• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Madden 21 is apparently a steaming pile of poo

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, Jacabee said:

EA could never subsist on this model with their reputation. They’re the poster boy for micro transaction exploitation. Epic capitalized on trademarking themselves as the robin hood of the gaming industry. Their former campaign against steam about over-charging developers and current crusade against apple for the premiums apple charges to sell on their platform is in many ways a tacit recognition of this fact by Epic. 

Apex Legends is EA and makes hundreds of millions a year using that model. I think it’s more that they don’t want to open up the floodgates for sports games since FIFA is a worldwide cash cow as is.

EA, activation, and blizzard do not care if a few stop buying their games. They already have a pod of whales to support them. One whale can be equal to 100s of other gamers. Besides many are addicted to playing Madden and can not stop buying next years up-dated roster version with minor tweaks. Been going on for over 15 years, they are who we thought they are. Having a monopoly or dictatorship control, these are the results. Its plainly that simple. 

11 hours ago, jbland said:

I haven’t bought madden since 2006. That game was so bad I swore it off. I was always a bigger fan of COD anyway. 

COD was on its way to trying to be like Battlefield now they want to be like Fortnite... LoL  CoD is trash only black op is even close to playable

41 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Apex Legends is EA and makes hundreds of millions a year using that model. I think it’s more that they don’t want to open up the floodgates for sports games since FIFA is a worldwide cash cow as is.

Yea after my initial response, felt it was a bit too short on this issue. To clarify,  EA can’t sustain the demands of shareholders with said  free to play business model. The “hundreds of millions” are not enough to satiate the greed of old and new investors. They’re currently chasing the best of both worlds In charging for the games plus their game as service model.

Id expect the gaming market to dramatically change over the next few years. An exclusivity approach is not viable with all the options. VR is becoming commercially viable, next gen consoles may have ray tracing and 4K TVs are cheaper than ever.

Further,  some developers are broaching the nature of the football. exclusivity licenses. I believe it was Rodeo that mentioned the fact that 2k signed a recent deal. My understanding of it is it allows them to use the name and likeness trademarks of the nfl but cannot incorporate them into a “simulation” of nfl football. It remains to be seen what “simulation”. Successfully toppling Madden might be worth a try.

The talk among my gamer friends is that Madden's addition of The Yard mode which seems like an amazing concept on the surface, was actually EA trying to get out in front of 2K's football game...  Which is why many are complaining that the mode feels incomplete - EA was trying to beat 2k to the punch to not lose any customers, so they threw it together quickly.

We were theorizing that 2K's angle was gonna be similar to what they currently do on NBA 2K, except being that they can't produce a "simulation" football game, it would have to be like pickup/sandlot football...  So, basically, you create an avatar/player, and you progress and develop him by playing against other people in pickup football games like 7v7s - much like The Park in NBA 2K which is 3v3 basketball against other users.  And I'm sure they'd have it where you can play with NFL Legends and such...  It seemed like an exciting concept, but then EA immediately announced The Yard mode in Madden 21.  Not a coincidence.  And again, I don't think they even care about the quality of it, they just want to present enough of an experience to get that audience on the game and then get their hooks in them with MUT.  Actually, they're already pushing microtransactions on The Yard as well for like custom uniforms, shoes, and gear.  

It's just sad...  one of their lead developers actually replied to someone's tweet this weekend where someone told him to fix the game and that it only had received a two-star rating...  to which the developer responded, "it's better than a 1."  Then another one of their employees tweeted out, calling the community/players "clowns." 

They don't care about anything but their profit and their shareholders. 

Archived