• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady on the Panthers offense (This sounds fun)

Jeremy Igo

"When we're fortunate to be able to line up in the same formation for five straight plays and be able to call five different plays to get three receivers the ball and not have to move them around, it makes our lives a lot easier," - Joe Brady

After years of slow, plodding offensive play calling and execution how fun does this sound?

More from Brady: 

"I don't think the amount he had last year was a ridiculous amount of touches — I don't. I think he was on course with a player of his caliber with touches," Brady said. "Now, it might more so be when he's getting those touches and how he's getting those touches.

"But at the end of the day, we want to win football games, and that's the most important thing to him and to us. And I know when the ball's in his hands, he gives us a great opportunity to win. So we'll cross that path game by game."

This is strange because I keep hearing the Panthers goal this year is to lose football games so that they can draft some college kid that may or may not work out in the nfl. 

One word he used during the interview stood out...TEMPO.  This indicates to me that they will use a lot of no huddle. This will force the defense to stay with the same personnel while we will be able to run a variety of plays with our same personnel. Running a fast paced offense can keep the defense off balanced but can lead to a lot of 3 and out with little time off the clock.  

12 minutes ago, sml1950 said:

One word he used during the interview stood out...TEMPO.  

I remember when playing the Saints a few years ago I got a picture of Sean Payton and took a close look at his offensive play sheet. 

He had "TEMPO" written in sharpie on top of it in big letters, underlined. 

Joe Brady is said to have the same mindset as Payton. Sure seems like it. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

After years of slow, plodding offensive play calling and execution how fun does this sound?

I don't get it. Isn't the ball supposed to be snapped just before the play clock expires?

What are we gonna do with all those early time outs? Can't take 'em with you.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

More from Brady: 

This is strange because I keep hearing the Panthers goal this year is to lose football games so that they can draft some college kid that may or may not work out in the nfl. 

Well CMC had a poo-ton of touches last year and we only won 5 games so I’m not sure if his amount of touches correlates to team wins.

The purpose for offense under Rivera was always to score just enough points so that the defense could win the game for us. That's not going to be the case anymore.

(Side Note: Newton when no longer be subject to that philosophy either; could be interesting to watch how he performs)

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I'm actually more interested in the play design.

Downfield passing, for example. Under Rivera it was just the basic "send some guys downfield and throw to whoever's open" idea. I've seen plays designed by Sean Payton though where a downfield receiver already had blockers positioned by design.

Could be a lot of fun to watch.

Archived