• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When it is all said and done, who will have had the better career?

Jeremy Igo

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It just occured to me that Shaq has had a very average career this far. Chinn strikes me as a smaller version of him. Remember, Shaq was initially marked to play the joker role on defense. A safety/lb hybrid 

I dont think I'd consider Chinn to be smaller than Shaq by any means.

Jeremy Chinn (when drafted)

COLLEGE HEIGHT WEIGHT HAND SIZE ARM LENGTH WINGSPAN
So. Illinois 6-3 221 9 5/8 32 1/8 77 5/8

Shaq Thompson (when drafted)

PLAYER INFO

• Height
    6-0
  • Weight
  • Arms
  • Hands
    9 1/2

I'll gamble and say Chinn. Shaq has never looked like anything more than a decent starting OLB to me. Not a key player and not a weak link, just that standard solid starter type of guy. Honestly, I found his contract extension a bit baffling, but it is structured in a way that we can cut bait after two years if needed.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If you had to make a prediction today, would you say Shaq Thompson or Jeremy Chinn will have had the better career?

Chinn. 

Only because I think Shaq had a lot of wasted years and impacted his growth.   If TD had never existed I think Shaq would be a much different and better player today. 

Chinn got no road blocks or speed bumps in his way. 

Honestly, Chinn has earned nothing yet except his draft spot and maybe a signing bonus. 

Shaq has been playing as a starter for pretty much his whole career and learned his craft from Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis, two of the best in the business. His tenure included the 2015 season Super Bowl run. Never a liability, he solidified his play after his rookie season and was selected by the organization to carry the linebacker's torch after Luke retired.

Right now, it's Shaq by a mile. Chinn has a lot to prove, but if he can reach at least Shaq's level, we'll certainly benefit from that draft pick.

3 hours ago, Tbe said:

I’m assuming a lot, but I’ll say Chinn.

Shaq’s prime years are almost over and he hasn’t really seen that much playing time.

Chinn will likely start from day one. He’ll prob suck his first year, but he has a ton of time to get better.

Are you aware of Shaqs age? He just turned 26 a couple months ago, he was 20 on draft night. If you still believe he didnt get much playing time, hes in the middle of his prime with barely any wear.

Its very hard to answer this without seeing Chinn play a few games. Ill go with Shaq, mainly cause I feel Chinn will be dealing with injuries too often. 

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Are you aware of Shaqs age? He just turned 26 a couple months ago, he was 20 on draft night. If you still believe he didnt get much playing time, hes in the middle of his prime with barely any wear.

Its very hard to answer this without seeing Chinn play a few games. Ill go with Shaq, mainly cause I feel Chinn will be dealing with injuries too often. 

I’m aware. That’s why I said “almost over”. He’s not going to be an all pro at 30, so his athleticism is only going to decline from here. 

Lack of wear and tear is true, so we’ll see what happens. It’s a shame we wasted a 1st on him. He would have been better off on another team.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

I’m aware. That’s why I said “almost over”. He’s not going to be an all pro at 30, so his athleticism is only going to decline from here. 

Lack of wear and tear is true, so we’ll see what happens. It’s a shame we wasted a 1st on him. He would have been better off on another team.

Old TD kept his athleticism til 36, london fletcher did too. One of Shaqs best traits is he puts in weight room work. Joe Kenn said he always looks for a rookie leader, Shaq didnt sign to start. Once he hit the weight room Joe said "Thats my guy". Even after he got paid, Rhule has bragged on Shaq being early for weights and staying late for treatment. Panthers have a insanely high standard for LBs, Shaq is legit and his best football is now.  

8 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Old TD kept his athleticism til 36, london fletcher did too. One of Shaqs best traits is he puts in weight room work. Joe Kenn said he always looks for a rookie leader, Shaq didnt sign to start. Once he hit the weight room Joe said "Thats my guy". Even after he got paid, Rhule has bragged on Shaq being early for weights and staying late for treatment. Panthers have a insanely high standard for LBs, Shaq is legit and his best football is now.  

I'm very happy to hear that Shaq puts in the work in the weight room. That's important. But, we need him to take a big step on the football field. So far, he's basically been a JAG in the lineup. Good enough to get lots of snaps, not good enough to make a big impact with them. We're trying to build a winning football team, not a Crossfit squad. Not trying to be the best at exercising.

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm very happy to hear that Shaq puts in the work in the weight room. That's important. But, we need him to take a big step on the football field. So far, he's basically been a JAG in the lineup. Good enough to get lots of snaps, not good enough to make a big impact with them. We're trying to build a winning football team, not a Crossfit squad. Not trying to be the best at exercising.

Shaq had a really good year last year with 109 tackles and 3 sacks, thats not JAG by any means.

Archived