• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Off-season approach....

musicman

What they will do is a mystery but looking at last year and with the cap being lower, here's some thoughts...

They signed a bunch of middle FA last year. Some worked, some didn't. I see that happening again to give them options in the draft. Kerr was a real good signing along with Robbie. Burris was good and picking up Douglas was good. Apple, Weatherly and Whitehead were not and all will be gone. Even the OL pickups of Miller (who would be good to keep another year) and Schofield were decent. I can't see any huge signings but mid-level ones that seem like we over paid but we'll get 2 or 3 good guys from it. I do not believe they will sign a FA QB. They've got TB. They'll resign Moton and find Samuels's replacement in the draft or a cheap/Beasley type signing for 1 year.

The draft we'll depend on who falls and if the QB available is who they want. I can see them going anywhere other than QB. I see top 3 rounds being at least an OL and CB pick.  All the other picks will depend on who they sign. If the perfect pick doesn't drop to them, they'll pass knowing they at least have a FA for that spot. 

I could see them trading down and getting a few more 2 or 3rd round picks too. No one guy will change the team to a playoff team but several can. 

Thoughts: If they don't take a OT in the 1st or 2nd round, we're looking at Daley, Scott and Little as our LT guys.... Our DL is solid with Burns, Matos, Obada, Kerr and Brown. Safety, I don't think they'll cut Boston and with Chinn and the Franklin, I don't think they sign anybody big (they keep Burris if anything) or draft too high unless some gem falls to them.... Defense - LB and CB are our biggest needs to really improve on. 

Offense; OL (HUGE need), TE (depends on Brady) and an extra WR. We have Bayless, who I could see him or someone being the 2nd WR and Moore moving to slot WR on occasions (using him like Samuel was used).  

I see a methodical approach to get better over time and not overnight. I think they're thinking even 2022 is a serious playoff team. Tepper said he was willing to take 5 years to become a perennial winner. He's not looking to be great in 2021, just better. The new GM came from that type of mentality too. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, musicman said:

What they will do is a mystery but looking at last year and with the cap being lower, here's some thoughts...

They signed a bunch of middle FA last year. Some worked, some didn't. I see that happening again to give them options in the draft. Kerr was a real good signing along with Robbie. Burris was good and picking up Douglas was good. Apple, Weatherly and Whitehead were not and all will be gone. Even the OL pickups of Miller (who would be good to keep another year) and Schofield were decent. I can't see any huge signings but mid-level ones that seem like we over paid but we'll get 2 or 3 good guys from it. I do not believe they will sign a FA QB. They've got TB. They'll resign Moton and find Samuels's replacement in the draft or a cheap/Beasley type signing for 1 year.

The draft we'll depend on who falls and if the QB available is who they want. I can see them going anywhere other than QB. I see top 3 rounds being at least an OL and CB pick.  All the other picks will depend on who they sign. If the perfect pick doesn't drop to them, they'll pass knowing they at least have a FA for that spot. 

I could see them trading down and getting a few more 2 or 3rd round picks too. No one guy will change the team to a playoff team but several can. 

Thoughts: If they don't take a OT in the 1st or 2nd round, we're looking at Daley, Scott and Little as our LT guys.... Our DL is solid with Burns, Matos, Obada, Kerr and Brown. Safety, I don't think they'll cut Boston and with Chinn and the Franklin, I don't think they sign anybody big (they keep Burris if anything) or draft too high unless some gem falls to them.... Defense - LB and CB are our biggest needs to really improve on. 

Offense; OL (HUGE need), TE (depends on Brady) and an extra WR. We have Bayless, who I could see him or someone being the 2nd WR and Moore moving to slot WR on occasions (using him like Samuel was used).  

I see a methodical approach to get better over time and not overnight. I think they're thinking even 2022 is a serious playoff team. Tepper said he was willing to take 5 years to become a perennial winner. He's not looking to be great in 2021, just better. The new GM came from that type of mentality too. 

I would love to see them bring in KJ Wright for the LB spot to go with Shaq. I was reading they could look at him

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

I would love to see them bring in KJ Wright for the LB spot to go with Shaq. I was reading they could look at him

Unless it is a pretty cheap deal, KJ Wright is probably not a great investment for the future. In the short term, he's great but it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to plug a need with an expensive player that isn't likely to be here for the culmination of the rebuild.

This is also likely KJ's last opportunity at a decent sized NFL contract.

• Beer 1

49 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Unless it is a pretty cheap deal, KJ Wright is probably not a great investment for the future. In the short term, he's great but it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to plug a need with an expensive player that isn't likely to be here for the culmination of the rebuild.

This is also likely KJ's last opportunity at a decent sized NFL contract.

Maybe he won't in a lower cap year. Could make a good 2 year stop gap and one less position to think about drafting. Not a bad option if the price is right.

• Flames 1

30 minutes ago, musicman said:

Maybe he won't in a lower cap year. Could make a good 2 year stop gap and one less position to think about drafting. Not a bad option if the price is right.

Yeah, a move like that all just comes down to price. KJ isn't the kind of player that is the one key piece to make us a good defense for a playoff caliber team, so we can't break the bank for that kind of upgrade. 

I am down for impact veterans if they are at the right price.

• Pie 1