• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd McShay mocks us to trade up with Miami to get Trey Lance

electro's horse

35 minutes ago, OldhamA said:
  • Be a three-year starter
  • Be a senior in college
  • Graduate from college
  • Start 30 games
  • Win 23 games
  • Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
  • Complete at least 60 percent of passes thrown

Source

There are a whooooooooooooole lot of bust QB's who meet that criteria, as well. Not saying those aren't valid....but there is a lot more to it than that. 

35 minutes ago, OldhamA said:
  • Be a senior in college
  • Graduate from college
  • Start 30 games
  • Win 23 games

Source

Yep.  Any guess how the current crop does using these parameters?  It's not good.  You know who could check more boxes in next year's crop.  Sam Howell.  Just saying

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There are a whooooooooooooole lot of bust QB's who meet that criteria, as well. Not saying those aren't valid....but there is a lot more to it than that. 

It's not a foolproof formula - although Herbert and Hurt ticked all seven boxes last year.

I don't think any QB ticks all those boxes this year. I think Wilson and Lawrence would be closest, if they graduated (obvs neither is a Senior).

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not absolutely convinced that Lance is worth the number eight.

I've seen some fans projecting an image of the next Cam Newton on to him that I don't think is really there.

Cam was the better athlete for sure, but they’re different players. Trey would have the benefit of not having Ron and Shula. 

54 minutes ago, OldhamA said:
  • Be a senior in college
  • Graduate from college
  • Start 30 games
  • Win 23 games

Source

If he had his rule as Herbert would have been the only day 1 QB he would draft and Hurts be the only day 2 that would have been really solid. 

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

McShay mocked Jordan Love at 6th last year.

And I mocked everyone wanting us to draft him. And I was a jerk for how I did it but I viewed him as the biggest boom or bust round 1 QB in years. He regressed too much from year 2 to year 3 for me. 

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

And I mocked everyone wanting us to draft him. And I was a jerk for how I did it but I viewed him as the biggest boom or bust round 1 QB in years. He regressed too much from year 2 to year 3 for me. 

There are people suggesting we trade a first for him this year.

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I was interested in Lance, then he missed the entire season.

He'd quite frankly be off my Draft board until the second round - he's too much of an unknown commodity. 

For once I can’t believe that I am actually agreeing with you. Lance is a late first, or an early second pick when all things are considered. His risk/reward dictates that his value will put him somewhere in the area you mentioned.

14 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It's not a foolproof formula - although Herbert and Hurt ticked all seven boxes last year.

I don't think any QB ticks all those boxes this year. I think Wilson and Lawrence would be closest, if they graduated (obvs neither is a Senior).

I mean if Trevor Lawrence ain't checking all the boxes.  No QBs ever check all the boxes. 

he is a Madden create a player in terms of his skill set.  3 undefeated regular seasons as the starter.  3 college playoff appearances.  2 natty appearances.  1 natty.  (and he beat the 2 best defenses he faced in the college playoffs 2018 Bama, 2019 Ohio St).   Football is a weird sport.  Tom Brady threw like 57 INTs the game before the Super Bowl and lost the Chicago Bears at one point.  Clemson's exits in the playoffs had more to do with defensive implosions throwing the games out of whack than anything. 

anyone can bust.  But Trevor checks every box you got IMO. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are people suggesting we trade a first for him this year.

I could see him panning out but I believe it’ll take years. He’s my worry with Lance as well though. That people are expecting him to come in year 1 and compete with Teddy and be ready to start year 2. I see him as a year 3 you can put him in the starting lineup and year 4 maybe he can take over games kind of player. 

He didn’t throw the ball in high school and spent just 1 of his three college years playing football that counts. He has the equivalent of 1 full season of throwing the ball over the last like 7 years. He will need plenty of time to adjust. 

The other side of the coin is if he can come in and pick things up quickly then maybe he is what people hoped the Cam Newtons of the NFL would be between running and passing. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean if Trevor Lawrence ain't checking all the boxes.  No QBs ever check all the boxes. 

he is a Madden create a player in terms of his skill set.  3 undefeated regular seasons as the starter.  3 college playoff appearances.  2 natty appearances.  1 natty.  (and he beat the 2 best defenses he faced in the college playoffs 2018 Bama, 2019 Ohio St).   Football is a weird sport.  Tom Brady threw like 57 INTs the game before the Super Bowl and lost the Chicago Bears at one point.  Clemson's exits in the playoffs had more to do with defensive implosions throwing the games out of whack than anything. 

anyone can bust.  But Trevor checks every box you got IMO. 

He’s talking about Parcells boxes for QB drafting. None of the QBs in the class checked all of them but Lawrence was the closest. Last year it was just two QBs. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I could see him panning out but I believe it’ll take years. He’s my worry with Lance as well though. That people are expecting him to come in year 1 and compete with Teddy and be ready to start year 2. I see him as a year 3 you can put him in the starting lineup and year 4 maybe he can take over games kind of player. 

He didn’t throw the ball in high school and spent just 1 of his three college years playing football that counts. He has the equivalent of 1 full season of throwing the ball over the last like 7 years. He will need plenty of time to adjust. 

The other side of the coin is if he can come in and pick things up quickly then maybe he is what people hoped the Cam Newtons of the NFL would be between running and passing. 

All valid.

Honestly, I have concerns with pretty much every one of the quarterback prospects we might get.