• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule continues to show why he's the right guy for the Panthers

NAS

20 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Agreed.  We have seen that he craves "football players" a lot more than "athletes".

And while you have to have both, you better have guys on that team who love the game and will hold others accountable.  Thomas Davis and Luke come to mind.

It's one of the reasons I have warned a lot of you to be on the lookout for Mac Jones in a Panthers uni.

I agree wholeheartedly. Football players who are students of the game are what you want. The guys who study it rather than just get out there and win on athleticism. 

And I am there with you on Mac Jones. I think he's the best choice for this team and our future. If we drop the first rounder on him straight up at 8 I will not complain one bit. Others will howl about it until about week six of the 2021 season. Then they'll be singing his praises.

Or cursing our stupidity if we don't take him. 

On 1/29/2021 at 8:08 AM, NAS said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/watching-matt-rhule-at-the-reeses-senior-bowl-is-a-treat-you-dont-want-to-miss

The hiring of Matt Rhule by the Carolina Panthers seemed to have upset a good portion of the fanbase and after a 5-11 season, there is doubt from that portion as to whether or not he is the guy to get the organization turned around.

We've mentioned many times before on here that Rhule has the blueprint to succeed in rebuilds. He did it at Temple and Baylor who were both in far worse situations when he took over than Carolina was in. It took him a couple of years to establish the culture and winning attitude but he was able to do so and turn those two schools into championship-caliber programs.

Rhule is someone that many people around the league believe will be great in the NFL because of how smart, passionate, and determined he is. If you haven't been watching the practices being run by Rhule and his staff at the Reese's Senior Bowl, you need to tune in. There may be only one or two guys participating at the Senior Bowl that will land with the Panthers but he is coaching these guys up as if they were his own players. That's something that these players will appreciate and will be something that will stick in their minds when their rookie contracts run out four years from now. 

Below is a clip of Rhule chewing out the team as a whole during Wednesday's practice. If his passion for the game doesn't excite you, I'm not sure what will.

This is exactly why guys want to play for Matt Rhule. Most coaches are just out there doing their job to get paid. Rhule is out here coaching these kids up hard because it's what he loves to do and he wants to make these guys better so that they can go on to have a successful NFL career.

Not only does being at the Senior Bowl help the Panthers' coaching staff help evaluate talent for this year's draft but it will help them establish relationships with many players. They're getting a taste for how Rhule and his staff coach and in turn, Rhule's staff gets a good feel for which guys they would love to have down the line if they are unable to select them in the draft. 

You forget the Undrafted Free Agents-some of these kids do not get picked.  I will wager that we sign 2-3 undrafted free agents from this game.

37 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Agreed.  We have seen that he craves "football players" a lot more than "athletes".

And while you have to have both, you better have guys on that team who love the game and will hold others accountable.  Thomas Davis and Luke come to mind.

It's one of the reasons I have warned a lot of you to be on the lookout for Mac Jones in a Panthers uni.

If we could get Slater in the first (maybe even trade back a few spaces) and Jones in the 2nd, that would rule.

15 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Football players who are students of the game are what you want. The guys who study it rather than just get out there and win on athleticism. 

And I am there with you on Mac Jones. I think he's the best choice for this team and our future. If we drop the first rounder on him straight up at 8 I will not complain one bit. Others will howl about it until about week six of the 2021 season. Then they'll be singing his praises.

Or cursing our stupidity if we don't take him. 

I would add that the difference I see between Matt and Ron---Ron connected with veterans--Rhule seems to be connected to the rookies more than RR was. Just an observation.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I would add that the difference I see between Matt and Ron---Ron connected with veterans--Rhule seems to be connected to the rookies more than RR was. Just an observation.

He does and he will and that's how you build for the long term. It's not like he isn't going to be close with the veteran players, just moreso when they are his veteran players.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:58 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

I like Rhule. He seems to connect with his players. Ron did too. The difference I see between Rhule and Ron is that Rhule seems willing to learn from his mistakes, accept them, and learn from them where Ron and Hurney would double down on their mistakes with bandaid approaches instead of being willing to say, "Well, damn... we fuged up. How do we actually FIX that instead of doing our best to put lipstick in this pig?"

The biggest difference between Rhule and Rivera is that Rhule is going to put the best player on the field regardless of status (Vet or Rookie)