• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC designated to return from IR

exactlyzack

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This is actually a smart move.  Even if he doesn't play, designating him to return means he COULD play, which means you have to prepare for him.

Maybe to an extent. They have to put him on the active roster first. Currently he is just designated to return to practice.

https://www.panthers.com/news/christian-mccaffrey-designated-for-return

39 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm thinking whether he plays on Thursday night will depend a lot on the weather. If the field is in bad condition, expect him to be inactive. Or at least, that's the way I'd play it.

I'd just hold him out regardless. It's the Falcons and we should be able to beat them again without him. If not then this season's playoff hopes aren't realistic and we should be thinking long term anyways. I don't think there's a soul out there who thinks we could actually win the SB this season, even if we could sneak into the playoffs. 10 extra days to heal will go a long way and I'd much prefer to do what we can to avoid this becoming a lingering longer term issue for McCaffrey than to risk it for 1 game in a rebuilding season.

7 minutes ago, t96 said:

I'd just hold him out regardless. It's the Falcons and we should be able to beat them again without him. If not then this season's playoff hopes aren't realistic and we should be thinking long term anyways. I don't think there's a soul out there who thinks we could actually win the SB this season, even if we could sneak into the playoffs. 10 extra days to heal will go a long way and I'd much prefer to do what we can to avoid this becoming a lingering longer term issue for McCaffrey than to risk it for 1 game in a rebuilding season.

I mean it’s fair to assume he is fully recovered. It has been 6 weeks on a 4-6 week injury timeline 

also, reading your posts was very depressing. Haha. Talk about just fold over and die.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I mean it’s fair to assume he is fully recovered. It has been 6 weeks on a 4-6 week injury timeline 

it's been closer to 5 weeks and will not have been 6 weeks on Thursday. I still think better to be safe than sorry. It'd be one thing if we had a chance to actually contend this season, but we should be thinking long run here.

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

it's been closer to 5 weeks and will not have been 6 weeks on Thursday. I still think better to be safe than sorry. It'd be one thing if we had a chance to actually contend this season, but we should be thinking long run here.

Sounds like he has recovered then. Especially since he was the one who took off the red jersey today.

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Just the way you were referring to our playoff and super bowl chances. I was poking fun at that.

Ehh I'm as optimistic as most can be. Even after the last 2 losses I think we still have a realistic chance at making the playoffs. But objectively I just can't see any way this team right now could win the SB this year. Only way would be if all the other contenders we were playing lost top players to COVID -- I guess it's possible...? Many talking heads and fans league wide thought we'd be a dumpster fire team like the NFC East, Jets, Jags, etc. and that we'd have the worst defense in the league. On paper going into the season, those weren't the dumbest predictions. We've already far surpassed expectations of this season and I think we'll only keep getting better but despite how far ahead of the rebuild we are, we just aren't there yet this year to actually compete for a SB. If we do, I'll be the happiest shocked person in the world. I just don't see it.

And in a year like that I think you play it safe with your cornerstone players who are injured. If McCaffrey is truly 100% over the ankle injury with no more chance of aggravating it now than at any time in the future, then I have no problem with playing him Thursday. I just still expect us to be conservative and hold him out for another 10 days. We'll see though, I wouldn't be surprised either way it goes.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would prefer he not play, but I'm all about some gamesmanship to try to force the Falcons to prepare for him. That's just smart.

Same, I hope he’s not playing and we sit him until next week.  I’d rather be cautious over rushing him back.  Our RB depth is pretty sad right now, but we beat the Falcons in ATL for the first time in like 6 years and got Quinn fired, so honestly my personal Falcons demons have been exorcised

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, looks like he's playing. If he's ready, great. No reason to hold him out. I just hope we're not rushing him back too soon, especially with what amounts to a mini bye week with the 10 day rest following Thursday's game.

I doubt this staff is rushing him back because there is zero pressure to. 

Archived