• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tre Boston comments on Donte Jacksons' development.

Jeremy Igo

Yeah it's better than to hear the opposite (or maybe not since sometimes a teammate lighting a fire under a player's ass can help him develop) but I won't read too much into this. Need to see the results on the field, which we haven't seen since spurts in his rookie year. Reminds me a lot of Josh who flashed a bit his rookie year then got in the doghouse in year 2 and struggled and then midway through year 3 he broke out. Hoping we can get a similar path from Donte but not going to hold my breath.

Hopefully he takes up Tre's coverage skills and not his angles.

Tre's a good voice to have on this team, I know everyone hates his tackling angles but he's good at what a safety is supposed to be good at (Coverage) unlike a former safety here (Reid)

Our receving unit is no slouch, but NONE of them are the size of the receivers our division has. 

I don't trust Donte to go toe to toe with any of the 6 starting WRs from a pure physical standpoint. 

Dude can look much better in practice against 5'11 Samuel and barely 6'0 Moore, but I doubt he'll look the same against the freight trains that are Evans, Jones, and Thomas. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Our receving unit is no slouch, but NONE of them are the size of the receivers our division has. 

I don't trust Donte to go toe to toe with any of the 6 starting WRs from a pure physical standpoint. 

Dude can look much better in practice against 5'11 Samuel and barely 6'0 Moore, but I doubt he'll look the same against the freight trains that are Evans, Jones, and Thomas. 

Wasnt a fan of the pick and still not hot on him, but he does have some dawg in him. 

Norman was in the dog house because Rivera lacked coaching skills and ability. Much like Fox, he did not teach players and he did not teach fundamentals. He favored experience over talent. Something SB winning coaches don’t do. It’s why he favors vets. It’s a lazy way to coach, but effective with the right pieces - but there is no risk. Players matter more than scheme/coaching.

The only reason Norman saw the field again was injury..and the fact the secondary basically collapsed during his leave but was significantly better before and after his leave. The injury didn’t all of a sudden make things click for Norman and neither did sitting on the bench. Teaching/coaching him would have, before it was forced. I can’t help but think had Norman had an adaptable coach he would’ve learned much quicker. Regardless he should never have been taken off the field if you consider the evidence.

And when he came back, because Rivera didn’t have a choice, the scheming favored him to his strengths much more than before. Rivera was forced to actually adapt to using the defense to Norman’s strengths and he had success. Norman still played with boneheaded instincts, except now they were accounted for.

I think Rhule will do a much better job in this category. I’m not too worried. But Jackson will still have to do his part.

I'm glad Tre is coming out and saying this, someone needs to be in Jackson's corner.

I hope we see that transition. He has to move from relying on physical prowess and be more of a student of the game and the opposition.

Why we haven't flat out begged Chris Gamble to coach our DBs, I have no idea.

9 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Norman was in the dog house because Rivera lacked coaching skills and ability. Much like Fox, he did not teach players and he did not teach fundamentals. He favored experience over talent. Something SB winning coaches don’t do. It’s why he favors vets. It’s a lazy way to coach, but effective with the right pieces - but there is no risk. Players matter more than scheme/coaching.

The only reason Norman saw the field again was injury..and the fact the secondary basically collapsed during his leave but was significantly better before and after his leave. The injury didn’t all of a sudden make things click for Norman and neither did sitting on the bench. Teaching/coaching him would have, before it was forced. I can’t help but think had Norman had an adaptable coach he would’ve learned much quicker. Regardless he should never have been taken off the field if you consider the evidence.

And when he came back, because Rivera didn’t have a choice, the scheming favored him to his strengths much more than before. Rivera was forced to actually adapt to using the defense to Norman’s strengths and he had success. Norman still played with boneheaded instincts, except now they were accounted for.

I think Rhule will do a much better job in this category. I’m not too worried. But Jackson will still have to do his part.

I think it was a give and take thing. Norman was always a subpar athlete for an NFL CB. He had tremendous instincts, ball skills, and confidence. That made him want to constantly freelance. Rivera HATED that. He wanted him to just play his role in the defense as scripted. Norman HATED that. They finally got on the same page in 2015 and it was magic.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it was a give and take thing. Norman was always a subpar athlete for an NFL CB. He had tremendous instincts, ball skills, and confidence. That made him want to constantly freelance. Rivera HATED that. He wanted him to just play his role in the defense as scripted. Norman HATED that. They finally got on the same page in 2015 and it was magic.

This.

Norman was in the dog house for good reason. Rivera's defenses required each guy to do his job, and Norman would freelance and do his own thing too often. Once it finally clicked, we got the end of 2014 and 2015. It was a thing of beauty. 

Then he left and was average to below average again. 

Archived