• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This has to be a record right? There are 9 rookies listed on the roster for the Panthers defense.

Jeremy Igo

6 hours ago, carhartt said:

This year’s defense will be no where as good as last year. 

I have to disagree.  I think this year's will be markedly better even with the rookies and weak secondary...  the problem with last year and the years prior was the front seven was abysmal, especially the DL.  It's much deeper and stronger this year, and that alone is going to make a huge difference.

Once we get Trevor or Fields and fire Hurney, this team will be headed in the right direction. 

Lol the defense will be bad, but not nearly as bad as last year.  We will be able to stop the run this year, in fact I expect it to be in the top half of the NFL.  Our pass D will not be as good, but I will take good rush D over good pass D every time.  If you can't stop the run teams will just run it all over you and not leave you any time to do anything(see last year).  There are many more things that could go wrong with a pass that has nothing to do with coverage.

Once we get Trevor or Fields and fire Hurney, this team will be headed in the right direction. 

Also, you need to get the idea of Trevor and Fields out of your head.  It's just not going to happen. The team doesnt want to lose and is good enough to win at least 5 games.

10 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Lol the defense will be bad, but not nearly as bad as last year.  We will be able to stop the run this year, in fact I expect it to be in the top half of the NFL. 

I will gladly take that bet.  One would have to be certifiably insane to "expect" our run d to be top half of league. 

45 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Also, you need to get the idea of Trevor and Fields out of your head.  It's just not going to happen. The team doesnt want to lose and is good enough to win at least 5 games.

I love the Panthers deeply, but this is wishful thinking IMO. Look at the roster player by player and you will see what I mean. 

I think we will be competitive most of the time this year. Winning comes down to making the plays at critical times in all three phases and we are young and mistake prone. So we will likely lose more than we win especially early. Then we will see how good the coaching really is, if the losses mount. Any coach is fine when you are winning but great coaches keep players fighting from beginning to end. If we play hard and tough like Rhule says he wants, I can live with the record whatever it is.  This year is good for the Panthers as this is a real baptist by fire (pandemic) for this staff and all these rookies. By next year imagine all the experience these rookies will have as we try to make a run. Any wins we get will be confidence boosters for the future but playing time for these guys is invaluable.

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:

I don’t believe that. This is unprecedented the amount of Rookies starting. Keeping all the damn Rookies from the Draft, keeping 3 Undrafted Rookies on the roster. But ya know, good enough to win 5 games. Lol, sure man. Don’t let the facts I just stated get in the way of that stellar ass opinion. 

35 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

I don’t believe that. This is unprecedented the amount of Rookies starting. Keeping all the damn Rookies from the Draft, keeping 3 Undrafted Rookies on the roster. But ya know, good enough to win 5 games. Lol, sure man. Don’t let the facts I just stated get in the way of that stellar ass opinion. 

Facts

We have the same amount of rookies on our team this year as last year.

We won 5 games last year with Kyle fuging Allen at QB

Vegas has us at 5.5 wins

Defense last year was ranked just about dead last and still won 5 games

We play 10 games vs opponents with losing records from last year

Jacksonville, Miami, Washington, Cincy, Giants and probably Cleveland are all worse teams than the Panthers this season. 

Trevor Lawrence will be selected by Jacksonville.  Fields will be selected by Washington.  

Archived