• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tankathon Mock Draft. All 3 QB's go top 10. Carolina takes Kyle Pitts. Yeesh.

I cringe a bit at picking a TE that high, but unless Thomas suddenly comes to life, it is certainly a position of need.  TE's aren't generally first round selections, let alone first half of the first round.  I did a little looking at who was selected in the top 15 picks (arbitrary line on my part) that had good careers (again, no definite line but an arbitrary judgement on my part based on longevity and productivity).  I went back as far as 1979 because I knew Kellen Winslow (Sr) was there and he changed the position, in my eyes.

• 2006 – Vernon Davis, SF, 6th pick
  • 2002 – Jeremy Shockey, NYG, 14th pick
  • 2000 – Bubba Franks, GB, 14th pick
  • 1997 – Tony Gonzalez, KC, 13th pick
  • 1995 – Kyle Brady, NYJ, 9th pick
  • 1988 – Keith Jackson, PHL, 13th pick
  • 1979 – Kellen Winslow, SD, 13th pick

Not a big list, but by my count only 15 TEs fit the criteria of top 15 picks in that period.  A couple others had decent careers (5 or so years) but were not huge impact players.  So, the question is whether Pitts is one of the above guys or Rickey Dudley (Raiders 1996 #9 pick who had moments, stuck around, but was never able to consistently live up to expectations).

Later in the first round we find Todd Heap (2001 #31 pick by the Ravens), Dallas Clark (Colts 2003 #24), Heath Miller (Steelers 2005 #30), and some guy named Greg Olsen (Bears 2007 #30).

I'd still be inclined to look elsewhere, but after looking at the list of "comps" I am less instinctively against the idea.

2 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I agree that Pitts might be the best TE prospect over the past 10 years, but both Ebon and Howard were very highly rated prospects.

I posted this earlier:

Top 5 TEs based on yardage this year:

Kelce RD2, Kittle RD5, Waller RD6, Gisicki RD2, Henry RD2

1st round TEs 2014-2019

Ebron, Howard, Engram, Njoku, Hurst, Hockenson, Fant

I get the temptation though, in today's NFL I really think you want to have at least 2 true difference makers on offense in the passing game.  With Kelce and Hill, KC has two guys that both can beat single converge consistently, you can't double everyone.

There definitely would be worst choices for us in the first round.  I wouldn't be opposed to Rondale Moore depending on where we draft, even though a lot of people think we are set at WR.  I'm not convinced we will pay Samuel.

As I said, I completely hear the argument. I just see it as the Jaguars picking Tyson Alualu in the top 10 and then thinking every lineman years later should be avoided early because of him. It’s not Pitts fault that GMs fell in love with guys who had potential without monster production. I want Justin Fields but I know that is a pipe dream unless we lose out. We will probably find a way to get one more win and be at 4 for the year. At that point it’s likely too high for Pitts but I do believe in terms of talent level for their position he’s head, shoulders and torso over the next closest candidate. There are more important positions that TE but when we are in a multi year rebuild we should be getting the best possible talent at each pick and building for another year or two before we hope to turn the corner and win consistently. 

I’m just looking at it like:

Is Lawrence far and away beyond Fields? No. We know he is better but it’s not a massive drop off. You can make the argument for Fields though.

Is Jamar Chase far and away the best receiver in the class? To me he is the best, easily but you can make an argument for JW on Bama amongst other kids. 

Is Sewell far and away the best offensive lineman? Yes, in my eyes and it’s not close. But he is falling past pick 3. 

Is Pitts far and away the best talent at TE? Yes. Has his performance so far in 2020 blown the doors off of any other TE season over the last 20 years? Sure looks that way. The second best and third best TEs aren’t having similar productions. He’s running away from the field and he would be available I believe. 

Could go position by position between first and second player in each field and repeat the same.  Outside of Sewell for left tackle, Pitts at TE is the only other guy lapping the field at their position. 

Archived