• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joel Klatt: Justin Fields is just as dangerous as Trevor Lawrence for the NFL.

nctarheelreincarnated

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

Don’t disagree but I think that game is probably the most hyped game of his career 

what games do people remember, the last one 

I’m just not as high on him as others. Burroughs yes, Trevor no. 

I am the exact opposite. Burrow didn't excite me as much as most. He has a very average skillset but extremely high intangibles. I am curious to see how he does in year one with Cincy. Trevor checks every single box imaginable.....but I do question if he has the competitive edge to him. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I am the exact opposite. Burrow didn't excite me as much as most. He has a very average skillset but extremely high intangibles. I am curious to see how he does in year one with Cincy. Trevor checks every single box imaginable.....but I do question if he has the competitive edge to him. 

Yes.  What happens when he gets hit in the mouth because here, he will get hit a lot 

I wonder too, to be very honest, how anxious any player would be to come here now. Players aren’t stupid.  We shall see 

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

Yes.  What happens when he gets hit in the mouth because here, he will get hit a lot 

I wonder too, to be very honest, how anxious any player would be to come here now. Players aren’t stupid.  We shall see 

It's pretty rare to see an Eli Manning/Andrew Luck pulled. I don't think we really have to worry about that. 

6 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Considering that our current head coach’s only real stint in the NFL was as an Oline coach and I believe that oline was with the Giants, and they were ranked number 32 during his tenure....

and throw in Hurney 

sadly, you are probably righ

He is.  But the worst part is that they haven't figured out that it hasn't worked to date.

17 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

He was one of the most accurate QBs of all time in college, that is the ultimate skillset.

That is part of the problem with QB evaluation.  Fans and even football people get caught up with measurables like height, arm strength, and speed, but tend to ignore accuracy.  Accuracy is a measurable, things like leadership and toughness are intangibles.

There is a reason Brady and Brees have won so much over their career.  Also its not as simple as overall %, of that 60% completion what percentage is on target.  Hitting a player in stride vs throwing behind a player.  2 QBs, both go 24/30 but one makes 4 more throws in stride.  Maybe that is 4 more first down.  Maybe that is an extra drive or two that stays alive.  Maybe an extra field goal or touchdown.

Fields is way further along mechanically than many of the mobile guys in recent years.

I'd be super tempted.  Almost think he would be more exciting of an addition that you can do some really fun things with.  But thinking about Brady working with Lawrence is crazy appealing.  Good either way, I like Fields. 

I just want someone who can pick up a first down with his legs when needed.

Florio and Simms brought it up the other day that the days of the statue QB standing behind a stalwart line are gone. Athletes on defense are too athletic these days to sit back and pick apart people. You have to have everything else go right around you, a la New England, to have a true pocket QB.

Trevor, Fields, and even Lance have this attribute which makes me feel a lot better about our chances in the future.

54 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

He was one of the most accurate QBs of all time in college, that is the ultimate skillset.

That is part of the problem with QB evaluation.  Fans and even football people get caught up with measurables like height, arm strength, and speed, but tend to ignore accuracy.  Accuracy is a measurable, things like leadership and toughness are intangibles.

There is a reason Brady and Brees have won so much over their career.  Also its not as simple as overall %, of that 60% completion what percentage is on target.  Hitting a player in stride vs throwing behind a player.  2 QBs, both go 24/30 but one makes 4 more throws in stride.  Maybe that is 4 more first down.  Maybe that is an extra drive or two that stays alive.  Maybe an extra field goal or touchdown.

Well in 13 games the prior year he was a 57.3% passer. So far in the NFL his accuracy has been less than stellar, however he is also being asked to pass more than any other QB in the NFL.

Accuracy is one of the things that typically translates well to the NFL, but Burrow was a 68.8%(9th all time in college football) career passer in college to Lawrence's current 66.2%. I would not say that one is extraordinarily more accurate passer than another. College fans tend to get a little fixated on the kind of year that Burrow had, without seeing the whole picture. 

Archived