• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Well, well, well. Zach Wilson is playing Coastal Carolina on Saturday 12/5 at 5:30 PM ESPNU.

2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I'm sure if Coastal Carolina flew out to Provo to play this game, the outcome would've swung the other way to BYU's favor. 

As for Wilson, I still have him as the 4th best QB in this draft...same as before this game. His performance against CCU did nothing to move the needle either way for me. 

Yeah, I really think the only reason BYU agreed to be the away team was because they legit thought they were that much better, otherwise you wouldn't do it.  So, yeah, being the traveling team definitely put them at a disadvantage.

And I think that's accurate re: Wilson.  My dream pick is Fields.  Really like Lawrence too, but there is something about Fields that is very Cam-esque.  But, if we were forced into picking Wilson, I could see reasons to be excited about it.  His supporting cast was fairly unatheltic and unimpressive looking, imo...  if he was given the guys here, that could be fun.

1 hour ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Id agree if it was an early game. This is just a hypothetical designed to back up a point. In actuality it was a 4 hour flight. Would not have been much different then flying to play Washington.

Only 2 hr time difference and hardly any crowd and a late game. Seems a weak excuse.

51 minutes ago, Yaboychris28 said:

Not impressed. More impressed with the DE #94 from CC

With some of the dirty stunts he pulled I would not touch him.  You do stuff like he did in the NFL you either get suspended or lit up by a pissed of TE or big WR on a crackback block.

The guys I would not want is anyone from the BYU defense.  There D line was in the backfield a lot, but they could not find the ball.  300 yards rushing, against a spread, shotgun, triple option that no one else runs, don't look good.

In the pocket, I thought Wilson looked like the best QB I have seen this year in college.  He knows how to slide in the pocket and move up and left or right and keep his feet square to his target at the same time.  I don't know who said he doesn't have a strong arm but I heard one of the announcers say something about it and I am pretty sure there are some guys on this board that knows more about football than him.  He may not have Cam's arm coming out of Auburn but he has more than he will ever need in the NFL.

You can't pick your teammates in college but if his WR's didn't drop like 5 balls, 1 on 4th down, and turn a 4 yard gain into a 20 yard loss at midfield, that might have been the dumbest thing I have seen a player do at any level in years, they win this game and its not close.  Even with the pressure he was getting he still looked good.

Before this game he was my #3 QB now, he might really be #2 and the only one I would draft in the 1st round this year.  Unless some miracle happens and Lawrence falls.  But I would say Wilson in the 1st, Mac Jones in the 2nd or don't draft a QB.

2 hours ago, jb2288 said:

Lance or Trask as your 3? 

Lance. I think he did enough over the previous years at NDSU and will ball out at the underwear olympics in the spring. 

Trevor

Fields

Lance

Wilson

After these guys, I think Trask, Newman and Ridder are in that next tier. I'm not a Mac Jones fan, but I think it's because outside of Tua, almost all 'Bama QBs are garbage in the NFL. 

21 minutes ago, bababoey said:

With some of the dirty stunts he pulled I would not touch him.  You do stuff like he did in the NFL you either get suspended or lit up by a pissed of TE or big WR on a crackback block.

The guys I would not want is anyone from the BYU defense.  There D line was in the backfield a lot, but they could not find the ball.  300 yards rushing, against a spread, shotgun, triple option that no one else runs, don't look good.

In the pocket, I thought Wilson looked like the best QB I have seen this year in college.  He knows how to slide in the pocket and move up and left or right and keep his feet square to his target at the same time.  I don't know who said he doesn't have a strong arm but I heard one of the announcers say something about it and I am pretty sure there are some guys on this board that knows more about football than him.  He may not have Cam's arm coming out of Auburn but he has more than he will ever need in the NFL.

You can't pick your teammates in college but if his WR's didn't drop like 5 balls, 1 on 4th down, and turn a 4 yard gain into a 20 yard loss at midfield, that might have been the dumbest thing I have seen a player do at any level in years, they win this game and its not close.  Even with the pressure he was getting he still looked good.

