• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week 5 Power Rankings

exactlyzack

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-bills-are-the-real-deal

Rank

Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers
2-2

Previous rank: No. 24

The Panthers have something in the pairing of Teddy Bridgewater and 31-year-old offensive coordinator Joe Brady. Carolina appeared to be in major trouble when Christian McCaffrey went down with an ankle injury in Week 2, but the offense has put up points with ease in two straight wins since the All-Pro running back was moved to IR. Bridgewater is thriving, and that 18-yard touchdown scramble -- his first scoring run since his horrific knee injury in the summer of '16 -- told the story of a player who's made it all the way back. The defense also deserves credit: After managing a league-low nine QB pressures in the first two weeks, per Next Gen Stats, the pass rush has come to life behind Brian Burns and Yetur Gross-Matos. The Panthers are certified frisky.

It's absolutely amazing to see us go from the bottom of the league basically to the middle of the pack in just 2 weeks. Give credit where it's due, our coaching staff has taken a bunch of unknowns and rookies and have them playing with heart and just overall fun. Our future is bright yall, regardless of how the rest of the season turns out.

Just now, jfra78 said:

Not expecting playoffs this year, but its fun to see this team exceeding expectations.

I'm not expecting to make the playoffs either, but I think it's actually a realistic possibility this year (something I would not have believed at all before the season started -- Rhule and the coaching staff have convinced me we can compete immediately). It may only take 9 wins to get the last wildcard spot with the expanded playoffs now too... We'll see how we look against some better teams but the schedule is actually looking easier and easier as we go and I think we can compete within the division too. Our optimism could quickly change though with a loss to the bottom feeder Falcons....

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

I'm not expecting to make the playoffs either, but I think it's actually a realistic possibility this year (something I would not have believed at all before the season started -- Rhule and the coaching staff have convinced me we can compete immediately). It may only take 9 wins to get the last wildcard spot with the expanded playoffs now too... We'll see how we look against some better teams but the schedule is actually looking easier and easier as we go and I think we can compete within the division too. Our optimism could quickly change though with a loss to the bottom feeder Falcons....

I think next year is our year, the rest of the division will be rebuilding at that point

The next 2 games are winnable. If we win those against a down and out Falcons team and Bears team that is worse than their record then I will start thinking playoffs. There is an extra wild card this year and the NFC kinda sucks. The competition for those three spots will be 3 NFC West teams and the Saints(or Bucs).

Archived