• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official MLB Offseason Thread

tarheelblue89

Gotta be honest, I've never heard of these two guys in my life. But of course that doesn't mean that those stats aren't true, it's just me. :D

This is who we get: Ely who is one of their top 10 prospects and Link(who will likely not be much)

John Ely, RHP, Double-A

DOB: May 1986 Bats: R Throws: R

Signed: 2007 3rd round – University of Miami (Ohio)

MLB ETA: Late-2010 40-Man Roster: No Options: 3

Repertoire: 88-92 mph fastball, curveball, plus change-up

The opposite of Santeliz, Ely is a pitcher who utilizes solid command/control to help compensate for a below-average heater. The right-hander has the potential to be a solid back-of-the-rotation starter, although he’d be better off starting in the National League. In the AL, his future may be in the bullpen. Ely’s win-loss record was impressive in ‘09 at 14-2, but we know that says little-to-nothing about his value as a prospect. He did keep the hits down with 140 allowed in 156.1 innings, but his BABIP of .293 certainly helped. Ely’s walk rate hit a career high in ‘09 at double-A but it was just 2.88 BB/9. Unfortunately, his strikeout rate has diminished with each promotion in the minors and hit a career-low 7.20 K/9 this past season. After having some homer problems in ‘08 (1.11 HR/9), he solved those in ‘09 (0.52 HR/9) thanks to a +50% ground-ball rate. Ely struggled against left-handed hitters by posting a walk rate of 4.52 BB/9 and a .277 average (.341 BABIP). His average-allowed against right-handed batters was .215 (.257 BABIP) and his walk rate was just 1.55 BB/9.

Jon Link, rhp, White Sox: The Padres drafted Link in 2005 in the 26th round out of Bluefield (Va.) College, but Link left the organization in 2007 when the White Sox traded Rob Mackowiak to the Padres to acquire Link at the trading deadline. Link, 24, was excellent last season for Double-A Birmingham, finishing with a 3.02 ERA in 56 2/3 innings as the Barons’ closer. Link struck out 66 batters, averaging 10.5 strikeouts per nine innings. Link throws three pitches for strikes: a 90-92 mph fastball with some sink, a slider and a changeup. Link goes to his above-average slider for strikeouts, but his changeup is more than a show-me pitch and is an effective third weapon. There was some talk of moving Link to the starting rotation because of his three-pitch mix, but the White Sox will leave him in the bullpen. He still has to learn to harness his control, as he walked 27 batters (4.3 per nine) last year, though he was better in 2007 in high Class A when he walked just 15 batters in 58 2/3 innings (2.3 per nine).

http://www.ladodgertalk.com/2009/12/dodgers-trade-juan-pierre-to-chisox/

Archived