• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Madden 21 is apparently a steaming pile of poo

Jeremy Igo

I hate, hate, hate to give EA the benefit of the doubt for so many reasons but I can understand a subpar product this year. With so many companies having to switch to working remotely I'm sure a shitload fell through the cracks on this one. Just not the same as having the entire company under one roof, there's just going to be lots of inefficiencies. Not defending this piss-poor product, just offering an explanation why it's so shitty this year.

The main source of the negative reviews right now is the fact that there are some major glitches, particularly with the menus, which should never have passed QA in a AAA title. Couple that with the fact that there is little graphical change (as all sports sims have effectively maxed out the current gen hardware) and there you have the basis for the standard review.

There’s a decent game underneath. They made some major changes to User operated defense that, if you play competitively, really alter the ability to play defense. Defenders are noticeably slower and are significantly impacted by their change of direction stat which effectively means it’s much harder to user cover multiple routes. This was a conscious decision by EA.

They also reintroduced player-specific attributes similar to madden circa 09 albeit less impactful. I’ve found these implemented somewhat elegantly and they add to the experience, especially as they have modifiers that escalate based on performance in the specific game. They’re not as pronounced as Madden 09, but they definitely can affect decision making.

In the end, it is more or less the same story with Madden. It’s difficult to justify the cost if all you want is a casual football simulation, especially if you purchased a similar product last year. They did add a new 6 on 6 mode this year that’s been touted highly although I’ve yet to play it myself.

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

If they made a solid game that's free to play and just charged a subscription for roster updates they'd be rolling in cash and could take their time adding to it. That's how Fortnite is the biggest game on the planet.  Games-as-a-platform is the norm now but sports games are stuck in the dark ages. 

EA could never subsist on this model with their reputation. They’re the poster boy for micro transaction exploitation. Epic capitalized on trademarking themselves as the robin hood of the gaming industry. Their former campaign against steam about over-charging developers and current crusade against apple for the premiums apple charges to sell on their platform is in many ways a tacit recognition of this fact by Epic. 

23 minutes ago, MurkN said:

Pretty accurate. The only thing I’d take issue with is the assertion that Madden mediocrity is inherently a function of their exclusive license. Over the past several years, EA has unabashedly adopted a games-as-service business model plus shotgun approach where they brand a catchy franchise, rush games to market and adapt to critical response. The ones that hit; they milk with micro transactions.

They do this, Madden or not. Look at something like Anthem which was an obviously crowded space. 

The real story is that consumers have responded vigorously the past few years to express their discontent, with game releases primarily in the form of “review bombing”. 

Archived