• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper talks Matt Rhule and Marty Hurney

Jeremy Igo

Tepper spoke a little about both Carolina Panthers head coach Matt Rhule and GM Marty Hurney yesterday. Here is what he had to say. 

On Matt Rhule

Coach Rhule is a disciplined-process (coach), but he also has that old, hard-nosed sort of Pittsburgh deal. He's not from Pittsburgh, but he's from Pennsylvania, not too far away. So I think I appreciate all that about him," Tepper said. "He's a good speaker with you all, but he's also a great communicator with his players, and I really appreciate that."

"He's a great evaluator, a great motivator," Tepper said. "It doesn't hurt, that degree, in how you deal with people, and how you deal with people, particularly this year. So I know it's not something you think about football coaches potentially being smart away from football, or having a master's degree even. But this coach does."

Tepper clearly feels a connection to Rhule based on his home geography. Guys from PA "get" one another.  Matt Rhule has a master's degree in educational psychology, making him not just an expert in teaching but in understanding how people learn. This could explain why every team he has coached has improved greatly in a short amount of time. Will it work at a NFL level? We shall see. 

On Marty Hurney's Contract Extension

"There's been too much to do to have those conversations," Tepper said. "You should ask me that question later on.

"Marty and I are very concentrated on doing as much as we can — and obviously coach Rhule — in getting this football team in shape and making sure we keep the players safe and healthy and starting the season. And that's all we care about right now."

I'm not sure what to think about no talks happening on Hurney's contract extension. There probably isn't much news here. He still has a year left on his contract. Perhaps 2020's talent evaluation on who he brought in will be a deciding factor on if he stays or goes. In the past, Tepper has alluded to shifting some of the GM's roles to another position. That may still be happening. 

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hurney's continued presence is easily the most baffling thing about the Tepper era. We're cleaning house all over the place, yet the GM who got fired previously for tanking the team and couldn't so much as get an interview anywhere else is still here.

With the Panthers being trash this year, the percentage of him being here after the season isn't high, in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

With the Panthers being trash this year, the percentage of him being here after the season isn't high, in my opinion. 

Rhule seems to have the final say on the roster, either way. That’s why we couldn’t get the guy from the Eagles. Think Tepper wants Rhule to have full control early on to see if he can do what he did at Temple and Baylor. It’s the only thing that makes sense out of all of this.

My hope is that Hurney gets moved to a more appropriate position next season. 

perhaps we just didnt like the candidates that were available this offseason and are just holding tight in what is going to be a rebuilding year anyway. 

its also a possibility Hurney is just a "GM" by title and matt rhule is calling the personnel shots.   

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Tepper spoke a little about both Carolina Panthers head coach Matt Rhule and GM Marty Hurney yesterday. Here is what he had to say. 

On Matt Rhule

Tepper clearly feels a connection to Rhule based on his home geography. Guys from PA "get" one another.  Matt Rhule has a master's degree in educational psychology, making him not just an expert in teaching but in understanding how people learn. This could explain why every team he has coached has improved greatly in a short amount of time. Will it work at a NFL level? We shall see. 

On Marty Hurney's Contract Extension

I'm not sure what to think about no talks happening on Hurney's contract extension. There probably isn't much news here. He still has a year left on his contract. Perhaps 2020's talent evaluation on who he brought in will be a deciding factor on if he stays or goes. In the past, Tepper has alluded to shifting some of the GM's roles to another position. That may still be happening. 

Has anyone else been watching that AppleTV show 'Ted Lasso' and seeing parallels with Matt Rhule and the Panthers? 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hurney's continued presence is easily the most baffling thing about the Tepper era. We're cleaning house all over the place, yet the GM who got fired previously for tanking the team and couldn't so much as get an interview anywhere else is still here.

It will be hard for me to take this franchise seriously until Hurney is gone. Not demoted, gone.   

Anyone who has been on this board knows my distaste for Marty Hurney.  I have held this belief long before the end of his first term here, and knew that if given the chance would put this team right back at the top of the draft once again....here we are.

To the folks saying "it's OK, this is Rhule's show now" as a reason to be OK with Marty still lurking around the building...that's NOT a good thing.  That's a really bad thing.  Matt needs to be learning a LOT of stuff right now...contract disputes, comp picks, falling cap, upcoming college prospects, etc.....

That's far too much on a rookie HC, much less one who has never even held so much as a coordinator position in the NFL.

We need a legit GM to help Matt, not a yes man who let's him do his thing.

Tepper seems really enamored with Rhule's personality. And I get that. He's an extremely charismatic person. Plus, he's accomplished a lot at the college level.

With that said, so did Chip Kelly. And Rhule wasn't facing the highest level of competition where he coached.

It's far from guaranteed that he'll be successful at the NFL level. We all hope that he will, but right now he's still a huge unknown and giving him anything close to full control is very premature.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper seems really enamored with Rhule's personality. And I get that. He's an extremely charismatic person. Plus, he's accomplished a lot at the college level.

With that said, so did Chip Kelly. And Rhule wasn't facing the highest level of competition where he coached.

It's far from guaranteed that he'll be successful at the NFL level. We all hope that he will, but right now he's still a huge unknown and giving him anything close to full control is very premature.

Rhule was 2-5 against top 25 teams at Temple. Those two wins were against East Carolina and Navy.

He was 0-11 against top 25 teams at Baylor. 

There's no doubt he turned programs around, but there's no evidence yet that he can actually beat good teams. 

Archived