• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers release LB Andre Smith

Jeremy Igo

I'm very surprised because I thought he did well enough in a back up and ST role. I guess the writing was on the wall when they brought in Adarius Taylor and Julian Stanford along with Kunaszyk having a decent camp from what it seems.

But I ain't gonna miss out on an opportunity to dunk on Hurney :D

2018 we still have Moore, Jackson, Thomas, Haynes, and Carter Jr. Jackson has been boom or bust while Thomas & Haynes show up in camp but disappear during the season. I like what I see out of Moore and Carter Jr, but I don't think we retain the latter when it comes time for the second contract. Hopefully Jackson, Thomas, or Haynes can breakout so that we don't have the usual money in the first and a bunch of trash throughout the draft.

2 minutes ago, SmartyHurney said:

Oh yeah, you got me. Cam, the most important player in our franchise history being released in favor of a $20 million dollar at best game manager that will fug the Panthers out of having a legit chance at an actual QB. Totally forgot how you called that one man.

Keep making dumbass posts in support of bad players year in and out, and predictions that after ass-opposite of reality. You do it every fuging season, and for the one time you're "correct" you gloat about it, even when it's absolutely fuging over the team.

Trash brains.

lol

47 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney basically traded for him. That got him a roster spot in a face saving move for a few years. 

Apparently Rhule isn't interested in Hurney's ego. 

What is the basis for this narrative about Hurney’s ego and how he holds onto players to save face? As you pointed out in your other thread...he ALSO basically traded for Gaulden in the same year (but four rounds higher), yet he was able to cut ties after a little over a year. So how does that make sense that he held onto Andre Smith for longer, just to save face? He also cut Jordan Scarlett (a 5th round pick) after a year...so many logical inconsistencies with this narrative.

So just to be clear, are coaches telling him “Hey this dude sucks, please cut him” and Hurney is like “Nuh uh! I don’t wanna look bad!”?

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

What is the basis for this narrative about Hurney’s ego and how he holds onto players to save face? As you pointed out in your other thread...he ALSO basically traded for Gaulden in the same year (but two rounds higher), yet he was able to cut ties after a little over a year. So how does that make sense that he held onto Andre Smith for longer, just to save face? He also cut Jordan Scarlett (another 5th round pick) after a year...so many logical inconsistencies with this narrative.

So just to be clear, are coaches telling him “Hey this dude sucks, please cut him” and Hurney is like “Nuh uh! I don’t wanna look bad!”?

Fair points. I am likely being too hard on Hurney. 

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

What is the basis for this narrative about Hurney’s ego and how he holds onto players to save face? As you pointed out in your other thread...he ALSO basically traded for Gaulden in the same year (but four rounds higher), yet he was able to cut ties after a little over a year. So how does that make sense that he held onto Andre Smith for longer, just to save face? He also cut Jordan Scarlett (a 5th round pick) after a year...so many logical inconsistencies with this narrative.

This place is founded on simple minded narratives. It will never change.

Current LBs on the roster:
Shaq Thompson
Tahir Whitehead
Adarius Taylor
Julian Stanford
Jermaine Carter Jr
Jordan Kunaszyk
Chris Orr
Sam Franklin

If I were a betting man, I'd say the top 6 are roster bound while the other 2 are designated for the PS. I think the team takes 6 LBs into the season instead of 7 with flexibility they have in guys like Chinn, Burns, and Haynes that can shift levels to LB depending on the package.

Just now, Icege said:

Current LBs on the roster:
Shaq Thompson
Tahir Whitehead
Adarius Taylor
Julian Stanford
Jermaine Carter Jr
Jordan Kunaszyk
Chris Orr
Sam Franklin

If I were a betting man, I'd say the top 6 are roster bound while the other 2 are designated for the PS. I think the team takes 6 LBs into the season instead of 7 with flexibility they have in guys like Chinn, Burns, and Haynes that can shift levels to LB depending on the package.

Definitely looks like a positional draft need next year. 

14 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

This place is founded on simple minded narratives. It will never change.

I had to go back and correct my original post to reflect that Andre Smith was actually a 7th round pick, not a 5th round pick. Classic egomaniac Hurney, holding onto a 7th round pick for years just to avoid the immense shame and ridicule that comes with drafting a failed 7th round pick!

13 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I had to go back and correct my original post to reflect that Andre Smith was actually a 7th round pick, not a 5th round pick. Classic egomaniac Hurney, holding onto a 7th round pick for years just to avoid the immense shame and ridicule that comes with drafting a failed 7th round pick!

And yet he cut Scarlett and Godwin from last years draft already. Godwin after one camp.

Sometimes guys with potential don't pan out. Sometimes they are marginals but don't transition well to new coaching. Both could be the case here. Best of luck to the guy in his future endeavors, but now someone else is going to get a chance. 

That's the way the world works and its how teams get better. 80 guys in camp, 53 guys make the team, 27 are going to go home and re-evaluate if this is the career they were meant to have. Have a little class when talking about those guys who may be seeing the end of a lifelong dream and have a cheer or two for those guys who busted their asses just to make it on those last few team spots.

You and I aren't super stars, we probably have a lot more in common with those guys on the bubble. Show them a bit of respect and wish them well, for they were us 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Archived