• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video Review - 4th and 1 - What went wrong?

Jeremy Igo

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here is the infamous 4th and 1 play from yesterday that lost the game for the Carolina Panthers.

giphy.gif

Things I see:

Paradis gets pushed back a step and a half at the snap. 

Chris Manhertz is unable to keep his man turned to the outside. His man makes first contact in the gap.

What do you see?

You called it.  When it happened, all I could see was the back of Manhertz's jersey getting blown back into the ball carrier. 

Here is the deal---you need 1 yard---that means, the OL needs to get a good jump and engage the defender with force beneath his pad level---that is a win.

I see Moton not crossing his man's face and ending up in the backfield (the DL KNEW this play was coming---watch them).  I see Schofield on his face at the bottom of the pile and he caused Armah not to be able to get his footing after contact---worthless. I see Okung turned inside (which means his man crossed his face into the gap) and he dives on the pile.  I see Paradis losing a step and then creating a pile--I see Manhertz doing what should get him cut from the team by getting blown into the play.  The ONLY player I see doing his job is RG Miller, who tries to reach the play side LB. 

When I used to grade film, I used to grade +, -, or 0 (neutral). 

Manhertz   --

Okung  ---

Schofield  ---

Paradis ---

Miller    0

Moton  ---

8 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

We just paid an elusive RB $16 mil/year. There is never an excuse for handing it to a fuging FB in crunch time. You pay star players to make star plays.

I think having a FB makes you want to use one. I honestly think as I said before we don't even need one. It's time to update this team. 

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

I think having a FB makes you want to use one. I honestly think as I said before we don't even need one. It's time to update this team. 

Well you should if you want them to be effective.  When they do use him it's almost guaranteed the ball is going to him.   You can't disguise that if it is commonly known.  He should be playing double duty, FB and TE, especially since the current guys aren't getting it done.  That's my thoughts on it anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well you should if you want them to be effective.  When they do use him it's almost guaranteed the ball is going to him.   You can't disguise that if it is commonly known.  He should be playing double duty, FB and TE, especially since the current guys aren't getting it done.  That's my thoughts on it anyway. 

Well I mean that's my point. You really are just wasting a spot a TEAM could use. Giving you exactly what you said. It's why I'm not a big fan. 

Just now, Snake said:

Well I mean that's my point. You really are just wasting a spot a TEAM could use. Giving you exactly what you said. It's why I'm not a big fan. 

Armah had some potential when he was drafted to play both positions but Ron decided to make him a special teams guy and never really gave him a chance.  From my untrained eye I thought he had more potential than Manhurtz and possibly Thomas if I went by yesterday's performance alone.   If a guy can play two positions good enough it gives you unlimited options schematicly.  But what do I know?  I struggle to understand what this teams is trying to do on a weekly basis so just I watch and hope it's entertaining at least.  It's more fun to laugh at them than to rage at them as the latter hasn't helped improve anything to date so why not try something else?

6 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I'm curious how many that are crapping on the call would not be questioning the call if we gave it to CMC instead and he got stopped.

Game 1 vs Tampa in 2019: CMC stopped at goalline

Game 10 vs GB in 2019: CMC stopped at goalline

There is def an argument to be made about giving the best RB in the NFL that you just payed a hefty price for the rock in these late game situations.

I personally would've preferred a CMC/Davis backfield in that situation and at least give LV a thought that it might go to Davis. I don't blame Armah or the call....it worked earlier and Armah is a good FB. The OL lost the fight on that play.

People are always going to second guess plays like this.  

At that down and distance I would guess a fullback dive will get 1ft as often as a normal handoff to the RB, regardless of who the running back is.

CMC might have been stopped 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage, which has happened before.

Also for all of the people convinced that CMC could have broke it outside, look at the alignment of the Raiders.  They didn't crowd the line like some teams do in that situation.  They clearly were expecting CMC to get the ball.  A FB dive or even a QB sneak should have had a hign chance of working.  

Its a logical play call, against a favorable alignment, just wasn't executed.  The LG got pushed back, which got in the way of Armah and Ferrell beat Manhertz.

The o-line is lacking in power, especially Paradis. Let's be honest, the Saints would have run a play there that would have caught Raiders off guard and made them look silly. We run a repeated play that relies on Paradis, Alex, you know, the guys I don't want to EVER rely on to decide the game. On the other hand if we keep that up hellooooooo Lawrence. So take the good with the bad.

"Game is on the line guys.. who do we give the ball to?"

"Alex!"

"Who?"

"Alex Armah behind Paradis and the other poop players! Can't fail!"

CMC - "Ugh guys... over here.."

"Yes to Alex and Manhetz and Paradis! No way those poop players get blown up! Let them decide the game. DJ and CMC, stay out of this!"

Archived