• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joel Klatt: Justin Fields is just as dangerous as Trevor Lawrence for the NFL.

nctarheelreincarnated

If lance gets time on the bench to learn and grow in practice and is put with the right coaches he could be an absolute baller.

im fine with either 3 tho. Lance is the most intriguing to me for some reason, maybe because he’s from a smaller school, but dude has an absolute cannon for an arm and can move.  Reminds me of Favre (minus the picks) and Mahomes. He just needs patience because he’s only played one college year at a lower level school. But the dude throws it all over the damn field and knows when to take chances and when to check down. 0 picks 42 total tds

2 minutes ago, Mills said:

While admittedly not a professional scout by any stretch, I’ve been around the game since 6. 
Trey Lance checks all of the boxes on film. Playing QB in the NFL involves more than physical play, but he has all of the tools and intangibles.

Issue w/ Lance is he is a duel threat QB.  That is a massive part of his game and what makes it work.

Which IMO is the huge red flag and concern with him.   That is where the talent discrepancy he plays against really rears it's head.   Put him on a field vs Bama and OSU defensive talent?  What does he look like.   

It would be nice if there was like one game out there they played where you could get a look at him vs tougher talent. 

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have him as a close #2 to Lawrence. I really like Fields but I am almost pretty scared of any Ohio St. QB at this point. 

I just wish there was one game of Lance vs a more athletic and talented defense.   One game vs a Ohio St to really gauge how he does.  

Lot of middle of the middle of the road dual threat SEC QBs IMO could feast vs lesser talent.  So that is my hesitation of him vs guys like Trevor and Fields. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I just wish there was one game of Lance vs a more athletic and talented defense.   One game vs a Ohio St to really gauge how he does.  

Lot of middle of the middle of the road dual threat SEC QBs IMO could feast vs lesser talent.  So that is my hesitation of him vs guys like Trevor and Fields. 

Yeah, I agree. Then again, even if there was it would still be a tough evaluation because the rest of his supporting cast probably couldn't even make the team at an OSU.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah but a lot of the middle of the road dual threat SEC QB's are pretty obviously not NFL caliber players, either. That's the thing about college scouting, you really need to ignore the talent disparity and see what sticks out on the tape. Are they going through their progressions well, how do they handle pressure, are they making "NFL throws" or college football throws, are they showing elite ball placement, etc, etc. 

The success of the small school QB's has been pretty obvious the past 15 years in the NFL. All that "well they are small school guys" has really gone the way of the "QB's must be 6-1 or taller" in the NFL world. If you can play, you can play. 

39 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

4:40 mark in the video. Even if somehow the Jets and Giants are worse than the Panthers. Fields could be a nice consolation prize. 

Jets have Darnold and Giants have Daniel Jones.  Im not 100% sure they will target a QB after taking one 2 years ago. They want to stick to their development. If Panthers have those two ahead of them, Panthers could very well trade down and still get fields or Lawrence. But Jets and Giants have bigger needs then QB.

1 minute ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Jets have Darnold and Giants have Daniel Jones.  Im not 100% sure they will target a QB after taking one 2 years ago. They want to stick to their development. If Panthers have those two ahead of them, Panthers could very well trade down and still get fields or Lawrence. But Jets and Giants have bigger needs then QB.

If you're two years into a QB's career and you're still picking at the top of the draft, it might be time to reconsider that QB. Not always, but it's not a good indication.

1 minute ago, ncsfinest21 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2909216-nfl-insiders-on-baker-mayfield-sam-darnolds-struggles-as-seats-get-hotter.amp.html

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but a lot of the middle of the road dual threat SEC QB's are pretty obviously not NFL caliber players, either. That's the thing about college scouting, you really need to ignore the talent disparity and see what sticks out on the tape. Are they going through their progressions well, how do they handle pressure, are they making "NFL throws" or college football throws, are they showing elite ball placement, etc, etc. 

The success of the small school QB's has been pretty obvious the past 15 years in the NFL. All that "well they are small school guys" has really gone the way of the "QB's must be 6-1 or taller" in the NFL world. If you can play, you can play. 

yeah, but I think the talent disparity is more relevant w/ a dual threat QB than a pocket passer.  Throws are throws to a large degree.    Then there is the only one season thing.  Which generally bothers me.  I never thought Joe Burrow should be judged/viewed as just the Natty Joe.   Don't think that accurately portrayed Joe. 

how many small school dual threat QBs are there?  

Again, he is fun to watch.  I like him.  I just can't personally put him above Trevor/Fields.  They look the part and have done it against dudes that also will play on Sunday. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you're two years into a QB's career and you're still picking at the top of the draft, it might be time to reconsider that QB. Not always, but it's not a good indication.

Isee your point but they  havent even tried to put nobody around him. Bets receiver he has had is Robby and LeVeon stays injured. If I were the jets try to get a RB. Keep Darnold 1 more year and get some WRs later rounds. Or they can get Lawrence get best available RB and WR rest of rounds.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I agree. Then again, even if there was it would still be a tough evaluation because the rest of his supporting cast probably couldn't even make the team at an OSU.

I'd just like to see him in the open field vs better talent to actually see where he stacks up athletically/playmaking wise.  Yeah, his team would get killed and he would look bad because his surrounding cast would be too inferior. 

I hate the season played out like it did with certain college football teams. My alma mater was supposed to play Lance in North Dakota this year, and we’re pretty good. Was going to be cool to see him up close.

As for Fields, I like him. I like him a lot. Same goes with TL. I’d be happy with any of those 3

Archived