• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are not done at the cornerback position

Jeremy Igo

11 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

You are probably right about Lawrence, but its obvious this team has no desire to pick him.  

I assume you’re asserting this because the team hasn’t demonstrated a commitment to actively tanking. Let’s not shift the line though; just because we’ve made moves attempting to be competitive does not mean we have ”no desire” to pick him.

8 minutes ago, Jacabee said:

I assume you’re asserting this because the team hasn’t demonstrated a commitment to actively tanking. Let’s not shift the line though; just because we’ve made moves attempting to be competitive does not mean we have ”no desire” to pick him.

You don't pick up Teddy Bridgewater if you are planning on picking a QB #1 the following year.

2 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

You don't pick up Teddy Bridgewater if you are planning on picking a QB #1 the following year.

So I agree the team did not commit to tanking. I disagreed with you criticizing their actions on the basis of “desire”. They can both want to compete and also “desire” drafting Lawrence, just the former makes the latter less likely. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

100% agree and Mahomes tends to happen when the top QB (Trubisky) is not as highly ranked as other classes. When the top QB has a lot of holes and the other QBs have question marks, there’s a lot less certainty on who breaks out.

It’s like when people say there is no guarantee. While technically correct there’s a big difference having the #1 pick when Peyton, Aikman, Luck, Cam and even Lawrence are the top QBs versus Couch, Russell, Winston and Mayfield. Having the first pick this year is no guarantee but the chance of it hitting is much higher than normal.

People tend to think about player evaluation relative to their draft class.  Scouts evaluate players to a standard that is independent of that.

While Trubisky and Luck were both the first QBs off the board during their draft years, I'm pretty sure they were viewed differently by scouts.

Trevor, by most accounts, would go first every year since 2012.  Fields is a guy that would go top-5 almost any year and Trey was getting alot of buzz about being worthy of a top10 or higher pick.

Think about how often teams either reach or have to trade up for a QB in the first round.  This is a year if you have a top 5 pick you have a really good chance of getting a quality prospect without reaching.

There are no guarantees with any prospect but I'll take chances with the higher picks.

Honestly if we decide TB isn't the answer, I'll happy with any of the top 3 prospects espcially if we don't have to trade up for one.

12 hours ago, jfra78 said:

You are probably right about Lawrence, but its obvious this team has no desire to pick him.  

Maybe right. I agree we aren’t trying to tank although I can’t stand that word in here. Somehow it turns into telling players to not try and that’s not it. If we let Will Grier be our number 1, that’s tanking.

I will say we are one CMC injury (or a 2016 type mass OL injuries) away from it not mattering. Our depth is awful no matter how much we talk up Mike Davis and others.

I also hate to say it but we may very well look back at this year as a big what if. If Lawrence and Fields end up the way most scouts view them and we tough our way to pick 7, then it could be a real hard decade. I know the eternal optimists will say that ruins culture even though our worst two years lead directly to our two best years. Also, the funny thing is that I was being an optimist. I saw a chance for us to rebuild fast like 2001 and 2010, with a ton of picks and extra cap to rollover and be in a position to dominate the division for the decade. Not sure how that would be a bad thing. Here’s to hoping we still get our franchise QB and the young guys either show something or tell us exactly where we need more picks.

Archived