• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are not done at the cornerback position

Jeremy Igo

13 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Stop gap for what? Those are for win now teams. We aren’t a win now team. No need for a stop gap

We don't know a lot. What if the picks are not ready to go this year with all the extra 2020 issues? What if Jackson looks like trash? I don't know because I haven't seen anything. The coaches have seen practice, which is abnormally little compared to a regular offseason.

We did it at QB, why not CB? I want the rookies to play but that means squat. And please remember Hurney is in charge so moves like that shouldn't be shocking. I would be thrilled if he couldn't pull it off and we went with rookies and Jackson.

27 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

We only need one and they have shown potential already  or we wouldn't trade for them. Whereas draft picks haven't played a down yet.

Well, name some players that fit that criteria. I am not thinking of many that are on my radar. Maybe I am overlooking some options. 

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

May I introduce you to Shaq Thompson?

Overinvesting at LB and underinvesting at CB is quite the recurring theme for the Panthers.

valid point

Hurney seems to have a soft spot for both LBs and RBs.

With some GMs though I think they are more apt to overpay in the 6-10m range then the 15m range.  If things go wrong there is less chance for it to look bad on them.  In my opinion an overpay is an overpay.

You can choose to overvalue less valuable things in your life if you like.  If so, Marty Hurney is your guy.

Bradberry should have been signed, not Shaq.

There isn't a single starting caliber NFL corner in the Panthers building, with us in the NFC South, and going all defense in the last draft.

Think about that for a second.  A position that many times has 3, if not 4 of them on the field at the same time....no viable starters on the team.

My God is Marty Hurney bad at this stuff.

51 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

valid point

Hurney seems to have a soft spot for both LBs and RBs.

With some GMs though I think they are more apt to overpay in the 6-10m range then the 15m range.  If things go wrong there is less chance for it to look bad on them.  In my opinion an overpay is an overpay.

Agreed. With that said, I honestly don't think that Bradberry was overpaid. He's damn good. He just flies under the radar because he doesn't get a lot of INTs.

We don't have the CBs and LBs to have a decent season. Our defense is going to be shredded by any good teams we play. 

Without Bradberry we have no one to line up opposite the #1WR. Jackson can't cover deep routes and long developing routes due to his shortness, and we have no other decent CBs on the roster. All other CBs we have are not good enough. Jackson belongs on the slot, and we need a good #1 and #2 CB which we don't have on the roster. Bradberry was our #1, and Jackson was a slot CB playing out of position. Now we are in deep trouble and we're out of options. Imagine if Jackson, who is going to be attacked all season, comes up gimpy or seriously injured. We're toast. Jackson needs to leap a lot to make up for his height, and the odds that he lands badly and hurts himself are sky high.

Troy Pride will probably play the slot.

This is a rebuilding team, and we have so many holes that a winning season is not an option. The roster is spooky bad. Like turn your eyes away before they opened the Arch in 'Raiders of the Lost Arch' bad.

The good news is that we will have high draft picks at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, thennek said:

Losing Bradberry will end up being worse than losing Josh Norman. 

I think this is certainly possible. The one thing to remember is that not very many NFL corners stay elite for a long period of time. That being said, I think Bradberry will be a solid NFL corner for the remainder of his current contract and perhaps beyond. 

Average/above average LB's are a LOT easier to come by than good to very good CB's in the NFL. No way I would have paid Shaq over Bradberry. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

We don't know a lot. What if the picks are not ready to go this year with all the extra 2020 issues? What if Jackson looks like trash? I don't know because I haven't seen anything. The coaches have seen practice, which is abnormally little compared to a regular offseason.

We did it at QB, why not CB? I want the rookies to play but that means squat. And please remember Hurney is in charge so moves like that shouldn't be shocking. I would be thrilled if he couldn't pull it off and we went with rookies and Jackson.

I don’t follow. You can’t be good at every position. You’re asking me what if Jackson and pride look bad? Too bad so sad. The worst thing we could do would be to trade away draft picks to sign someone to help us maybe win 5 games this year. We have to build through the draft 

6 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

I don’t follow. You can’t be good at every position. You’re asking me what if Jackson and pride look bad? Too bad so sad. The worst thing we could do would be to trade away draft picks to sign someone to help us maybe win 5 games this year. We have to build through the draft 

My point wasn't about being good at every position, just wondering if we are that bad at CB. The other point is that I would rather play the rookies and sign more fringe guys to try if that fails but none of that matters because Hurney is running point on this transaction and he is looking for another CB. I am not for the move, I would rather wait and see how the youth does over a couple of games. Given Hurney's past, I'm just preparing for whatever he is capable of inflicting on us fans. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

My point wasn't about being good at every position, just wondering if we are that bad at CB. The other point is that I would rather play the rookies and sign more fringe guys to try if that fails but none of that matters because Hurney is running point on this transaction and he is looking for another CB. I am not for the move, I would rather wait and see how the youth does over a couple of games. Given Hurney's past, I'm just preparing for whatever he is capable of inflicting on us fans. 

Gotcha, sorry. My panties are Kindve in a wad going into the season. 

Archived