• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL teams with the most dead money

Jeremy Igo

9 hours ago, DeSim said:

He’s done bad (what you just mentioned) and he’s done some good...but again, to say he’s one of the 3 worst based off just 2 years, is extreme. You may end up being right in the future, but everybody deserves some time, and he hasn’t had enough yet to be criticized fairly.  This is the first year that he’s made some actual real change (the coaching staff), so let’s just wait and see. 

This sounds reasonable and fair minded.

You must be new here.

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hurney already reworked Short's contract. Hurney "reworking" contract of aging players is what gets him in cap hell.

Gettleman did the contract for 80 million for 5 years not Hurney. All Hurney did was rework the 2019 cap hit from 18 million to a lower number. Only someone with an agenda would blame Hurney for restructuring a contract with almost a 20 million cap hit for a DT 2 years after he was signed. And Gettleman is the one who gave him a contract averaging 16 million not Hurney.

14 hours ago, Smithers said:

C6028B31-59E7-4EA1-92E7-4BF0E56760F9.thumb.png.d4a0da0ff20abd855b3b1de426a4cb6c.pngSeveral guys on this list have nothing to do with Hurney.  Let’s get off the hate train. 

Actually, to me it looks like Kalil is the only one not due to Hurney because Kalil needed to be cut. Don’t forget all of the bonus restructuring.

Also, this dead cap stuff is silly. There is dead bonus money on literally every player that gets a bonus and has a multi-year deal.

Short gets only $13M in salary this year but his cap hit is $19.5M due to signing bonus and SMH a restructure bonus. That’s $6.5M “dead” money on the cap for Short but because he’s on the team it doesn’t get listed as dead cap.

This topic gets rehashed all the time because there are actually people who still think that Matt Kalil is actually getting paid by us this year. It’s a cap accounting trick. Kalil got paid $25M but we only booked $10M in the two years he played so we could spread that $25M across four years. If we hadn’t gone FA crazy we could have just absorbed it last year. I mean, we spent $6M on Williams, $10M on Paradis, $10M on Reid and around $35M on DTs with the worst run D in the league. I mean Kalil is nothing compared to the money we wasted just last year and yet ooh dead cap is so bad. Lol.

25 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Gettleman did the contract for 80 million for 5 years not Hurney. All Hurney did was rework the 2019 cap hit from 18 million to a lower number. Only someone with an agenda would blame Hurney for restructuring a contract with almost a 20 million cap hit for a DT 2 years after he was signed. And Gettleman is the one who gave him a contract averaging 16 million not Hurney.

The restructure did add $4M more to Short’s dead money if we cut him and likely extended Shorts career with us. We should be cutting him pre-2020 so Hurney did contribute. DG’s contract was basically a 3 year $45-50M deal (hard to tell since the sites have the restructuring now). With the restructure that became a 4 year $67M or a 5 year $80M.

DG signed the big deal but Hurney’s splurge last year created future issues by restructuring so he’s on the hot seat for 2020 and maybe 2021. Short didn’t need to be restructured if we didn’t dole out so many bad deals for guys who one year later aren’t on the team.

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The restructure did add $4M more to Short’s dead money if we cut him and likely extended Shorts career with us. We should be cutting him pre-2020 so Hurney did contribute. DG’s contract was basically a 3 year $45-50M deal (hard to tell since the sites have the restructuring now). With the restructure that became a 4 year $67M or a 5 year $80M.

DG signed the big deal but Hurney’s splurge last year created future issues by restructuring so he’s on the hot seat for 2020 and maybe 2021. Short didn’t need to be restructured if we didn’t dole out so many bad deals for guys who one year later aren’t on the team.

Not sure I agree he should have been released given that KK was a probowler in 2018. He earned his money and losing most all of 2019 was surely unforseen. 

Not sure I agree that a 4 million dollar addition to dead cap space would have kept us from moving on. Or that we should have moved on. In fact you and a few others are the only pounding the KK topic to nauseum at every point. And again Hurney didn't cut those players this past off-season autonomously, Rhule is running the show with Tepper's full blessing. Sure the buck may stop with the GM but anyone without an agenda clearly knows that Hurney didn't make all these changes he just did what the owner and coach wanted him to do which is his job. Yes KK needed to be restructured if you plan to keep him and we did and do.  It is funny that when Gettleman restructured deals to reduce cap he was a hero and when Hurney does the same to account for Kalil for example he suddenly sucks. And everyone forgets for example the restructuring he did for Olsen to make him happy and then didn't have to pay any of it when he got hurt again. But let me stop, we have had these conversations before and you say nothing positive about Hurney or Short.

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not sure I agree he should have been released given that KK was a probowler in 2018. He earned his money and losing most all of 2019 was surely unforseen. 

