• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers try out a QB and a few receivers

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Just throwing sh!t at the wall right now 

You're not wrong, but I am glad we have a coaching staff that is willing to evaluate as many players as possible.  It seemed like under Rivera we rarely brought players in for workouts unless there was an injury or performance concern (never proactive).  

I hate Sean Payton and the Saints, but it seems like they are constantly working guys out even during the season to cover any contingency.  Winning in the NFL involves finding and exploiting the smallest advantage sometimes.

Especially in a year where Covid could affect so many players.  I think it goes along with Rhule's mantra about 1% better everyday.

Every year there are bottom-of-the-roster churn guys who end up playing key roles in both regular season and playoff games.

4 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he was signed to push Grier and PJ Walker

Yep.  Ain't nobody going without competition under Rhule at any spot on the roster.  It was beyond apparent way too many guys (especially on defense) got way too comfortable with their (lack of) effort last year.

I think some of it is just natural under the life cycle of a coach.  Fox and Rivera both had that mantra when they came to Carolina as most coaches do taking over losing teams.  They had clear objectivity on the state of the roster.

But both Fox and Rivera got more complacent over their tenures once they had more and more of their "own" guys.  These guys had earned their spot early on and got the coaches' favor, but as time went on and their skills diminished, Fox and Rivera weren't able to apply the same objectivity and kept guys here too long and/or wouldn't give younger guys with upside the chance unless they had to.

Fox wasn't going to play a young QB in any circumstance unless he had to.  Rivera played guys like Silatolu over Norwell and Josh Thomas over Josh Norman.

In fairness, they happens to most coaches.  It's what makes a "players" coach.  Guys like when coaches show loyalty, even when it's unwarranted.  That inevitably leads to mediocrity.  

I hope Rhule keeps this edge no matter what.  Usually only the A-hole coaches keep that edge.  And even with that, they have to keep winning for the players to buy in (i.e. Belichick).

I am interested in what happens in New Orleans this season.  Payton is an a-hole for the most part, but if one player could make a coach lose his objectively, it's a future HOFer like Brees, who has shown evident decline in the 2nd half and playoffs the past 3 seasons.  Brees was the 3rd best QB in their last playoff loss behind Hill and Cousins.

I'm also interested in seeing how Brady does b/c Belichick did punt on Brady after last season.  Was he right or does Brady have anything left, and like Brees, even if he does, can it last a whole season plus at their age?

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

McDonald is a freaking gunslinger. I mean that positively and negatively. Dude has a cannon but also throws several WTF balls every game. He might top Jameis' 30 INTs but he'd also have some crazy Mahomes/Favre type throws too.

Hopefully Grier can overcome and battle it out with 4 QBs and solidify his supremacy as the back up to the back up XFL/Practice squad QB...I’d hate to see a third round pick go to waste.

15 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Something that occasionally gets done at the college level. I don't really recall it being done at the pro level though. People have squandered talent at the NFL level, not naming any names Ron Rivera, but I don't ever recall someone successfully making something out of nothing for more than anything but a few games and leading a marginally talented team to consistent victory.

These are new rhules! :tongue:

No, I understand that it's not the same. But you still have coaches who get the best out of what they've got on the NFL level. (and those who don't) Obviously you're going to need real talent to reach the summit though.

20 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

McDonald is a freaking gunslinger. I mean that positively and negatively. Dude has a cannon but also throws several WTF balls every game. He might top Jameis' 30 INTs but he'd also have some crazy Mahomes/Favre type throws too.

Remember what Parody Brett Favre told fake high school QB: "Bobby, completions are way more exciting when your force them through triple coverage! Remember that!"

3 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

All I know is, Cam Phillips played with PJ Walker, yall do the math. Cam Phillips was the BEST WR in the XFL. 

Cam Phillips is a local Charlotte kid. Yes he led the XFL and he has talent. I hope we find room for him if only on the PS.

Archived