• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joel Klatt: Justin Fields is just as dangerous as Trevor Lawrence for the NFL.

nctarheelreincarnated

If Trevor and Field are gone and we took Lance....I'd still do a happy dance.   Lawrence while more athletic than given credit for isn't my preferred style of QB just from a fun factor. 

Cam, Allen, Wilson, Watson, Lamar.  Those dudes are just fun.  Trevor will be a Peyton Manning type in the NFL.  

8 minutes ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Isee your point but they  havent even tried to put nobody around him. Bets receiver he has had is Robby and LeVeon stays injured. If I were the jets try to get a RB. Keep Darnold 1 more year and get some WRs later rounds. Or they can get Lawrence get best available RB and WR rest of rounds.

If they want to try to salvage Darnold, it needs to be with a new staff. But, a new staff might want their own QB. Hell, we hired a staff that wanted to get rid of a former MVP for a journeyman. The odds of a new coach wanting to stick with a guy looking like a bust is probably pretty slim.

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, but I think the talent disparity is more relevant w/ a dual threat QB than a pocket passer.  Throws are throws to a large degree.    Then there is the only one season thing.  Which generally bothers me.  I never thought Joe Burrow should be judged/viewed as just the Natty Joe.   Don't think that accurately portrayed Joe. 

how many small school dual threat QBs are there?  

Again, he is fun to watch.  I like him.  I just can't personally put him above Trevor/Fields.  They look the part and have done it against dudes that also will play on Sunday. 

Yeah, that is the pretty classic evaluation mistake that gets made. Carson Wentz is a dual threat QB that was one injury away from an MVP award in the NFL. 

Here are the current starting QB's in the NFL from small schools(non-P5): Ben Roethlisberger, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Allen, Carson Wentz

Two of those guys are definitely dual threat QB's and have been quite successful. You gotta get past that "small school" player mentality. If we had that now, we'd be passing on a guy like Chinn for Isaiah Simmons who has already gotten benched in Arizona. That talent disparity is a double edged sword. It's easy to say that it means more when you play against elite talent but those football factory schools are also LOADED with elite talent. It's a lot easier to succeed when you have NFL OL, NFL RB's, NFL WR's and NFL TE's. 

45 minutes ago, Mister said:

he  IS BETTER!! lawrence sucks and is overrated , fields is deshaun watson 3.0

I saw Lawrence play in person last year at Chapel Hill and as of now he does need to have all the talent around him to succeed.  He struggled mightily that game, but they were trying to run him a lot. Analyst are finally starting to talk about some of the accuracy issues that I seen last year too. They are neck and neck and Fields can do everything he does and some better.  Like another poster said, Fields is alot different than Haskins and past OSU QBs. I am definitely leaning towards him over the other two.

5 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

I saw Lawrence play in person last year at Chapel Hill and as of now he does need to have all the talent around him to succeed.  He struggled mightily that game, but they were trying to run him a lot. Analyst are finally starting to talk about some of the accuracy issues that I seen last year too. They are neck and neck and Fields can do everything he does and some better.  Like another poster said, Fields is alot different than Haskins and past OSU QBs. I am definitely leaning towards him over the other two.

He is a career 66% passer.  Same as the other two. 

4 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

No offense but you are taking an outlier game and making a judgement based on that. He's been a 66.2% passer in his college football career so far. There is plenty of data that shows that is one of the things that correlates pretty well when you get to the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'd take Fields all day every day over Trevor. Lance is interesting too.

Question: If Trevor hadn't gone to Clemson, would everyone be salivating over him? Or would he be just another Herbert?

Yes they would because he was the #1 overall recruit in that class and would have just ended up at some other elite football school doing pretty similar. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, that is the pretty classic evaluation mistake that gets made. Carson Wentz is a dual threat QB that was one injury away from an MVP award in the NFL. 

Here are the current starting QB's in the NFL from small schools(non-P5): Ben Roethlisberger, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Allen, Carson Wentz

Two of those guys are definitely dual threat QB's and have been quite successful. You gotta get past that "small school" player mentality. If we had that now, we'd be passing on a guy like Chinn for Isaiah Simmons who has already gotten benched in Arizona. That talent disparity is a double edged sword. It's easy to say that it means more when you play against elite talent but those football factory schools are also LOADED with elite talent. It's a lot easier to succeed when you have NFL OL, NFL RB's, NFL WR's and NFL TE's. 

Josh Allen definitely fits the bill.   Small school dual threat QB. 

again, I don't have a problem w/ a small school QB.  Throws are throws.  Lance does a lot of damage on the ground though.  And almost none of those dudes he is beating will sniff Sunday. 

I wouldn't be so quick to judge Isiah Simmons.  He was always going to have an adjustment period given he never actually spent time really being anything. 

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

No offense but you are taking an outlier game and making a judgement based on that. He's been a 66.2% passer in his college football career so far. There is plenty of data that shows that is one of the things that correlates pretty well when you get to the NFL. 

I definitely watch many other games, but you right as I was being lazy on the comment just referring to one game. One thing I look at and wonder if it is a scouting metric when pouring over film is to look at the number of spectacular catches being made by receivers.  When the world fell in love with Lawrence during the National Championship game, those guys were making some otherworldly catches and it continued last season.  Like everyone said about OSU QBs, I think about these QBs at all elite schools like that.  How are they going to do when they don't have the best athletes on either team on their offense week in and week out.  

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Josh Allen definitely fits the bill.   Small school dual threat QB. 

again, I don't have a problem w/ a small school QB.  Throws are throws.  Lance does a lot of damage on the ground though.  And almost none of those dudes he is beating will sniff Sunday. 

I wouldn't be so quick to judge Isiah Simmons.  He was always going to have an adjustment period given he never actually spent time really being anything. 

Wentz is a dual threat QB, as well. Obviously his mobility has been hindered due to his injury history now but he came into the league as a scrambling QB. 

I also don't think Fields will end up being the same level of dual threat in the NFL as he has been at Ohio St. I don't see Lamar Jackson/Michael Vick/Cam Newton/Josh Allen type abilities. I think he will be the more classic scrambling QB(similar to Wentz). 

I am not judging Simmons yet, just giving an example of a small school guy who by the old school of thought shouldn't be ready to play at this level versus a guy who played nothing but elite college/future NFL talent and hasn't been ready. 

1 minute ago, NorthTryon said:

I definitely watch many other games, but you right as I was being lazy on the comment just referring to one game. One thing I look at and wonder if it is a scouting metric when pouring over film is to look at the number of spectacular catches being made by receivers.  When the world fell in love with Lawrence during the National Championship game, those guys were making some otherworldly catches and it continued last season.  Like everyone said about OSU QBs, I think about these QBs at all elite schools like that.  How are they going to do when they don't have the best athletes on either team on their offense week in and week out.  

Go look at some of the tape for TL and watch how he definitely displays quite a bit of elite ball placement. That was something I noticed early in his career at Clemson. It's something you can see with guys like Russell Wilson when he was in college too. Trevor has every tool that he needs to be an elite NFL QB, my biggest question is if he has the intangibles and competitive drive to do so. 

Archived