• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New study shows vegans 43% more likely to suffer broken bones than meat eaters

Ricky Spanish

23 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vegans-43-more-likely-suffer-23052064

This only confirms my original stance on the matter: Veganism is perfectly fine for your average Joe blow trying to improve overall health and nutrition but detrimental to athletes in a physical sport like football.

Anyone on the team a vegan that we know of? 

Vegans are 43% more likely to be doing something active other than sitting on their couch.

5 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Stick to making D- list films, my guy. You don’t have a dog in this fight which is why you resort to name calling and race-baiting per usual.

unless you can waddle back in here with a peer reviewed article you've had published in an academic journal literally none of us care about your opinion besides literal snake handler and klan member JOAT

@PhillyB

The associations were attenuated further but remained significant in vegans with additional adjustment for dietary calcium (1.31; 1.10, 1.57, Table 2 model 3), total dietary protein (1.39; 1.16, 1.67, Table 2 model 4), or both dietary factors simultaneously (1.30; 1.08, 1.56, Table 2 model 5)."

So if you control for both calcium and protein intake, there's still a 30% higher chance of a vegan getting a fracture, and the p value is 0.009 (0.05 being the threshold for statistically significant). 

The study itself goes into great depth. Don't write it off just because you disagree with it.

Also from study lead author Dr Tammy Tong,

"Well-balanced and predominantly plant-based diets can result in improved nutrient levels and have been linked to lower risks of diseases including heart disease and diabetes.

"Individuals should take into account the benefits and risks of their diet, and ensure they have adequate levels of calcium and protein and also maintain a healthy BMI, that is, neither under nor overweight."

Correlation not causation? Maybe the people who were vegan/vegetarian were more active? Were the breaks from overuse or were they acute injuries? Did the people who ate meat do more activities that triggers osteoblasts and the ossification of bone?

I’m no scientists, but these are the first questions that come to mind. It’s more of an observation than study, but interesting. 

4 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

unless you can waddle back in here with a peer reviewed article you've had published in an academic journal literally none of us care about your opinion besides literal snake handler and klan member JOAT

Did you even read up on the article? If I presented 15 peer reviewed RCTs you would still have nothing of value to in which to counter and then drop some half baked racist comment per usual. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Correlation not causation? Maybe the people who were vegan/vegetarian were more active? Were the breaks from overuse or were they acute injuries? Did the people who ate meat do more activities that triggers osteoblasts and the ossification of bone?

I’m no scientists, but these are the first questions that come to mind. It’s more of an observation than study, but interesting. 

They controlled for activity level, among other things.

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-020-01815-3

11 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

@PhillyB

The study itself goes into great depth. Don't write it off just because you disagree with it.

Also from study lead author Dr Tammy Tong,

"Well-balanced and predominantly plant-based diets can result in improved nutrient levels and have been linked to lower risks of diseases including heart disease and diabetes.

"Individuals should take into account the benefits and risks of their diet, and ensure they have adequate levels of calcium and protein and also maintain a healthy BMI, that is, neither under nor overweight."

no issue with that. i'm not vegan, i just don't think that study in the OP (or its conclusions per the article) are applicable in any way to pro athletes 

Archived