• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TWO WEEKS OUT

Jeremy Igo

59 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Definately food for thought. I loved Cam as a person and a player but always felt accuracy and holding the ball were his biggest weaknesses. I suspect there's a fair chance you're right about TB's fit to this system. One thing you can say is that we definitely have skill position players who can make things happen after the catch, so the need to throw 30 yards to get 30 yards isn't there. I think a key question will be can Brady use Anderson and Samuel properly as deep threats often enough to keep defenses honest and can TB deliver when those plays are called?  I for one will be looking super close at these type plays to see if Okung and Moton can hold up consistently for the needed 3 seconds and the RB's performances as a chip blocker picking up blitzes could be crucial as well.

I suspect we'll try to get away with calling as few of these as possible early on since the lack of an offseason has left a new QB and reconstructed O line virtually no time to gell on blocking schemes and blitz pickups. The later we get into the season, the more we might see Brady willing to work some in and see what we get. That's my hunch anyway.

A lot of that was related to him feeling he had to carry the team, IMO. Same with playing through the obvious injuries. He built that Superman persona and he probably felt he always had not make A play but THE play. 

The coaches and management pretty much treated him the same way. Just let Cam go do it. In the end, that Superman mentality proved to be his kryptonite because as big of a freak athlete as he is, he doesn't have any of Superman's actual powers.

2 hours ago, musicman said:

Coach Rhule is the perfect person to lead this team during not only this time period of issues (pandemic, social, etc), but a newly turned over roster and coaching staff. The team will be exciting to watch even if we don't win a lot this year. They are not going to roll over this year and may get a few surprise and hard fought victories. They probably won't make the playoffs which is fine. Just get better and keep the team highly competitive, which I feel he will 100% do. The glass is half full, not half empty. 

I completely agree. I admit I am negative about the talent level on the offensive line and defensive backs, but I think it’s exciting to finally have a new coaching staff after having the same old failures under Rivera for a decade. Ron was a good coach for a time but his style had worn out. Excited about the energy and new ideas Rhule brings to the table and I hope you’re right about us seeing some surprising hard fought victories. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Unless there is an outbreak of epic proportions, I feel there will definitely be a game. 

Two months from now? No idea. But I plan on enjoying each game like it is the superbowl. 

More things can stop it than just a COVID outbreak. Another trigger happy moron with a badge could do it just as easily. I'll get my hopes up for some kind of season at 8:20 PM on 9/10. 

2 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Definately food for thought. I loved Cam as a person and a player but always felt accuracy and holding the ball were his biggest weaknesses. I suspect there's a fair chance you're right about TB's fit to this system. One thing you can say is that we definitely have skill position players who can make things happen after the catch, so the need to throw 30 yards to get 30 yards isn't there. I think a key question will be can Brady use Anderson and Samuel properly as deep threats often enough to keep defenses honest and can TB deliver when those plays are called?  I for one will be looking super close at these type plays to see if Okung and Moton can hold up consistently for the needed 3 seconds and the RB's performances as a chip blocker picking up blitzes could be crucial as well.

I suspect we'll try to get away with calling as few of these as possible early on since the lack of an offseason has left a new QB and reconstructed O line virtually no time to gell on blocking schemes and blitz pickups. The later we get into the season, the more we might see Brady willing to work some in and see what we get. That's my hunch anyway.

Yes-- in terms of pass protection, our OL is not great--better at the run (most all are).  But the need to keep the ball out of the air more and make a quick decision to get the ball in a playmaker's hands is greater than (as you say) throwing it 30 yards down field.  And we need a deep threat  and the need to make those throws if for no other reason, defensive honesty.  Once CMC starts gashing the defense, a play action and deep drop is the ideal time to do it.

Our offense with Cam did not have those sustained drives a team loves to have---and it was not as good at coming from behind as I hoped--but Cam was great here--he is a stellar person and maybe the most impressive athlete I have ever seen up close (Peppers and Lamar Lathan were as well--if you ever got the chance to see Lathan up close--it was freakish--as with JP).

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

A lot of that was related to him feeling he had to carry the team, IMO.

Absolutely.  He had Benjamin and Fuchess for a while and the RBs were a bit long in the tooth and OL play that was suspect.  I was very upset that he was taking too many hits--Cam was good enough to hide your weaknesses, but those weaknesses cost him a long career.  I think he will be out of the league by 2022--based on those hits.

33 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Absolutely.  He had Benjamin and Fuchess for a while and the RBs were a bit long in the tooth and OL play that was suspect.  I was very upset that he was taking too many hits--Cam was good enough to hide your weaknesses, but those weaknesses cost him a long career.  I think he will be out of the league by 2022--based on those hits.

I think he will have a long career because future(and current) coach doesn't plan on sacrificing him in a moronic manner. Belicheat always manages to get the most out of his QB's. He has conned the league into thinking multiple QB's were franchise players.

This will be a very enjoyable season for me to watch, even if we go 0-16.  With all the new pieces, both players and coaches,  it will be very interesting to see how we start, progress/digress, and finish.  Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if we finish around the .500 mark.  I think Matt Rhule will be a good fit for this team and situation.

Archived