• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina's defensive line - A work in progress

Jeremy Igo

From Panthers.com

While the Panthers' base defense has four down linemen and plays that way in most situations, Sunday proved the club has some versatility.

For Las Vegas' first possession in the fourth quarter, Carolina shifted to using three down linemen. The Panthers used defensive end Brian Burns as a stand-up, off-the-ball linebacker. Burns then had a key tackle on a swing pass to Jacobs for no gain on a second-and-12 play.

Rhule also mentioned defensive end Marquis Haynes as a player who can play off-the-ball.

"That's something that we can always kind of go to just to change up," Rhule said. "We're kind of figuring out our personnel and who was out there on Sunday, so as we move forward, what's the best thing for those guys."

While the Panthers forced a punt the first time they came out in the 3-3-5, the Raiders scored their game-winning touchdown against the three-man front, too. If nothing else, using a different alignment in Week 1 gives teams something more to prepare for throughout the year.

Interesting mention of Haynes here in more of a linebacker role. 

My take? Rhule, Snow, and company are trying to make the most of the talent they are given. Haynes and Burns were drafted because the Panthers wanted to give more 3-4 and sub package looks with their edges being off the ball. I don't think that is Rhule's preference but he does not have the talent yet to play a base 4-3 all game and get results. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

From Panthers.com

Interesting mention of Haynes here in more of a linebacker role. 

My take? Rhule, Snow, and company are trying to make the most of the talent they are given. Haynes and Burns were drafted because the Panthers wanted to give more 3-4 and sub package looks with their edges being off the ball. I don't think that is Rhule's preference but he does not have the talent yet to play a base 4-3 all game and get results. 

He's trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

He's trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

A little bit. If it’s a focus on making Burns better, great but when you have to talk up Haynes it makes me feel like the coach speak on Mike Davis. Haynes is not going to win games. Burns could be a game changer.

Just now, stbugs said:

A little bit. If it’s a focus on making Burns better, great but when you have to talk up Haynes it makes me feel like the coach speak on Mike Davis. Haynes is not going to win games. Burns could be a game changer.

Of course it's coach speak.  I won't proclaim any of these guys to be or become anything other than what they have shown so far.   Don't count your chickens before they hatch or some shyte like that.

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Burns could be a game changer.

i'm wondering if he's not really gonna be much of a factor until he's on a team that plays with a lead most of the time.  you think he can shine on a team that's not gonna be in that situation (most likely)   

3 minutes ago, raz said:

i'm wondering if he's not really gonna be much of a factor until he's on a team that plays with a lead most of the time.  you think he can shine on a team that's not gonna be in that situation (most likely)   

I'm of the opinion that Burns will turn out to be another Everet Brown type situation.  At least Hurney didn't trade up for him.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. As it stands it feels like last year where the Dline is in transition and doesn't have the right people in the right places. I like both rookie DTs and I still am not sure KK coming back was a positive or a negative yet. The DEs look like they playing out of position except for Burns. It's only one game but it is an area to watch how it develops through out the year.  

17 minutes ago, raz said:

Absolutely think he can shine. I just think people were thinking Short would go back to being good and he looked like poo. The other DE spot is too inexperienced right now. I think Brown and Burns can be solid and hopefully YGM can be as well. People were kidding themselves that we had a wrecking crew DL this year and that we’d have a D that won’t give up 30 a game. There’s a lot of potential and guys to like but they are rookies and Burns still hasn’t found his sweet spot. Donte, Boston and Short are exactly who we thought they were.

22 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm of the opinion that Burns will turn out to be another Everet Brown type situation.  At least Hurney didn't trade up for him.

yeah, a splash play from his first game last season hasn't held me over either.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Fair point. Adaptability is probably a positive attribute. 

The Ravens have embraced this mindset and it is paying off for them. You can argue talent all you want but sometimes putting players in good position can do wonders just like having sheer talent. The 90s-2000s mindset of "you will do my way or the highway" seems to be less prevalent. I attribute that with college aspects leaking into the NFL. You have to adapt and trying to round peg, square hole it that doesn't seem sustainable.

During the off season you try to get players that fit your system.

During the season you have to make the best of what you have.

Can Burns be more than a pass rusher in a 4 - 3 ?

Not impressed at all with Gross-Matos ,looked totally lost out there, which is why you can't rely on rookies.

Archived