• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance makes his last official CFB start Saturday vs Central Arkansas.

nctarheelreincarnated

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Wait, so there are 3 QBs worth of top 5 picks this year. 

The Giants and Bengals will surely be in the top 5 and won't be taking a QB. 

There is a clear franchise LT and WR in this draft that also will go top 5. 

Yeah, the Panthers could still land one of the 3 QBs at pick 6 if needed. 

Man, I hope you're right. Lance is a top 5 pick right now, but the less he plays, the better for him. He didn't have one single interception last year. That's hard to do regardless of what level you're playing. 

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

If Gettleman stays GM there is no way Jones is going anywhere. Gettleman will never admit to a mistake.

Like you, I’d rather have Sewell than Fields too. I still think a lot of teams (us included) might be kicking themselves for passing on Love (who I would’ve been cool with spending the 7th pick on)

Yeah, but GB did the right thing in taking him and having him sit. I saw some footage of him in Packers camp, and that kid has a ways to go. It does help for his sake that Rodgers is back to an MVP level. 

30 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I could see the Giants moving on from Jones if they move on from Gettleman. There's also the ever-present possibility of someone trading up to get ahead of us.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Not yet but why wouldnt he?  He stock cannot get any higher and he sure as hell could hurt himself with a poor spring outing.  There is just no way he duplicates what he did last season.

His stock could get higher if he transfered

35 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I see 6 teams outside of us that could go QB R1:

Jets, Lions, Vikings, Broncos, Jaguars, Redskins

Surprise/Wildcard Teams:

Falcons, Colts, Raiders, Steelers, Bears

--

At the end of the day, when you take a step back, we're simply not as bad of a team as NYG, NYJ, or the Broncos.  They are atrocious.  Best case is getting pick 3-5 methinks. 

Overall, 11 possible teams going QB with us likely falling somewhere in the middle draft wise and then factor in all of them not actually going with a QB come draft time.  SO--I can see 2-3 being taken if we win some this season. 

Could be looking at Ehlinger or Trask.  BUT if we're around #10-15, I wouldn't mind trading up to secure Fields or Lance if we really covet one of them.  People need to get over this Lawrence thing, he's not football Jesus. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I could see the Giants moving on from Jones if they move on from Gettleman. There's also the ever-present possibility of someone trading up to get ahead of us.

100% agree. If Jones doesn’t show much improvement, I could easily see them go QB, especially if they are at the top and can get Lawrence.

I mean people keep saying Jones and Herbert and Darnold (less him since this is year 3) won’t ever be replaced, but Arizona is looking smart for replacing Rosen after 1 year and this league is absolutely a copy cat league. It sure didn’t kill their cap or cause some controversy. Yes, Rosen sucked but Murray wasn’t quite rated as high as I think Lawrence and Fields will be (and maybe another) assuming they play at the same level this year. The ceiling of Lawrence compared to those three is high enough to make a GM consider drafting him and trading the other guy.  

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

100% agree. If Jones doesn’t show much improvement, I could easily see them go QB, especially if they are at the top and can get Lawrence.

I mean people keep saying Jones and Herbert and Darnold (less him since this is year 3) won’t ever be replaced, but Arizona is looking smart for replacing Rosen after 1 year and this league is absolutely a copy cat league. It sure didn’t kill their cap or cause some controversy. Yes, Rosen sucked but Murray wasn’t quite rated as high as I think Lawrence and Fields will be (and maybe another) assuming they play at the same level this year. The ceiling of Lawrence compared to those three is high enough to make a GM consider drafting him and trading the other guy.  

Yeah, I think at best Murray would be considered the #3 QB prospect in this draft class. It's not out of the question that he'd be #4.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He could be one of the top 3 QBs taken in 2022 if he plays and shows out. Equals millions of dollars. 

You’re missing one key point. He’d finish the first year of his rookie deal instead of being in college. Assuming he’s confident enough (god help him in the NFL if he doesn’t believe in himself), he’ll get his 2nd deal one year early. The difference in Tua and Herbert’s deal was $4M over 4 years so we aren’t talking huge differences for a few slots. Tub’s average is $7.5M a year, so even for the extra money, the QB franchise tag is $27M. No way Lance can make up a $20M difference. Financially, unless he sucks, it’s better for him to come out earlier and get to his 5th year one year sooner.

With the rookie cap, getting done with the rookie deal faster is way more than say moving up 5 slots at the top of the draft.

Archived