Not sure I agree that a 4 million dollar addition to dead cap space would have kept us from moving on. Or that we should have moved on. In fact you and a few others are the only pounding the KK topic to nauseum at every point. And again Hurney didn't cut those players this past off-season autonomously, Rhule is running the show with Tepper's full blessing. Sure the buck may stop with the GM but anyone without an agenda clearly knows that Hurney didn't make all these changes he just did what the owner and coach wanted him to do which is his job. Yes KK needed to be restructured if you plan to keep him and we did and do.  It is funny that when Gettleman restructured deals to reduce cap he was a hero and when Hurney does the same to account for Kalil for example he suddenly sucks. And everyone forgets for example the restructuring he did for Olsen to make him happy and then didn't have to pay any of it when he got hurt again. But let me stop, we have had these conversations before and you say nothing positive about Hurney or Short.

I said release him this year. Restructuring added another $4M in “dead” money so yes it made it harder to release him in a rebuilding year. 2020 and 2021 Short contract years are on Hurney. It was a 3 year deal, which was smart based on Short’s age and all the extra money Marty spent last year (pre-Rhule) turned it into a 4+ year deal. Not sure why that’s hard to understand. And no, we did not “need” to restructure Short’s deal in year 3. It was only done to be able to add a lot of dollars for other FAs.

Aw, my low intelligence isn’t saying positive things about the drafts that Marty butchered before Rhule took over and Short who has 3 sacks in two years and is 100% not in a 3-5 year plan.

Also, you really want me to say positive things about a yes man? WTF is the point of a yes man? A good GM finds good players and doesn’t just rubber stamp coaches picks which may not be good for the team. He’s not a good GM, especially if he just does what he’s told. That’s why pre-Rhule, post Gettleman has been a black hole of talent suck from the team.

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I said release him this year. Restructuring added another $4M in “dead” money so yes it made it harder to release him in a rebuilding year. 2020 and 2021 Short contract years are on Hurney. It was a 3 year deal, which was smart based on Short’s age and all the extra money Marty spent last year (pre-Rhule) turned it into a 4+ year deal. Not sure why that’s hard to understand. And no, we did not “need” to restructure Short’s deal in year 3. It was only done to be able to add a lot of dollars for other FAs.

Aw, my low intelligence isn’t saying positive things about the drafts that Marty butchered before Rhule took over and Short who has 3 sacks in two years and is 100% not in a 3-5 year plan.

Also, you really want me to say positive things about a yes man? WTF is the point of a yes man? A good GM finds good players and doesn’t just rubber stamp coaches picks which may not be good for the team. He’s not a good GM, especially if he just does what he’s told. That’s why pre-Rhule, post Gettleman has been a black hole of talent suck from the team.

He doesn't understand the cap well enough to make these arguments with you.

DG has 1 terrible miss at the very top of that list...the rest are Marty's, and yes, KK and Paradis should have been added to the list as well.

Dumb team doing dumb things.

18 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

He doesn't understand the cap well enough to make these arguments with you.

DG has 1 terrible miss at the very top of that list...the rest are Marty's, and yes, KK and Paradis should have been added to the list as well.

Dumb team doing dumb things.

Wasn't the Trai Turner deal already in final phase and when DG was let go, MH finished it? 

55 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You have a weird affinity for the pro bowl and players that make it.  It would probably help you to research how these players are chosen, it would be immensely helpful to you when you try and prop a player up by that

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You have a weird affinity for the pro bowl and players that make it.  It would probably help you to research how these players are chosen, it would be immensely helpful to you when you try and prop a player up by that

two thirds of the voting is done by Players and Coaches. That means if a player is put into the Pro Bowl, the players and coaches he faced is the reason he is there. Wouldn't that mean if you are in the pro bowl you are one of the best at your job?

Am I understanding this correclty?

35 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It would be stupid to release him this year with over 40 million of deaad cap space already. It keeps going back to the whole tanking/rebuilding argument. And of course a GM does what the owner wants him to do. I am sure he tells Rhule and Tepper what he thinks but ultimately only a fool would go against the guy who can hire or fire you. And if you get players your coach doesn't want or doesn't think they got his scheme, they won't play or contribute as he would like. Do you really think the Game job is to do his own thing regardless of what the owner or coach want? 

But again this is nothing new and you have the same 3 or 4 rants you go on everytime the topic gets brought up. No one is saying Hurney is the greatest but he isn't nearly as bad as you critics make him out to be. Any anyone such as Tepper who disagrees is suddenly a terrible owner.  So I am going to move on. Clearly the Panthers don't agree and honestly their opinion is the only that matters right now. So feel free free to be triggered and rant. It makes such a difference. LOL.

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Nope. It is one marker the league has designated to recognize players worth and 2/3rds of the vote is made by coaches and players. Maybe you need to do some research but the again why start now. 

Archived