• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers running back update - Mike Davis hype

Jeremy Igo

As you know, Christian McCaffrey had one heck of a work load last season. It would be nice to see him not take quite as much of a pounding this year. 

Enter Mike Davis. The Panthers signed Davis last November. He saw very limited action last year (2 carries). 

This year, however, he seems to be making a real impression in training camp, more so than Reggie Bonnafon.

Matt Rhule spoke on this very subject. 

“We want Christian on the field as much as possible. But at the same time, we also understand that we have other good players. Mike Davis has had one of the best camps of anybody, and we want to utilize the players that we have available, and we also understand that we don’t want Christian to take on excess wear and tear. He’s going to take on wear and tear, but not excess wear and tear.”

Then there is this from offensive coordinator Joe Brady

I’ve loved what I’ve seen from Mike Davis. He came in focused. He came in in shape and ready to go. I think he’s taken off from there."

“I have no issues with giving him the ball and putting it in his hands, doing what he does. He’s started football games in this NFL. He’s not a young football player. I feel confident that if we call a play and it’s going to Mike Davis, that he’s gonna get the job done.”

It is interesting that this coaching staff has taken a shine to Davis more than the past regime.

Yeah it makes too much sense to have McCaffrey in the slot while Davis is in the backfield, at least for a handful of snaps every game. Davis' presence, assuming this isn't all smoke and mirrors, would legitimize the possibility of a run in those lineups and either force the defense to respect that or go all out for a passing play and open up a big lane for Davis to burst through. Let that happen a few times and suddenly they're playing more to stop the run, leaving CMC on a mismatch in the slot. It would keep McCaffrey an every down threat but save him from getting bruised up running up the middle a dozen times per game. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Talent evaluation was never exactly Ron Rivera's strong suit.

Here's hoping the current staff is much better at it.

He reminds me of a guy who ran a business in Wilmington(thankfully went tits up when COVID hit) that would always hire people 55+ with experience no matter if they were completely incompetent or not. Didn't matter if young, intelligent and far better employees wanted the jobs, he'd always give preference to his older guys. Didn't matter that they would go to jobs, fug them up and clients would ask they not be sent back. Those were "his guys." 

That's Ron Rivera.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He reminds me of a guy who ran a business in Wilmington(thankfully went tits up when COVID hit) that would always hire people 55+ with experience no matter if they were completely incompetent or not. Didn't matter if young, intelligent and far better employees wanted the jobs, he'd always give preference to his older guys. Didn't matter that they would go to jobs, fug them up and clients would ask they not be sent back. Those were "his guys." 

That's Ron Rivera.

Accurate...

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

As you know, Christian McCaffrey had one heck of a work load last season. It would be nice to see him not take quite as much of a pounding this year. 

Enter Mike Davis. The Panthers signed Davis last November. He saw very limited action last year (2 carries). 

This year, however, he seems to be making a real impression in training camp, more so than Reggie Bonnafon.

Matt Rhule spoke on this very subject. 

Then there is this from offensive coordinator Joe Brady

It is interesting that this coaching staff has taken a shine to Davis more than the past regime.

He was only on the team a month and a half or so last season. Its a different situation. 

Archived