• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are not done at the cornerback position

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Because that player is going to be closer to his second contract and nothing I've seen from the Panthers convinces me we'd be willing to spend to keep a good CB. A legit starter on his rookie contract is also going to demand premium trade compensation and/or have some serious off-field or injury concerns.

That would be important to decide if you are trading for someone. If it is a one year rental then you don't trade for an impact player and you find a jag. If you are trading for a player you value and think can start for you, you have to commit to that player more long term.  There are teams loaded at corner who aren't going to keep everyone and would rather get compensation than let him go. He wouldn't be starting on their team but he might start on ours.

3 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

I also dont necessarily disagree with that plan.

A CB is much easier to neutralize on the defense that your LB group.  Maybe not to the extreme levels the Panthers do at times.

I remember when we still had Josh Norman.  He locked down Odell.  So they just..moved Odell.  Or created situations Norman couldn't match up against him.  Odell ended up with a pretty decent game.  

That really speaks more to the fact that we didn't adjust well on defense.

Just now, panthers55 said:

That would be important to decide if you are trading for someone. If it is a one year rental then you don't trade for an impact player and you find a jag. If you are trading for a player you value and think can start for you, you have to commit to that player more long term.  There are teams loaded at corner who aren't going to keep everyone and would rather get compensation than let him go. He wouldn't be starting on their team but he might start on ours.

A one year rental isn't worth trading really any pick for.

5 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

I also dont necessarily disagree with that plan.

A CB is much easier to neutralize on the defense that your LB group.  Maybe not to the extreme levels the Panthers do at times.

I remember when we still had Josh Norman.  He locked down Odell.  So they just..moved Odell.  Or created situations Norman couldn't match up against him.  Odell ended up with a pretty decent game.  

Don't look at us doing stupid stuff to discount the value of the CB position.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

A one year rental isn't worth trading really any pick for.

Probably less so on our team than a contender but honestly what is a 6th or 7 round pick worth really and is that a big deal if we use one to trade for a guy with potential who ends up only being a one year rental.  You probably wouldn't go in with the idea he is only a 1 year rental but that is what it might be.

Just now, panthers55 said:

Probably less so on our team than a contender but honestly what is a 6th or 7 round pick worth really and is that a big deal if we use one to trade for a guy with potential who ends up only being a one year rental.  You probably wouldn't go in with the idea he is only a 1 year rental but that is what it might be.

That's what I mean and that is why I said it wouldn't make sense. We aren't a team that is one player away. 

Our draft picks are valuable for building cheap depth and stocking in talent.

Well, in theory. I suppose it is hard to really believe in that with Hurney in the front office. Actually, maybe our draft picks really aren't worth much....

52 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Bradberry is above average. 

Based on what?  A lot of reputation was built on a handful of games early in his career.

and even if he is above average, $15m a year above?

Also I’m not convinced he is the type of corner that they are looking for in our current system.  People need to remember CBs can be very scheme dependent.  Josh Norman says hi.

Corner is such a weird position. I just went through the top 25 CBs for 2020 from PFN and only 6-7 of them are with the team that drafted them and all of them are older guys in the league around the 4 or 5 year mark.

I honestly have no qualms with looking to FA next year to address another corner of Jackson doesn’t pan out. Who knows we might be in the 6-10 range with the draft and if Pewell or Parsons isn’t there it Will probably be a corner.

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's what I mean and that is why I said it wouldn't make sense. We aren't a team that is one player away. 

Our draft picks are valuable for building cheap depth and stocking in talent.

Well, in theory. I suppose it is hard to really believe in that with Hurney in the front office. Actually, maybe our draft picks really aren't worth much....

My point was that given how many draft picks don't work out, I would prefer trading for a guy who has shown.potential but isn't get playing time due to having great starters ahead of already then to save the pick to draft a guy who may or may not work out. Draft picks are more of a crap shoot than trading for guys who have already shown potential.

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

We need another stopgap. Good enough will do. I just hope it's not for anything outside of a player or a 6th/7th.

I still would rather just play rookies and see who sticks. Is this Hurney's 'one player away from winning' incompetent roster building or just the coaches wanting someone else?

Stop gap for what? Those are for win now teams. We aren’t a win now team. No need for a stop gap

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

My point was that given how many draft picks don't work out, I would prefer trading for a guy who has shown.potential but isn't get playing time due to having great starters ahead of already then to save the pick to draft a guy who may or may not work out. Draft picks are more of a crap shoot than trading for guys who have already shown potential.

That is a pretty small pool of players and likely to be just as big of a crap shoot.

I would prefer we ride with what we have at CB, let the young guys learn. I would think leaning on Rasul and Apple as the starters with Jackson and Pride being rotated in and out would make the most sense. I see very little usage for a nickel back and fully believe the 3 man rotation of Boston-Burris-Chinn will move around quite a bit. Burris has experience at CB too so him sliding down to cover the slot and Chinn staying high with Boston has benefits too. 

Marty better not squander assets for another CB. Next year's draft has some very solid CB talent in the top-10 if we are out of the QB sweepstakes. 

Archived