• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So, The Panthers might have gotten a franchise safety/LB, a franchise DT, and a franchise DE in the same draft.

17 hours ago, Tbe said:

Just remember, if Ron was still here NONE of those guys (maybe Brown) would get playing time. 

Well, watching Buffalo over the last few years, its been made quite clear there was at least one other person other than Cam saving Ron’s stupid ass during the Rivera Regime.

13 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I'm not ruling this possibility out, but Hurney was GM across multiple coaching staffs, with mediocre results, so the onus is really more on him to prove he wasn't the problem. Also as GM in theory he hires and fires those coaches, so their performance is on him as well.

"Multiple coaching staffs" = Fox and Rivera...who were pretty much the same kind of dinosaur antiquated coaches.  The GM's job has always been to acquire players that fit the coach's vision/scheme.

Hurney + Fox = terrible

Hurney + Rivera = terrible

Hurney + Rhule = TBD...could be a strong pairing.

And hell, by your own argument...Hurney is responsible for hiring Rhule and therefore Rhule's "performance" is on him as well.  So giving Rhule singular credit for the draft/offseason contradicts your own logic.  Unless Hurney gets blame for the failures of Fox/Rivera but no credit for the successes of Rhule for some reason...which goes back to what that other guy said about Rhule getting all the praise and Hurney getting all the blame.

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Seahawks knocked it out of the park drafting early on in Carroll's career. Maybe due to his familiarity with players from the college game either from scouting opponents or from the recruiting trail? Could we be seeing something similar happening here with Rhule? I hope so.

Yep. There’s no doubt that Rhule & Co and even Brady (saw a lot of Brown) had a lot of input this draft. We didn’t see any reaches or just plain bad picks. I mean 4 of the 7 played for, against or were recruited (that we heard of) by the coaches. In Marty’s pre-Rhule drafts there were just plain awful picks that we discussed immediately.

I do think getting a real good GM in here would be extremely valuable as Rhule & Co get to a point where they’ve got no extra insight on players. Marty by himself is Moore, Burns and I guess Donte, who’s just average at best, and that’s with a 3rd for Norwell and a 3rd for KB.

11 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

"Multiple coaching staffs" = Fox and Rivera...who were pretty much the same kind of dinosaur antiquated coaches.  The GM's job has always been to acquire players that fit the coach's vision/scheme.

Hurney + Fox = terrible

Hurney + Rivera = terrible

Hurney + Rhule = TBD...could be a strong pairing.

And hell, by your own argument...Hurney is responsible for hiring Rhule and therefore Rhule's "performance" is on him as well.  So giving Rhule singular credit for the draft/offseason contradicts your own logic.  Unless Hurney gets blame for the failures of Fox/Rivera but no credit for the successes of Rhule for some reason...which goes back to what that other guy said about Rhule getting all the praise and Hurney getting all the blame.

Rhule is quite obviously Tepper's hire. How you could watch the comments by Tepper and not be convinced of that would be hard to fathom. To be fair it's a hire that seems endorsed by Hurney. With regards to Hurney as the gm for Fox and Rivera, Richardson clearly both believed in minimal coaching turnover and at least claimed to espouse an owner's hands off approach, so on paper it's Hurney's call to remove them if needed.  While I doubt that Hurney ever made such a case to his owner in either instance, I'll also grant it seem unlikely Richardson would have approved such a move based on what we know of him, so i'm willing to meet you halfway on that point.

However one thing we do know about Hurney as a gm that HC is pretty much irrelevant to is his contract negotiation skill set, and that not only was terrible, but has shown zero signs of improvement with Hurney 2.0. 

I am inclined to give Rhule more credit for the draft/offseason than Hurney based on the rather simple logic that it appears a vast improvement over past drafts/offseasons and Rhule is the variable that changed, not Hurney. Occam's Razor would suggest he is the most likely cause of the change.

It's like each week a different youngster flashes. Chinn, Burns, Douglas, Brown (even though some think he hasn't). 

Yesterday, YGM took his turn and looked like the prospect we had hoped we were getting. Love his energy and motor. 

Next week.... Pride houses a Matt Ryan floater.

Archived