• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper talks Matt Rhule and Marty Hurney

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rhule was 2-5 against top 25 teams at Temple. Those two wins were against East Carolina and Navy.

He was 0-11 against top 25 teams at Baylor. 

There's no doubt he turned programs around, but there's no evidence yet that he can actually beat good teams. 

Lord knows I hope he does.

I still remember when they told the story of his interview how much it reminded me of a couple of gullible people being completely won over by a smooth used car salesman.

Like anybody here, I absolutely want this to turn out to be the right choice. That said, it still gets me that they chose a guy based on personality when they had the option of someone with a track record of actual success in the NFL and the connections to build a top flight organization around him.

Again, hope it works out, but until it does I'm skeptical.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We should basically be skeptical of everything at the moment. 

We have an owner and GM that haven't won much together and we have a coach that hasn't won at all in the NFL.

I'm absolutely skeptical, and I'd say we have very good reason to be.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I still remember when they told the story of his interview how much it reminded me of a couple of gullible people being completely won over by a smooth used car salesman.

Like anybody here, I absolutely want this to turn out to be the right choice. That said, it still gets me that they chose a guy based on personality when they had the option of someone with a track record of actual success in the NFL and the connections to build a top flight organization around him.

I have seen the real world consequences of making a management hire based on personality over experience and knowledge. Not pretty.

I hope Rhule ends up being everything they think he is. I don't want to be in this same spot in 5-6 years again.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I have seen the real world consequences of making a management hire based on personality over experience and knowledge. Not pretty.

I hope Rhule ends up being everything they think he is. I don't want to be in this same spot in 5-6 years again.

Seven year contract with big bucks to a guy who spent one season in the NFL as an assistant line coach...

Cringed when that news came out :fear:

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

anyone else worried that between teppers money and ego that we end up being a revolving door of coaches for the next 15 years like the bills were, or jags, or browns

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

The hire I could kind of process, the money and commitment level made me facepalm. 

It just seemed so.....Panthers.

Tepper is used to being the smartest guy in the room. And when it comes to anything financial, he probably is.

Football? That remains to be seen.

Here's hoping, because thinking you're the smartest guy in the room when you aren't is absolutely a recipe for disaster.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

anyone else worried that between teppers money and ego that we end up being a revolving door of coaches for the next 15 years like the bills were, or jags, or browns

Tepper strikes me more as a guy who will stick with something or someone that isn't cutting it for the sake of his ego rather than someone who'll have a revolving door.

Neither of those is a good option.

Yea fired GM gets rehired, essentially rehired again by new owner, gets to be in charge of finding his replacement, which he’s been really diligent about and has somehow defined interim GM as something that means 4+ years...

I mean I hate Hurney but he’s a fuging genius.

One piece of clarification regarding Marty's status...

A lot of Panther fans were under the impression that this past offseason was set to be the last one under Marty as it was believed that Hurney's contract ended immediately after the 2020 season.

According to Joe Person, that's not true.

Hurney's existing contract actually runs through next June, which means that barring any changes between now and then, Marty will be overseeing at least one more draft and free agency period.

Person also thinks it's possible that Tepper gives Marty at least a one-year extension, basically because he likes him so much.

Here's hoping Joe is wrong.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

On Marty Hurney's Contract Extension

. In the past, Tepper has alluded to shifting some of the GM's roles to another position. That may still be happening. 

I think he will reduce Marty's role.  No consistency, overpays, bad trades, etc.

All evidence suggest that we will not be a very good team consistently as long as Hurney is here, since we never have been and 2.0 is actually a bigger loser than 1.0. 1.0 = 44.8% winning and 2.0 = 37.5%.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/HurnMa0.htm

There is a chance that Rhule and Hurney somehow mesh in a way that overcomes each other's weaknesses. I wouldn't bet on it but that's the hope we are forced to have as fans. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

One piece of clarification regarding Marty's status...

A lot of Panther fans were under the impression that this past offseason was set to be the last one under Marty as it was believed that Hurney's contract ended immediately after the 2020 season.

According to Joe Person, that's not true.

Hurney's existing contract actually runs through next June, which means that barring any changes between now and then, Marty will be overseeing at least one more draft and free agency period.

Person also thinks it's possible that Tepper gives Marty at least a one-year extension, basically because he likes him so much.

Here's hoping Joe is wrong.

This does't shock me at all.

After he was brought back, I was floored.

When he chose himself as the very best candidate for the GM position after a long drawn out search, I was floored.

After he wasn't shown the door when Ron was let go, I was floored....and knew that we were in for a pretty tough next couple years.

Every single day my faith in Tepper erodes a little more.

Archived