Before this game he was my #3 QB now, he might really be #2 and the only one I would draft in the 1st round this year.  Unless some miracle happens and Lawrence falls.  But I would say Wilson in the 1st, Mac Jones in the 2nd or don't draft a QB.

Defending a triple option is all about assignment discipline and being prepared to face that style of offense. If you're not ready for it you're likely to get gashed. You're not getting ready for it in 60 hours.

44 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Lance. I think he did enough over the previous years at NDSU and will ball out at the underwear olympics in the spring. 

Trevor

Fields

Lance

Wilson

After these guys, I think Trask, Newman and Ridder are in that next tier. I'm not a Mac Jones fan, but I think it's because outside of Tua, almost all 'Bama QBs are garbage in the NFL. 

I agree with most of this, except.....

You can't really judge Mac Jones based on Bama QB's not doing well. I mean, Justin Fields is at Ohio State, their track record is worse than Bamas. We had Cam Newton here, before that Auburn had no NFL QB success. If you feel Jones is a good QB prospect, don't let the Bama narrative get in the way.

Coastal had a gameplan in place for Liberty. Then suddenly had to change things up and prepare for an offense scoring 48 points per game in the same time frame. They held that offense to 17 points. 

Honestly, CCU was still preparing for Liberty on Wednesday with uncertainty about which way things would go. Coastal could not turn their attention to BYU until Thursday morning when the change was announced. However, BYU didn't have a game scheduled, and most likely started gathering info and preparing for CCU on Wednesday just in case. BYU may have actually had more prep time.

1 hour ago, bababoey said:

I still don’t see what anyone saw that would watch this game and bump Fields from 2 to 3 for this kid. He would have had to been playing Bama for three flashy throws, one touchdown, one interception and a loss to catapult you over a Fields. People should not be so easily swayed over one game. 

23 minutes ago, Varking said:

I still don’t see what anyone saw that would watch this game and bump Fields from 2 to 3 for this kid. He would have had to been playing Bama for three flashy throws, one touchdown, one interception and a loss to catapult you over a Fields. People should not be so easily swayed over one game. 

If you didn't watch the game and just want to throw out stats and numbers fine.  I just looked at him when BYU had the ball and what he did was very impressive to me.  What the BYU receivers and OL did during the game didn't really factor into my opinion.

58 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I agree with most of this, except.....

You can't really judge Mac Jones based on Bama QB's not doing well. I mean, Justin Fields is at Ohio State, their track record is worse than Bamas. We had Cam Newton here, before that Auburn had no NFL QB success. If you feel Jones is a good QB prospect, don't let the Bama narrative get in the way.

I think Bama and OSU fall into same category though. It’s so so hard to evaluate those guys because they have the best coaching, OL, and WR. So I think it’s fair to say to an extent, those 2 schools can give you a knock at QB. 

39 minutes ago, bababoey said:

If you didn't watch the game and just want to throw out stats and numbers fine.  I just looked at him when BYU had the ball and what he did was very impressive to me.  What the BYU receivers and OL did during the game didn't really factor into my opinion.

Yeah... watched the game live with a bunch of others here and we commented all throughout the game. This has nothing to do with watching stats pop up and making an assumption. Just a few pages ago you can see myself, as well as others comment live about that game and a few of the others. I don’t know where comments like that come from. 

1 hour ago, jb2288 said:

I think Bama and OSU fall into same category though. It’s so so hard to evaluate those guys because they have the best coaching, OL, and WR. So I think it’s fair to say to an extent, those 2 schools can give you a knock at QB. 

Yes, that was my point. Most of us see Fields as the 2nd best, but discredit Jones because of the Alabama narrative. You can say the same thing about any Alabama or Ohio State QB, including Fields. I have Fields as number 2, but I also have my worries about him. He struggled a little at Georgia. Was that due to being a freshman? Was it because he didn't get consistent playing time? Is the Ohio State system making him look better? Can a Ohio State QB finally succeed in the NFL? Can he go through progressions and reads? I ask the last one, because at OSU he mostly has one read because their system is able to get guys into separation. He hasn't faced great competition on the Big 10, and OSU has such an athletic and speed advantage on other Big 10 teams. Having said all of this, man I wish the Panthers could draft Fields. LOL

Archived