• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We are not tanking. Might as well get over that notion.

Jeremy Igo

29 minutes ago, CatTower said:

We aren't "tanking" but we also aren't putting together a complete team.  We've got more holes than a block of cheese and our depth is non existent.  Dead cap is one of the highest in the league.  So many new faces with no preseason games to build experience.  Schedule is easy at the start and then we go against the top teams of the NFL.  If we start the season 0-4, there's about a 70% chance we finish with less than 3 wins.  

More holes to fill than Lisa Ann? Haha. 

37 minutes ago, CatTower said:

We aren't "tanking" but we also aren't putting together a complete team.  We've got more holes than a block of cheese and our depth is non existent.  Dead cap is one of the highest in the league.  So many new faces with no preseason games to build experience.  Schedule is easy at the start and then we go against the top teams of the NFL.  If we start the season 0-4, there's about a 70% chance we finish with less than 3 wins.  

We tried to put together a complete team last year.  That is why we signed Boston, as many perceived that our greatest weakness was safety.  Didn't work out that well, and that is why we essentially rebooted this year.  We may not be better than last year, but its highly unlikely we will be worse.  IMO, we will start out the year being as bad as we were at the end of last year.  But we may improve as the year goes along, and could end the season with the defense being better than last year if you take the whole season into account.  

I look forward to pulling for the team to win every week. Being upset when they lose, and them pulling for them the next week. I don't expect them to win every week, or even have close to a winning record, but I will root for them to win every week regardless. 

And then I will come on here and see everyone screaming that the sky is falling, and everyone sucks. Resolve to never come back to this site because of the negativity.

And then do it all again the next week.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how difficult it will be to incorporate all the new pieces we have WITH a pandemic. We have a new coaching staff, new QB, new 2nd WR, new Defense after losing our top 2 defensive players... Then put that all together WHILE having a weaker training camp only accentuates our flaws. I think the good teams this year will be teams with an established base.

I think Rhule put together a roster in hopes of being competitive and builds a foundation for growth.  Don’t see any evidence of trying to tank.  Signings of Bridgewater and Anderson should put that notion to rest.  I can’t imagine what a locker room would be like if there was a hint at purposely trying to field a bad team.

It’s like your boss coming to you and saying he wants to make sure you perform badly so he can replace you with someone that might be better.  Not sure how you build sustained success starting out on that footing.  

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Most of you are on board with the Panthers not tanking. But I still see some stragglers that believe still that the Panthers will intentionally only win one game this season.

That is simply not true.

Yes, the Panthers will struggle this year and are not a playoff team. However, they could win as many as 6 or 7 games if Matt Rhule is worth the giant contract he was signed to. 

Improving and building a winning culture is far more important than hoping and praying you select a college kid that may or may not work out in the NFL.

The former is the ideology of the Patriots. The latter is the ideology of the Jaguars.

Which team would you rather copy?

Lol. Patriots are the Patriots because the picked the best draft pick ever based on value gotten from a 6th round pick. It made it a poo ton easier to build a dynasty with a great QB on a cheap contract for 20 years.

Also, again, the bolded isn’t true just because you bring up the Jags. Our two SB appearances are 99% owed to our two worst seasons ever. We wouldn’t have had Peppers, Gross, Cam and Luke if we weren’t shitty teams.

In 2016-2019 we had our core leaders of Luke, Cam, Olsen, Kalil, Davis, Short, Peppers, etc. for all or most of those years. Did that culture keep us on top?

How about copying the Colts or Saints or Cowboys or Steelers or any other teams that won SBs after getting their franchise QB? Most got them in the 1st round. Who have the Jaguars had that’s remotely close to a franchise QB? Where would Bortles rank in the 2021 draft class? I’ll tell you what, I’ll bet you $1000 that Lawrence/Fields/Lance wins a SB before we do with Teddy and I have no clue what teams they’ll be on.

