• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So, The Panthers might have gotten a franchise safety/LB, a franchise DT, and a franchise DE in the same draft.

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It is waaaaay too early to be throwing around "franchise."

Hard not to be happy about having so many rookies contributing regularly and occasionally playing very well. 

We need those kind of drafts to make this rebuild happen quickly.

Agree. We all thought Boston and Bene were franchise DBs in 2014...

YGM looked a lot like Mike Rucker today. That's a solid compliment.

Chinn is astounding.

Brown is making himself known and if you watch the lines, he's doing a lot of the dirty work down there and has somehow gotten KK to help out.

Pride has been doing well, but somehow old Corn Elder has been showing up. That's nice.

I really think after our 15-1 season we just saw our defensive coaching staff poached right out from under us and we never recovered, just filling in with a "next man up" attitude for the coaches. I'm sure they looked at it as opportunities given, but it was just a grinding down of coaching capabilities. The new defensive coaching staff seems to have invigorated the place, worked on skills and been greatly improved by the releasing of a few monoliths on D that had big paychecks and tiny motors.

All Hail the new kids!

4 hours ago, Tbe said:

Outside of Brown those aren’t typical Hurney guys. That draft is all Rhule and co.

A typical Hurney guy! I thought the GM's job is to get the guys that best fit in a team's system--guys who coaches certainly get on their soap box for.

In any event, the acquisition of personnel should be a collaborative effort. I have to give them all credit. 

Bravvion Roy is doing a good job also.

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Chinn was a GREAT pick. Brown and Matos were guys I could have seen under Hurney/Rivera. But they fact they’re being coached up and used correctly is the biggest change.

Everyone's draft wish Simmons contributed.... 1 tackle today 10 on the season....

Chinn had 8 today and 35 on the season heck he has two times as many solo tackles than Simmons does TOTAL.

3 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Eh.....

Hurney has a long established track record of being not exactly the greatest GM in the world. If the drafting decisions suddenly look markedly better than past performance, I'm going to give more of the credit for that to the new guy rather than assume the one who has always been mediocre is suddenly doing better.

Or maybe Hurney finally has a coach who knows how to best utilize the talent he’s been given? A ton of snaps are being given to players who Hurney drafted and or signed as free agents prior to Rhule getting here. 

2 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Or maybe Hurney finally has a coach who knows how to best utilize the talent he’s been given? A ton of snaps are being given to players who Hurney drafted and or signed as free agents prior to Rhule getting here. 

I will say one thing, It would appear he isn't shackled by a coach who wants low ceiling players.... RR and JF both did that.

3 minutes ago, panther4life said:

I'm not ruling this possibility out, but Hurney was GM across multiple coaching staffs, with mediocre results, so the onus is really more on him to prove he wasn't the problem. Also as GM in theory he hires and fires those coaches, so their performance is on him as well.

3 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I'm not ruling this possibility out, but Hurney was GM across multiple coaching staffs, with mediocre results, so the onus is really more on him to prove he wasn't the problem. Also as GM in theory he hires and fires those coaches, so their performance is on him as well.

I agree with that but I do feel we held onto Fox and Rivera for too long. Hard to tell if that’s all on him or the ownership bears some blame for that too. 

Also worth mentioning Hurney said he had time to reflect on and learn from previous mistakes. I feel like he’s doing a much better job this time around. Hard to blame him for some of Rivera’s ineptitude towards the end and Cam getting hurt really didn’t help matters either. For the sake of all fans, let’s hope we finally found the fight head coach/GM combo for the long haul. 

This conversation again? Didnt we already go over this during the draft?  It looks different because there is a different coach.  The GM picks players who fit what the coach wants.  Even more than that, there is a decision making process that includes the coach, so with the coaching change the outcome would be different.  People have a hard time giving Marty any kind of credit

53 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Everyone's draft wish Simmons contributed.... 1 tackle today 10 on the season....

Chinn had 8 today and 35 on the season heck he has two times as many solo tackles than Simmons does TOTAL.

Rule 1: never listen to Huddle GMs.

5 hours ago, panther4life said:

If things turn out great, Rhule will get all the praise, if they go South Hurney will get all the blame. 

In reality it should be equally distributed amongst the 2, as I believe they are collaborating on all of these decisions. 

Hurney had a decade and a half learning from fuging up an nfl franchise, and was rehired, Rhule just finished his 4th game ever in the NFL as HC. Not even remotely close.

2 hours ago, jfra78 said:

This conversation again? Didnt we already go over this during the draft?  It looks different because there is a different coach.  The GM picks players who fit what the coach wants.  Even more than that, there is a decision making process that includes the coach, so with the coaching change the outcome would be different.  People have a hard time giving Marty any kind of credit

Bro he's had like 3 winning seasons in 13 years. Are we ever aloud to give up on him? Or is it Rah rah for life?

Archived