• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video Review - 4th and 1 - What went wrong?

Jeremy Igo

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When your center gets zero push on a FB dive it's generally game over. If the interior OL does it's job, it wouldn't matter if the TEs whiffed. 

So true, the Moton, Manhertz, Thomas and Samuel discussion isn’t about Armah getting stopped on second effort. That means the IOL, which we’ve ignored greatly the past 3 drafts outside of a clearly no healthy center, isn’t getting push. That was a huge issue last year as well. Other teams (remember Washington game and Jacobs yesterday) got push on us easily and we couldn’t do the opposite. Short is done, Paradis isn’t good and we need two competent Norwell/early Turner type guys.

4 minutes ago, d-dave said:

We just couldn't generate the push.  That was a "want it" play.  The Raiders just wanted it more.  I agree, I'd rather have seen a fake to Armah, and a pitch to CMC or anyone else.

Definitely an odd call to go with your FB who rarely carries the ball behind the interior OL which is one of our weaknesses as an overall roster. Hindsight is always 20/20 though. Anytime you run a play that fails you're gonna wish you had run something else. I just think you'd rather fail while attempting to play to your strengths as opposed to your weaknesses, that's all.

Just now, shaqattaq said:

It looks like Armah had to run over Schofield to even get back to the line.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that Rhule's comments put quite a bit of blame on Armah for failing to reach the line to gain. I mean, when you get hit behind the line by half the opposing roster that's a tough ask.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that Rhule's comments put quite a bit of blame on Armah for failing to reach the line to gain. I mean, when you get hit behind the line by half the opposing roster that's a tough ask.

It's hard to keep churning your feet when you're standing on your RG.

2 hours ago, SOJA said:

Honestly given that we had already run that play, if we had faked the hand off to Armah then either pitched to CMC or run play action I think it's not only first down but maybe a TD

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm not going to say this game was won or lost based on this single play

Bingo. They ran the same play twice in the same game in similar moments. Big no no. Clearly the Raiders defense was ready for it this time. Play-action fake throw to the TE or a fake FB handoff pitch was probably the right call. Like you said hindsight is 20/20 but, I think we're all disappointed in that play being used twice in critical moments.

Archived