• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Ratings - This sounds right to me.

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I can't help but wonder if Dallas will suffer more of a drop in ratings than most other teams given their national fan base that tends to be a little more red around the neck.  

Also the other half of that "fanbase" literally doesn't exist. LA doesn't give a flying fug about pro football.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Also the other half of that "fanbase" literally doesn't exist. LA doesn't give a flying fug about pro football.

Yeah, and it was just a really boring game.  Most boring close game I have seen in a while.  The Rams offense has really gone downhill since the Superbowl, while the Cowboys certainly look like their usual preseason hype was overstated once again.  Of course, its early and that could change.  

Lot of analysis going on these days.

Nothing different for me. I always watch the panthers game and casually watch other games here and there. Sometimes halves. Sometimes quarters. Sometimes full games. Sometimes I don’t watch if I’m doing other things. I happen to be lying in bed on the iPad with the Denver game on right now. 

Overall, It doesn’t feel any different to me. I’m doing the same thing I always have when it comes to football. Guess I’m casual overall, but I never miss a panther game. I ignore all the politics of it and appreciate The game as a sport. I’m not very sensitive to the “in my face” politics they are presenting. I have my opinions and beliefs. NFL doesn’t influence me. 

I mean there's definitely like a "strike year" sort of vibe to the season.  in many ways it feels like it doesn't count.  We all know it does, but just as far as emotional engagement.  with all the players that opted out, and this looming threat the plug could be pulled, the empty stadiums, the weird atmosphere in watching the games, the ridiculous fake crowd noise.  There are a lot of factors.  Then add in how we didn't get an month long preseason of hype, how we weren't even sure games would be played until a couple weeks ago.  

I'm someone who is always hyped up for the NFL basically every year i can remember going back to the 90's, and my enthusiasm level is definitely down.  for the reasons above and the general feeling of uncertainty and unknown.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's why it was so perplexing to me that two teams were falling over each other to move to L.A. one of them being the same team that had already failed there.

the whole NFL in LA is such a farce.  there was a reason both teams had to leave in the 90's it was because the fan demand was close to zero, and that never changed ever since.  All the demand for an LA team came from the NFL and business owners in the LA area on how everyone wanted to cash in, and whether or not fans cared or would show up was completely irrelevant.  There are not enough fans to support ONE team, let alone TWO!!!  They built this fancy new stadium, that I'm not sure is ever going to be sold out until they host a Super Bowl.  LA fans have a lot of other things to do, and if anyone in LA is into football, they moved to LA and support other teams.  I mean did anyone see the local ratings for the Rams in the NFC championship and the Super Bowl they were in??  It was embarrassingly low.  They don't care and I don't knock them for not supporting something they never asked for.

There are many reasons why ratings are down among the two more prominent appear to be as follows:

1) The covid situation has changed sports seasons..shorter during with schedule changes, less or no people..........its depressing watching games that look like practice with no one in the stands. The unemployment rates and business collapses have strained many people financially and changed the way they look at spending their spare time now. 

2) Social imperatives..............sports has always been popular because of it being an escape...........or entertainment to watch and forget about the world and its problems.......people don't want to be preached to, they know and hear enough to understand what is going on in the country and don't care to have their spare time for entertainment being preached to............. 

3) Change of lifestyle and attitude towards sports in general..................the generations coming up in general don't have the entertainment/factor attention span of the generations who made sports what they are today...........my generation was a tv generation subservient to the investment of time in front of a tv to obtain their entertainment............the generations now are instant information on demand smart phone/social media users and/or a gaming generation.........they are not playing sports as much and don't have that interest. The demographic change of the country is also reflected in the sport preferences which are changing..............no to mention the head problems with football keep eating away at its interests in younger generational apathy towards the game. 

4) Sports are like dinning out............when the economy and world is running at its normal pace they are very popular among those who support them..............but force a change or shutdown of dinning out then people do more grocery shopping and eating at home..........people's consumption habits are changing and sports is also a reflection of that. 

I don't know were it all leads to but its not the same anymore for right now....

I watched the Indy 500 recently...........the tradition of the memorial day May event off the calendar..........and instead of 300k plus in the stands there was nobody.............it just wasn't that same and I have always loved that event. 

Archived