• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Huge drop in waiver wire claims

Jeremy Igo

This has been the result of no preseason games. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that, over the past 10 years, the average number of post-cutdown waiver claims league-wide was 41. The lack of preseason games and limited offseason workouts are the primary reasons for why Sunday's 17 claims are a far cry from that figure. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/sunday-s-waiver-claims-and-notable-roster-news

Going from an average of 41 waiver claims a season to 17 is a drastic drop. Hardly any teams were interested in taking a chance on someone else's player without any tape to watch. The Panthers, however, made 3 claims. Thanks to our new Philadelphia front office guy who knew the players well enough. 

22 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I expect we’ll see the big flurry of action come about week 3-4

Week 2 and then Week 3 imo.

As I understand it, Week 3 is the first time the order will reset based on 2020 record.  So if you are high on the list now, but win your first game or two you will be dropping on the order list.  If you are low on the list but lose your initial games, you will be a bit higher.

Jax has Colts, Titans, Fins as first 3 games while being like 9th atm.  I can see them jumping on the waiver wire after week 3 when I expect they will both jump higher in the priority combined with more tape.

Bengals (Chargers/Browns), Lions (Bears/Packers), Cards (Washington/Lions).  I could see these teams more willing to push early for someone with less tape in the Week 2 range because of the chance of an early win or two losing their 1, 3, 5 spots respectively after Week 3.

Archived