• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Well, well, well. Zach Wilson is playing Coastal Carolina on Saturday 12/5 at 5:30 PM ESPNU.

Anyway, trolls aside...

Things I like about Wilson:

Arm strength. Mobility. Accuracy when set. Decision making - doesn't throw many "danger balls" while still taking shots. Competitiveness and level headedness - kept his head in the game and gave his team a chance despite his OL playing poorly and his receivers dropping balls. Delivers the ball quickly, albeit unconventionally.

Areas of concern:

Injury history - he's had two surgeries on his throwing arm. Slight frame - even more concerning considering the injury history. Runs a little recklessly - again, even more concerning given the injury history and slight frame. He definitely gets hurried and sees his accuracy slip when he hears footsteps, but at least his misses are generally safe. He misses low instead of sailing it high. Unconventional throwing motion and release.

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Overall, I'm intrigued by Wilson's talent and skill set. That BYU OL was trash tonight and his receivers were subpar. And you have to give credit to Coastal Carolina. That D lived up to their name and they were swarming. BYU still came within a yard of walking away with a win after flying across the country on three days' notice. Props to both teams for stepping up and making that game happen.

Not sure what people expect from a QB when the OL is giving hardly any time and receivers are dripping balls.

I got called away from the game for a little bit but got back to watch the final drive.

Pretty much agree. I'm impressed with Wilson. BYU, not so much.

As far as the throwing motion issues, I notice it when he's throwing to his right. As long as he's throwing to the left or to the middle, it looks pretty normal. It's just to the right that it seems funky.

Bottom Line: I'm still very concerned about him physically being able to take the pounding an NFL player takes.

But does his skill level merit being picked at #7?

I'd be okay with it.

3 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Slow start but BYU is gonna roll from here on out.

This post didn’t age well.  I love how people are talking about BYU talent.  That BYU talent is same BYU talent they’ve had all year.  You know the talent that’s helped him get those yards and TD.  Truth seems to me that they knew they weren’t that good that’s why they dodged Washington to play what they thought would be an easy win against a ranked opponent.  The exact opposite happened.  He had a few nice passes, he looked rattled with pressure.  Kid looks to have promise but nowhere near third QB in the draft.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Anyway, trolls aside...

Things I like about Wilson:

Arm strength. Mobility. Accuracy when set. Decision making - doesn't throw many "danger balls" while still taking shots. Competitiveness and level headedness - kept his head in the game and gave his team a chance despite his OL playing poorly and his receivers dropping balls. Delivers the ball quickly, albeit unconventionally.

Areas of concern:

Injury history - he's had two surgeries on his throwing arm. Slight frame - even more concerning considering the injury history. Runs a little recklessly - again, even more concerning given the injury history and slight frame. He definitely gets hurried and sees his accuracy slip when he hears footsteps, but at least his misses are generally safe. He misses low instead of sailing it high. Unconventional throwing motion and release.

Sounds like Teddy lol!!!

Just now, weyco2000 said:

Sounds like Teddy lol!!!

Huge difference in arm strength and aggressive mentality.

Teddy is very physically limited in terms of arm strength in the NFL and I honestly think that's why he's so super conservative. Usually when he gambles it ends poorly. See that happen time and time again and sooner or later you either get conservative or get bounced from the league. 

2 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Not a perfect prospect but those are rare, I'd talk myself into it if he's the pick like I always do and so will a lot of his current detractors. I dont have a fave player in this draft which helps too. 

Pretty much this. I'm not banging the table for him but I can understand it if we pick him. Better re-sign Moton though. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I got called away from the game for a little bit but got back to watch the final drive.

Pretty much agree. I'm impressed with Wilson. BYU, not so much.

As far as the throwing motion issues, I notice it when he's throwing to his right. As long as he's throwing to the left or to the middle, it looks pretty normal. It's just to the right that it seems funky.

Bottom Line: I'm still very concerned about him physically being able to take the pounding an NFL player takes.

But does his skill level merit being picked at #7?

I'd be okay with it.

So in essence the general consensus that I get from some on here regarding Wilson is this:  Though he lost to CCU it's not indicative of his QB play since he has crappy WRs and a bad Oline, however when he wins....it's in spite of that?

That makes no sense.  Wilson....is not the answer.

Hard hard pass.  I saw a 5th round guy vying for a 3rd spot.  I saw nothing that said 1st round talent. 

So it's only natural that we draft him high because....you know Hurndog.

Just now, TheMaulClaw said:

So in essence the general consensus that I get from some on here regarding Wilson is this:  Though he lost to CCU it's not indicative of his QB play since he has crappy WRs and a bad Oline, however when he wins....it's in spite of that?

That makes no sense.  Wilson....is not the answer.

Hard hard pass.  I saw a 5th round guy vying for a 3rd spot.  I saw nothing that said 1st round talent. 

So it's only natural that we draft him high because....you know Hurndog.

I think you only saw the outcome of a game and didn't pay attention to a specific player.

When your team is losing the battle at the line of scrimmage it can absolutely limit a QB’s ability. It how the Giants beat Brady both times. I wouldn’t put too much stock into one game and it’s not like he even played bad. I prefer Lance, but if we draft Wilson I will be happy.

Archived