• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Veteran

Epistaxis

is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life". - Anonymous

Thank you to the veterans of the past, present, and future for your service.

RIP Grandpa...WW2 Fighter Pilot

Your welcome, just doing my part.

My Grandfather pretty much started the tradition in my family. He was in the first modern Ranger Unit around 1943 when he was in Ireland. That's where our family tradition started.

Of around 30 cousins and Uncles to enlist in the military, 18 of us went Special Forces, most starting in a Ranger Bn. (either 1/75th or 2/75th) and went on to become either Marine LRRP, Navy SEALS, Green Berets, SFOD (Delta) or Ranger School instructors.

My path went 1/75th Ranger Bn., 160th SOAR (Night Stalkers) and then 1st SFOD (Delta). I had the luxury of serving with a couple of cousins along the way and I think the fact that my Grandfather saw a lot of us follow his lead really pleased him up to the day he was called on to leave this Earth to be with the Grandfathers.

Every time one of us would enlist, he would sit down and relay some of the horrors he experienced just so we understood what could possibly happen. I think that's what got me through a bunch. I was mentally prepared. My oldest Son is going to continue the tradition this coming summer after he graduates and I will make sure he is just as prepared as I was.

Until I got to Ranger School, I never understood my Grandfather's favorite Bible passage but now it is mine also. I am not much of a traditional religious person but when I read it and remember why it is used in the Ranger community, I do weep a bit.

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"

And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:8

And by "stuff" I mean the kind of "overdone" status of this holiday. Most of the vets I know are not really into the idea of treating us special. Most of us went in to get an education or get out of our hometown...yeah, we knew the risks but when you are young you know that always happens to other people, not you.

As a veteran, I think a lot of this stuff is based on guilt from people who didn't serve yet have no problems sending off other peoples kids to fight unnecessary wars.

That being said I got a 10 percent discount from Home Depot this weekend which was nice.

You can eat free at Apple Bee's too if you want.

For me. My dad served in Vietnam. He would not allow my brothers and I to own toy guns it rocked him so bad. Not till I was in high school he began to relent some.

He flat out did NOT want us to go into the military. He simply went thru some horrific caca and wasn't going to let us go.

That dude is the toughest guy I have ever known. I'm lucky he is still alive and flat cracks me up to this day.

Archived