• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper talks layoffs and the reasons behind them.

Jeremy Igo

So I get that it's his team, his company, his money, yada yada yada. I get it.

On a personal/human level though, this dude is a multi billionaire. This dude has so much money, he can't spend it all in one lifetime. 

If you want to earn some good PR, and be a good fuging person, dude could pay every single one of those YEARLY salaries (and then some) until this blows over and not even break a sweat. 

Again, I get it, it's his money to do with what he chooses, but at the same time, dude is seeing his neighbors' houses on fire while he owns the town's water supply and he's refusing to spare a drop.

Motherfuger is a dragon hoarding his gold. 

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So I get that it's his team, his company, his money, yada yada yada. I get it.

On a personal/human level though, this dude is a multi billionaire. This dude has so much money, he can't spend it all in one lifetime. 

If you want to earn some good PR, and be a good fuging person, dude could pay every single one of those YEARLY salaries (and then some) until this blows over and not even break a sweat. 

Again, I get it, it's his money to do with what he chooses, but at the same time, dude is seeing his neighbors' houses on fire while he owns the town's water supply and he's refusing to spare a drop.

Motherfuger is a dragon hoarding his gold. 

To be fair, we don’t know what kind of severance these people got. It could be significant.

But yeah, if he had the option to keep these people on for a while (he does), then he should have done it. It’s the right thing to do right now.

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

I know a few folks who were “laid off” from the Panthers...and they all agree it was good for them. The Cares Act bills gave them far more money as a “laid off” employee than they would have received otherwise.  

Cares act is done. Maximum amount of money you can draw on unemployment in NC is about $300a week.  Barely enough to buy food and keep the lights on.

12 minutes ago, Tbe said:

No be fair, we don’t know what kind of severance these people got. It could be significant.

But yeah, if he had the option to keep these people on for a while (he does), then he should have done it. It’s the right thing to do right now.

Very true. If he gave them some good severance, then dope on him. No idea if he did or he didn't though. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I doubt any laid off personnel would say it was good for them in this jobs market climate. 

Nothing for them to do? Maybe see that as an opportunity to train them to do something else. Do what it takes to keep good people around until this all clears up. 

Unless, of course, he wanted to get rid of them anyways because thats what he wanted to do. Which is fine, it is his team. 

Last I checked it's hard as hell to find people. These people will have a job the next day. With that said big corp is annoying AF with layoffs. Take our distributor US Foods. They layed off 500 drivers after two weeks of COVID. TWO WEEKS! Now they can't find drivers to replace those 500 they let go and it's causing suppy chain problems because restaurants are all back and need supplies. Tepper will find the same thing out when he needs a stadium fully staffed. Those people who have been there years won't be back. 

6 minutes ago, carhartt said:

There are small business owners out here paying for their employees’ salaries during this pandemic. 

And those businesses should be helped greatly by the government - not the 250,000,000,000 bailout the airline industry received. 

Major Kudos to Jonathon Jones for those questions. They very well may be the last questions he ever gets to ask Tepper. 

Teppers answer isn’t surprising in the least. A man of that magnitude doesn’t get to where he is without being able to make the tough decision seem painless to himself. 

His issue is he basically tried to explain it while shoving both of his feet down his throat. 

3 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

As an aside, people with boatloads of money and liquid assets don't obtain that wealth by making bad business decisions or being poor owners. If this drags on for a year or two, what benefit will employing people with no chance of advancing themselves provide? Is this the kick in the butt America needed to demolish the individualism that really is the only thing that has separated us from the rest of the world? Or is there simply rage because a billionaire laid someone off in a time where there are conceivably less jobs? 

When would there be a good time? What was he planning to do prior to the pandemic? Were these shifts coming anyway? What does the Panthers balance sheet look like? etc., so on, so forth.

Jerking the rug out from under them in a terrible job market in arguable the worst state in America for unemployment insurance... yeah, I'm sure they're so much better off.

You guys act like everyone who made $ on WallStreet is super duper smart and MUST know how to run a people centric business.

WallStreet unethically stole the wealth of Americans. How many people lost thousands/millions? Somebody has that $.

Maybe the biggest players get inside info from political connections? Stop worshipping the $. Judge a man by the content of his character.

Weppers (I'm censored) character looks really f'd up. Sorry.

Archived