• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video Review - 4th and 1 - What went wrong?

Jeremy Igo

Here is the infamous 4th and 1 play from yesterday that lost the game for the Carolina Panthers.

giphy.gif

Things I see:

Paradis gets pushed back a step and a half at the snap. 

Chris Manhertz is unable to keep his man turned to the outside. His man makes first contact in the gap.

What do you see?

Honestly given that we had already run that play, if we had faked the hand off to Armah then either pitched to CMC or run play action I think it's not only first down but maybe a TD

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm not going to say this game was won or lost based on this single play

12 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Honestly given that we had already run that play, if we had faked the hand off to Armah then either pitched to CMC or run play action I think it's not only first down but maybe a TD

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm not going to say this game was won or lost based on this single play

I thought the same thing. This line is not good enough to run the same play and expect it to work.

The icing helped their D a huge amount and they were expecting something straight up the gut and both TE + Moton completely blew their blocking assignment. 

If we had given it to CMC he basically would have had to beat 98(?) in the backfield either way it. You will note he drew everyone on the second line for a brief instance too. 

Summary; Their line > Our Line. Not giving it to CMC = dumb poo.

10 let his man crash down to the inside.  Needed to kick him out.  Not a really strong commitment on his part to keeping his man out of it.

80 completely whiffed his block and frankly this is the nail in the coffin.  If 80 had just got in the way, there was a chance to fall forward and get it, but this is the guy who ends up standing our back up and stopping him short.

And yea, the pitch to CMC would have been 22 in a one on one with a DB at the edge.

This is Monday morning, but I would've liked to have seen them stack receivers to the left side, with them clearing the area out and CMC coming underneath and receiving the quick throw for a first down (or maybe a two-TE set with the TE effectively doing the same thing once the stack cleared out the area).

The Raiders had sold out on stacking (and smashing) the box. Our guys had little chance, even to the point of being on the ground and essentially being speed bumps themselves for Armah. 

Our TE’s really suck with blocking assignments. Considering that’s their main job at this point, not sure what their use is. 

Manhertz was getting beat to the inside by his guy. Course, it didn’t help that Samuel pushed his man to help speed up the process.

Thomas pretends to block 42 who ends up preventing the final stretch for the first.

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Poor play call(Rivera/Fox-esque), poor personnel selection and poor execution.

I was disappointed at the time and I am still disappointed we chose to make those choices. 

To be fair 80% of the league converts that. Just not our personal. 

Archived