• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official MLB Offseason Thread

tarheelblue89

Weird how the Phils are going to wind up with who they were wanting to get in the first place. Big thing is Halladay willing to sign the extension. They didn't want to give up young talent (Drabek) for a rent a player. Many Phils fans are upset because they are losing Lee and he did so well with us. I like it, hope it works out and I think Halladay will be the NL Cy Young winner (If healthy and the bullpen can hold his work). I have full confidence in the moves Ruben Amaro makes.

I think JP and Pods are the same guy.

Yea, but I'd take JP's speed on the bases and in the outfield over Pods' abilities any day. Plus he doesn't strikeout as much as Pods does, and again he is a much better fielder.

Not so sold on him being an everyday CF, but I would not be against it. He had a great season last year.

Weird how the Phils are going to wind up with who they were wanting to get in the first place. Big thing is Halladay willing to sign the extension. They didn't want to give up young talent (Drabek) for a rent a player. Many Phils fans are upset because they are losing Lee and he did so well with us. I like it, hope it works out and I think Halladay will be the NL Cy Young winner (If healthy and the bullpen can hold his work). I have full confidence in the moves Ruben Amaro makes.
But what I don't get is, the net effect is the same before and after the trade. You started off with a frontline, Top 5 pitcher and ended up with a Top 5 (tops, really) pitcher. You guys needed depth and this didn't do that. I know it was for long term stability, but still kinda weird.

But what I don't get is, the net effect is the same before and after the trade. You started off with a frontline, Top 5 pitcher and ended up with a Top 5 (tops, really) pitcher. You guys needed depth and this didn't do that. I know it was for long term stability, but still kinda weird.

Phils went from a top 7-10 pitcher that we would probably lose after this year because of his asking price to the best in the league that we now have for 3 years that came at a cheaper price.

Lee isn't really a Philly type guy either, Halladay is that guy.

Yeah, but you could've had both for next year (and you lost Drabek anyway, which was always the hanging point on a Toronto/Philly trade anyway, right?), and Lee is "only" a 9MM guy. It's not the quality I wonder about, just the quantity.

For once, I agree with Passan:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aq9gtMpjmdQ0XeZshsie.RQ5nYcB?slug=jp-halladayleetrade121409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

He makes it sound like $9M is chump change which it isn't when you consider what else needs to be done. They just gave Victorino a raise, Werth has to be re signed (or is resigned) I believe, and Ruiz is due a raise and we need to help out our bullpen depth (Smoltz maybe)?

I dunno, I will wait till the dust settles, all the facts are straight, the excitement of signing Halladay wears off, and Amaro explains his reasoning to decide.

If this move were done with all prospects involved 8 months ago and Halladay signed an extension, the people in Philly would have been estactic over getting Halladay instead of Lee. H*ll they wanted Halladay over Lee even without the extension.

What scrummers is saying is what I mentioned in the thread specifically about this trade.

I'm not sure I get this from the Phils perspective, since I'd probably make a run with BOTH next year, if I could, rather than replacing one ace with another.

I thought Lee proved his worth in the playoffs.

Dude was flat out nasty.

Don't get me wrong, complete games and ol' skool pitchers like Halladay give me baseball wood, but I think with a bit of patience they coulda had their cake and ate it too.

Sox acquire Juan Pierre for two minor leaguers and cash. Goodbye Pods.

These 2 minor leaguers better be good, the Dodgers are paying 10 mill of his salary as well.

Supposodely one was 14-2 in Double A and the other had 13 saves in Triple A.

Worse, when Ramirez gets another roid suspension we'll have no one to play left field. :mad:

These 2 minor leaguers better be good, the Dodgers are paying 10 mill of his salary as well.

Supposodely one was 14-2 in Double A and the other had 13 saves in Triple A.

Worse, when Ramirez gets another roid suspension we'll have no one to play left field. :mad:

Gotta be honest, I've never heard of these two guys in my life. But of course that doesn't mean that those stats aren't true, it's just me. :D

Archived