• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney Magic?

Jeremy Igo

We now can conclude the talk on Hurney's trade of Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo. 

In return we got 3rd rounder Rashaan Gauldan and 7th rounder Andre Smith. Neither player made any impact at all at any point during the season. This is understandable for a 5th round player, but a third round player should at least have been a solid backup at some point in his career. 

So...

Overall, not great. But neither was Kelvin so its a wash I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

It was almost unanimous on the huddle that Gaulden was a horrible pick from the jump...  that being said, there were a lot of us who felt KB was a bad pick as well...  the first round misses are more costly...

Gaulden was a real head scratcher. His measurables were awful. Really have no idea why Hurney selected him. The college scouts did not want him at all. 

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

In return we got 3rd rounder Rashaan Gauldan and 5th rounder Andre Smith. Neither player made any impact at all at any point during the season. This is understandable for a 5th round player, but a third round player should at least have been a solid backup at some point in his career. 

So...

Wasn’t Andre a 7th round pick?  

22 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

It was almost unanimous on the huddle that Gaulden was a horrible pick from the jump...  that being said, there were a lot of us who felt KB was a bad pick as well...  the first round misses are more costly...

KB is one of those head scratcher picks for me. He had a lot of potential but never seemed to be the same after his knee injury and the loss of his mother. His has always been a what could have been career. He wasn't a highly motivated player from the start, but he never really seemed to get it back together after his mom. Sometimes it's really hard to get back out of that "dark place."

Just now, bull123 said:

He was trying to recoup gettlemans horrible pick of Benjamin 

we should trade every pick below 3rd round every year and load up

I don't think KB was a horrible pick. It wasn't a great pick for a late first rounder, but there has been worse. 

Vernon Butler for example...

KB was incredible his first season. After his injury and his momma's passing he was never the same though. I'll never forget how he skied between two Clemson defenders during the college season opener the year we drafted him; it was at that moment that I knew I wanted him on the team. His rookie year filled me with so much hope :(

In the end, Hurney couldn't do anything with the two picks he got out of the KB trade. The only reason I say this is a push is because BUF got next to nothing out of KB as well...

But still, Hurney gonna Hurney

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

In return we got 3rd rounder Rashaan Gauldan and 7th rounder Andre Smith. Neither player made any impact at all at any point during the season. This is understandable for a 5th round player, but a third round player should at least have been a solid backup at some point in his career. 

So...

Hurney has a weird obsession in drafting big college names with marginal athleticism. If there is are players that historically bomb athletic/measurement prototype tests they would be on the Marty radar!  It is just the thing he does.

I love that Matt Rhule is seemingly forcing him to lean toward elite size speed guya....which has to drive Hurney crazy as he wants to against the grain of general scouting consensus just to get that 1 cb/safety he unearthed that ran 4.7 like Gaulden who was not even a locker room leader guy.  It was another hot garbage pick in real time that was doomed to fail. 

Archived