• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are not done at the cornerback position

Jeremy Igo

We all know that cornerback is by far the weakest position on the field, but the Panthers are still not done with it accorinding to Marty Hurney

From Panthers.com

With the relative youth and inexperience at corner, Hurney admitted the Panthers would likely continue to look at options at the position. He did compliment rookie Troy Pride Jr. for getting better every week and Corn Elder for his ability to play in the slot.

"Our defensive back coaches have done a great job with the guys we have, improving them," Hurney said.

If Hurney is admitting that they are looking, that likely means they are aggressively looking and a trade is a possibility. If they were "just looking" he would have said he feels good with the group. 

36 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Everyone keeps talking about the #2 corner, but I don't exactly feel confident in Donte Jackson as anything more than a slot guy.

Donte has been legit bad at times the past year and a half. Even his rookie year wasn’t really good. The early INTs got him lauded but the 2nd half of the year was awful getting burned every week for long gains. That carries over into last year. IIRC, he was even benched/not started a few games.

We need another stopgap. Good enough will do. I just hope it's not for anything outside of a player or a 6th/7th.

I still would rather just play rookies and see who sticks. Is this Hurney's 'one player away from winning' incompetent roster building or just the coaches wanting someone else?

8 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

What a roller coaster.

We rather just play rookie and see if anyone can get better.

But Donte wasn't great as a rookie because well.  He was a rookie. 

We need a prime CB1.

But we can't use any draft capital.

We don’t need a CB1 this year. We need to see if Donte can handle top WRs and get better. We need to see if the rookie can become a good starter. This is a rebuilding year whether some people want to hope for the playoffs. It should be about letting YGM learn and Burns become a stud and see if Roy and Brown could be a Short/Star tandem. I’ll even say that I’d almost rather let Little sink or swim. I think he’ll sink but what the heck, maybe he can improve or you know that he’s not worth more than a backup.

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We don’t need a CB1 this year. We need to see if Donte can handle top WRs and get better. We need to see if the rookie can become a good starter. This is a rebuilding year whether some people want to hope for the playoffs. It should be about letting YGM learn and Burns become a stud and see if Roy and Brown could be a Short/Star tandem. I’ll even say that I’d almost rather let Little sink or swim. I think he’ll sink but what the heck, maybe he can improve or you know that he’s not worth more than a backup

Oh I agree.

I just think that sometimes certain expectations on who we should pick up are rather interesting.

Archived