• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joel Klatt: Justin Fields is just as dangerous as Trevor Lawrence for the NFL.

nctarheelreincarnated

3 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Considering how solid the top 3 QBs appear to be, and how early this team seems to be in its rebuilding effort, if we ended up with the #1 pick, would you consider trading back to a top 10 pick and next year's first round pick?

fug no. You potentially miss out on a QB. That would be lightspeed stupid. 

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

Honestly, I remember the championship game.  Trevor looked a bit like a deer in the headlights in that game

i mean, everybody can ‘pick a bad day to have a bad day’ but for that high of a pick, I want a winner under  the big lights   Burroughs delivered. Lawrence didn’t 

Hmmmm..........interesting 

5 minutes ago, Captroop said:

You think all 3 go in the top 10? I figured most of the top of the draft folks have their QB of the future already. But okay, I'll edit it to top 5.

Yes, I think all three have high potential to go top 10. As you say, it ultimately depends on the order but if the top 10 ends up heavy with teams set at QB, expect trades to be offered to get into the top 10. There are a lot of franchises that are riding aging QB's that may be gone next year. 

It's a very risky prospect to trade down and hope everything works out. If we end up with a top 5 pick, standing pat is the smart move. 

4 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Honestly, I remember the championship game.  Trevor looked a bit like a deer in the headlights in that game

i mean, everybody can ‘pick a bad day to have a bad day’ but for that high of a pick, I want a winner under  the big lights   Burroughs delivered. Lawrence didn’t 

Valid but he didn't the year before against Alabama. He's also 5-1 in conference championship and CFB playoff games in his career. I think that it would be a stretch to say he struggles when the lights are on. I mean, we probably don't need to lose sight of the fact that the kid is 31-1 in his college career so far. 

If he really struggled with pressure, I am pretty sure it would have shown itself more than one time. 

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yes, I think all three have high potential to go top 10. As you say, it ultimately depends on the order but if the top 10 ends up heavy with teams set at QB, expect trades to be offered to get into the top 10. There are a lot of franchises that are riding aging QB's that may be gone next year. 

It's a very risky prospect to trade down and hope everything works out. If we end up with a top 5 pick, standing pat is the smart move. 

Agree wholeheartedly! The trade-up is definitely the x-factor within any draft, and QB-needy teams that believe in a prospect lead the way.

Just now, top dawg said:

Agree wholeheartedly! The trade-up is definitely the x-factor within any draft, and QB-needy teams that believe in a prospect lead the way.

Luckily, Hurney doesn't have a history of first round trade ups(although has traded to get BACK in the first round before). I think if we get basically any spot in the top 10 you will probably see us stand pat. 

As bad as we currently are, I don't even think you could easily justify trading up from #10 into the top 5 for one of those QB's with all our roster needs. We can't Bill O'Brien our future draft picks away and not have major consequences on the rebuild. 

1 hour ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Jets have Darnold and Giants have Daniel Jones.  Im not 100% sure they will target a QB after taking one 2 years ago. They want to stick to their development. If Panthers have those two ahead of them, Panthers could very well trade down and still get fields or Lawrence. But Jets and Giants have bigger needs then QB.

If you’re sitting there with them on the board there is a below zero chance we trade down. You never pass on drafting your franchise QB

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Luckily, Hurney doesn't have a history of first round trade ups(although has traded to get BACK in the first round before). I think if we get basically any spot in the top 10 you will probably see us stand pat. 

As bad as we currently are, I don't even think you could easily justify trading up from #10 into the top 5 for one of those QB's with all our roster needs. We can't Bill O'Brien our future draft picks away and not have major consequences on the rebuild. 

It depends on the cost. 

Ultimately, I don't know if we'd recover if these guys turn out to be franchise QBs. You gotta pay the price for the next Brady, Brees, Rogers, Wilson or even Ben (Montana, Manning...). Do you know the psychological devastation that would likely end up in translation on the field and in the offices and hallways of BoA Stadium, much less the seats, into the rest of Charlotte, on into the Carolinas? That would be brutal!

55 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

If im the Jets or giants im giving up on Darnold and Jones soon as i get on the clock for either one of those guys lol never understood Darnold hype he haven’t really been good at any level . Every time i watch him live he look like a poor man tony  Romo literally 

I’m with you, and I think the GMs of both teams would do the same. That is why we need a top 3 pick.

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It depends on the cost. 

Ultimately, I don't know if we'd recover if these guys turn out to be franchise QBs. You gotta pay the price for the next Brady, Brees, Rogers, Wilson or even Ben (Montana, Manning...). Do you know the psychological devastation that would likely end up in translation on the field and in the offices and hallways of BoA Stadium, much less the seats, into the rest of Charlotte, on into the Carolinas? That would be brutal!

Yeah, I had thought of that but you also can't go full Ditka and trade away crazy draft capital to get a guy. 

Archived