• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers release LB Andre Smith

Jeremy Igo

10 minutes ago, carhartt said:

We had him for 2 seasons on the team. And still got the same pick we used on him back. That’s helluva trade. 

First, I was laughing that it’s three years out and it’s also conditional. It’s not really the same pick. Draft picks in future years are devalued. If we actually even get the pick it’s because Smith ended up being better than we thought.

It really doesn’t matter, we probably won’t get the pick and again it’s like a second tier UDFA in 2020 since it’s 3 years out.

Also, instead of a helluva trade, which it really isn’t, it would be nice if we got more out of our draft picks. The picks from 2018 and 2019 are dropping like flies which sucks since we even had two extra 3rd rounders.

3 hours ago, carhartt said:

I get it. Some teams once in a blue moon will nail an entire draft. But, that’s awfully difficult to do. It’s all based on luck after the 3rd round. How many teams have found their Tom Brady in the 6th round after Tom Brady? Don’t give me Gardner Minshew. Russell Wilson is probably the last great QB to be drafted outside the 1st and 2nd round. A 7th round is just another pick to help you get a ST player or backup. If they turn out into a starter, just be thankful you got lucky. 

True on luck although sometimes you can improve the luck. I hate to keep bringing up this example but we took a flyer on a RB with a checkered past when we didn’t really need another backup when there was a 3-4/4-3 DE who was rated as a late 2nd/3rd rounder who fell because he wasn’t a ridiculous athlete. The big difference is that the DE excelled at the Senior Bowl which had almost every good OL there that year from 1st rounders to a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders. You had a live apples to apples comparison. Omenihu has a solid contribution as a rookie and by year 3 will likely be a starter for them. It’s not always just luck but you have to have the ability to pivot off of the guy you liked when someone better at a much more desirable position becomes available.

Also, our biggest issues and why since 2017 the Saints have dominated us is day 2. Our 2nd and 3rd rounders (we had 6 of picks, not the normal 4) and a mediocre CB, backups and 2 wasted picks is all we have. Moton is the last solid day 2 pick we had since Samuel still hasn’t broken out. Since then the Saints have Kamara, McCoy, Williams, Smith and a couple backup/rotational defenders. That doesn’t even include Thomas and Bell in 2016. They had 1 day 2 pick in 2019 after our 2nd round pick and they did better than we did with 3 day 2 picks.

I’m so glad Rhule and the coaching staff took over the draft. Our day 2 picks in 2020 already feel better than the 6 day 2 picks in 2018/2019.

21 hours ago, carhartt said:

Beane should’ve been our GM. 

And that was the plan and Jerry Richardson royally fuged it up by deciding to keep Gettleman over him and then randomly firing Gettleman months later right before the start of the season 

The Panthers on Wednesday filled their 80th roster spot by signing linebacker James Onwualu.

The four-year veteran initially signed with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame. He appeared in nine games for Los Angeles in 2017 as a special teams contributor. Onwualu then appeared in five games for San Francisco in 2018, again playing only special teams.

Archived