I know what our team is doing, there’s no changing that. It’s easy to say we aren’t tanking because everyone knows we aren’t. You don’t sign Bridgewater, Anderson and keep Short if you are. You don’t throw away comp picks and you don’t trade Turner for Okung. The tanking ship has sailed. We may still end up with the top pick but it certainly won’t be because we were aiming for it. It will be because of some key injuries or Teddy/coaching not being ready for prime time.

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Lol. Patriots are the Patriots because the picked the best draft pick ever based on value gotten from a 6th round pick. It made it a poo ton easier to build a dynasty with a great QB on a cheap contract for 20 years.

Also, again, the bolded isn’t true just because you bring up the Jags. Our two SB appearances are 99% owed to our two worst seasons ever. We wouldn’t have had Peppers, Gross, Cam and Luke if we weren’t shitty teams.

In 2016-2019 we had our core leaders of Luke, Cam, Olsen, Kalil, Davis, Short, Peppers, etc. for all or most of those years. Did that culture keep us on top?

How about copying the Colts or Saints or Cowboys or Steelers or any other teams that won SBs after getting their franchise QB? Most got them in the 1st round. Who have the Jaguars had that’s remotely close to a franchise QB? Where would Bortles rank in the 2021 draft class? I’ll tell you what, I’ll bet you $1000 that Lawrence/Fields/Lance wins a SB before we do with Teddy and I have no clue what teams they’ll be on.

I know what our team is doing, there’s no changing that. It’s easy to say we aren’t tanking because everyone knows we aren’t. You don’t sign Bridgewater, Anderson and keep Short if you are. You don’t throw away comp picks and you don’t trade Turner for Okung. The tanking ship has sailed. We may still end up with the top pick but it certainly won’t be because we were aiming for it. It will be because of some key injuries or Teddy/coaching not being ready for prime time.

THIS. I swear people on this forum are okay with continuous mediocrity or lack any sense of patience and forward thinking ability. 

44 minutes ago, qazsazsaz said:

THIS. I swear people on this forum are okay with continuous mediocrity or lack any sense of patience and forward thinking ability. 

Preach brother. It’s funny because do people think the folks, like me, who would have loved for Grier to be our Clausen/Weinke platform to great drafts actually think we might still be tanking? It’s obvious we aren’t, just stating what we wanted.

That said, it’s annoying that 2010 and 2001 are ignored as if we didn’t go 2-14 and 1-15 and end up with our pillars of Cam, Luke, Peppers and Gross. Would we have made the SBs if we didn’t have those 4? If not, then it was worth those poo seasons.

Anyway, for everyone else we aren’t tanking, duh. Doesn’t mean we will be good, just that we aren’t going all out to get the best draft picks we can.

All I've gotta say about the notion of the Panthers "tanking" is, there were 3 starters from the 2011 offense on the 2015 Superbowl team (Newton, Olsen, Kalil). There was 1 starter from the 2011 defense on the 2015 Superbowl team (Charles Johnson). 

Doesn't matter if you think this team is trying to lose or not, a winning roster is going to look a LOT different than this one.

This roster just needs to develop a few gems and continue building through the draft.

59 minutes ago, bull123 said:

As bad as it looks, I rather have young guys giving their all, than many of the vets that tanked on us last year 

brown, the penn st DE, chin, pride...can all of these guys and others turn into big time players?...and soon?

100% agree. Why we are holding on and paying Short $26.5M extra for the next two years is beyond me. Same with Teddy. Save the $63M in cap and the 3rd round comp pick. Anderson is OK if you feel like he’ll be around for 5 years. He’s only 27 and Samuel might be leaving.

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

I’ll tell you what, I’ll bet you $1000 that Lawrence/Fields/Lance wins a SB before we do with Teddy and I have no clue what teams they’ll be on.

Woahhhh what a ballsy bet...Teddy in the next 2-3 years on a rebuilding team vs. 3 top college QB prospects for the entirety of their careers...damn! Badass.

Just like everything else this dude posts...lots of babble, no substance.

Archived