• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tre Boston comments on Donte Jacksons' development.

Jeremy Igo

I mean...isn't this what we were hoping for with a new coaching staff?  Coaches who can actually develop our players?  This is basically what Rhule is known for...player development.  Many of his starting freshmen/sophomore during their 1-win season ended up becoming the same starters that were part of their 11-win season two years later.  This is supposed to be his bread-and-butter, but obviously we'll have to wait and see if that translates to the pros.

Coaching is the one TBD variable that people don't really seem to be factoring in, other than to say our coaches are inexperienced and will probably have a rough transition to the pros.  But everything else is always evaluating our players in a vacuum based on how they performed in college or how they performed in the previous regime with an entirely different coaching staff.  Let's see what these coaches can do.

49 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Norman was in the dog house because Rivera lacked coaching skills and ability. Much like Fox, he did not teach players and he did not teach fundamentals. He favored experience over talent. Something SB winning coaches don’t do. It’s why he favors vets. It’s a lazy way to coach, but effective with the right pieces - but there is no risk. Players matter more than scheme/coaching.

The only reason Norman saw the field again was injury..and the fact the secondary basically collapsed during his leave but was significantly better before and after his leave. The injury didn’t all of a sudden make things click for Norman and neither did sitting on the bench. Teaching/coaching him would have, before it was forced. I can’t help but think had Norman had an adaptable coach he would’ve learned much quicker. Regardless he should never have been taken off the field if you consider the evidence.

And when he came back, because Rivera didn’t have a choice, the scheming favored him to his strengths much more than before. Rivera was forced to actually adapt to using the defense to Norman’s strengths and he had success. Norman still played with boneheaded instincts, except now they were accounted for.

I think Rhule will do a much better job in this category. I’m not too worried. But Jackson will still have to do his part.

Interesting--I had forgotten. Another RR dog house victim.  Without an elite CB--he will be out of the league in 3 years. 

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Norman was in the dog house because Rivera lacked coaching skills and ability. Much like Fox, he did not teach players and he did not teach fundamentals. He favored experience over talent. Something SB winning coaches don’t do. It’s why he favors vets. It’s a lazy way to coach, but effective with the right pieces - but there is no risk. Players matter more than scheme/coaching.

The only reason Norman saw the field again was injury..and the fact the secondary basically collapsed during his leave but was significantly better before and after his leave. The injury didn’t all of a sudden make things click for Norman and neither did sitting on the bench. Teaching/coaching him would have, before it was forced. I can’t help but think had Norman had an adaptable coach he would’ve learned much quicker. Regardless he should never have been taken off the field if you consider the evidence.

And when he came back, because Rivera didn’t have a choice, the scheming favored him to his strengths much more than before. Rivera was forced to actually adapt to using the defense to Norman’s strengths and he had success. Norman still played with boneheaded instincts, except now they were accounted for.

I think Rhule will do a much better job in this category. I’m not too worried. But Jackson will still have to do his part.

Before Normans leave? He got torched all year in 2012. The best pass defense weve had in that entire stretch was in 13 when Norman barely played. He looked good surrounded by vets in Harper, Coleman, and Tillman in 15 when the offense was a putting up big numbers and his gambling was acceptable.  Norman hasnt had a good season other rhan 2015.

2 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Before Normans leave? He got torched all year in 2012. The best pass defense weve had in that entire stretch was in 13 when Norman barely played. He looked good surrounded by vets in 15 when the offense was a putting up big numbers and his gambling was acceptable.  Norman hasnt had a good season other rhan 2015.

2015 Norman was playing lights out, by the 5th game no one would throw his way

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

I'll believe it when I see it. 

Tre has a little bit of credibility seeing as how he has developed, but I'm still not putting a whole lotta stock in his talking up a teammate before the action has really started (pun not intended).

I don't know how credible Boston is.

I remember Brenston Buckner used to talk guys up all the time. As often as not, the guys he'd praise didn't live up to it.

Archived