• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things I think I think from watching today's training camp practice

Jeremy Igo

On 8/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, stbugs said:

I’d rather have the top QB than “confidence.” End of the season wins didn’t help the Browns going into last year. We had plenty of confidence at the start of 2018 and 2019 and it went away.

We've had two SB runs. They both started with 1 or 2 win years that got us two studs. It’s worked before and while nothing is a sure thing, you still take one of the QB who are going to be rated way higher than the recent QBs and hope for the best. I’ll take another Cam versus a 5-11 rah rah we improved season.

Having a franchise QB = best chance to get back to SB with CMC, Moore, the young D and a few more pieces we need. I’d love to have more cap and comp picks too, but I can at least hope for the QB.

ESPECIALLY a young, franchise QB on a Rookie deal.  Thats the most valuable thing in the NFL today.

21 minutes ago, joemac said:

ESPECIALLY a young, franchise QB on a Rookie deal.  Thats the most valuable thing in the NFL today.

Yep, like the rams tried and like the Chiefs just did.  Get to a point where you have a solid foundation and then spend the money on a FA to fill any holes and make a run at it

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yep, like the rams tried and like the Chiefs just did.  Get to a point where you have a solid foundation and then spend the money on a FA to fill any holes and make a run at it

You mean like the $90M we could have stashed over this year and the rookie QB’s first year instead of Short, Teddy and Anderson. Would that allow us to sign some big time fee agents for the rest of said rookie QB’s contract and would having another 3rd and 4th round pick help if we want to draft a poo ton of OL next year? Oh well. 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, stbugs said:

I’d rather have the top QB than “confidence.” End of the season wins didn’t help the Browns going into last year. We had plenty of confidence at the start of 2018 and 2019 and it went away.

First pick past 10 years:

• 2020: Joe Burrow
  • 2019: Kyler Murray
  • 2018: Baker Mayfield
  • 2017: Myles Garrett
  • 2016: Jared Goff
  • 2015: Jameis Winston
  • 2014: Jadeveon Clowney
  • 2013: Eric Fisher
  • 2012: Andrew Luck
  • 2011: Cam Newton
  • 2010: Sam Bradford

Sam Bradford is a cripple, Cam just signed for vet minimum, Luck retired, Jameis is a back up, Goff is bad and overpaid, Mayfield has been terrible despite having some of the best FA signings around him, Kyler Murray is reputedly pretty good, Burrow is unknown.  No Super Bowl wins in the group.

24 minutes ago, sry said:

Sam Bradford is a cripple, Cam just signed for vet minimum, Luck retired, Jameis is a back up, Goff is bad and overpaid, Mayfield has been terrible despite having some of the best FA signings around him, Kyler Murray is reputedly pretty good, Burrow is unknown.  No Super Bowl wins in the group.

Fisher just won a Super Bowl. Cam and Goff both made the SB and had chances to win. Luck took a bad team to multiple playoffs just had some bad injuries and decided to retire. The last 4 have barely played enough to count.

All that said, WTF does this list matter? How many of these QBs will have the grades of Lawrence and maybe Fields/Lance. Mayfield and Murray weren’t even sure things to go #1. There’s a big difference between Peyton Manning coming out and JaMarcus Russell. That’s like saying don’t take LeBron James is on the same level as Kwame Brown because they both went first overall. The 2021 top QBs aren’t Mayfield vs Darnold or Winston vs Mariota. They are far more like Luck vs Peyton or maybe even Cam (I honestly don’t recall his predraft grades).

If you really want to dig deep and actually act like first round QBs don’t win SBs/get to SBs then you are being obtuse. There’s a bunch of #1 overall picks, early first rounder and first round QBs that have won/gone to SBs. If you call Brady, Wilson and Montana the once a decade exceptions then either you think you can pull that rabbit out of the hat or you have to draft a QB in the first. First overall gets you a fantastic prospect this year that could be on a Manning or Brady level, much more so than any of the past 8 years.

This schtick of acting like Lawrence or Fields/Lance, if we get to see them, wouldn’t be a great get for this team is precious.

On 8/21/2020 at 11:18 AM, t96 said:

Is Teddy really considered an injury risk? He had 1 big injury like 3 years ago and hasn’t (as far as I know) had any other setbacks or time missed since then, albeit yes in limited playing time, but still.

that's what i was going to say.   as major of an injury as that was, he's been in tip-top shape ever since and is never out with strained hamstrings, muscles, or getting pulled off the sideline all the time.  he's also taken some big hits in New Orleans and has been just fine.  Teddy's no more of an injury risk than anyone else.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:31 AM, AU-panther said:

People don't want to admit it, but it is totally plausible for this staff to believe that Teddy is better equipped to do what they want schematically than Cam was, and they might be correct. 

That doesn't mean Teddy is the better QB, that just means Teddy might be better at doing what they want a QB to do.  

Exactly.  Teddy Bridgewater and Cam Newton are as different as two QBs could be with completely different strengths and weaknesses.    Cam has also been out 2 seasons with entirely differing injuries so it is perfectly understandable if they didn't want to go through that again.  Which is also why the Patriots have so little $ committed to Cam.  the issues with Cam are health related and to do with business.  Panthers moved on.  Teddy will win with the Panthers but some fans need to see it to believe it.  Just ask Saints fans about Teddy....

On 8/21/2020 at 7:01 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

I think they lose a bunch at the start, but out together some wins late in the season. I'm thinking 5-11

I don't know what beats you've covered in the past, but I've followed Teddy his entire pro-career and he brings more intangibles to the table than most, with significant clutch play since rookie year even (something u can confirm with your peers).  I don't know enough about this re-building defense to comment (or correlate that to team wins), but offensively I think they are going to shock the NFL at how good they become.  With Teddy's ability to win and truly elite level leadership, along with this arsenal of speedy weapons, and Joe Brady running it.  I predict this year or next, the Panthers become one of the most exciting offenses in the NFL, the next trendy "IT" offense.  With McCaffrey becoming this generation's Marshall Faulk, and Joe Brady ends up Head Coach somewhere within a couple years.

3 minutes ago, Teddy Time said:

I don't know what beats you've covered in the past, but I've followed Teddy his entire pro-career and he brings more intangibles to the table than most, with significant clutch play since rookie year even (something u can confirm with your peers).  I don't know enough about this re-building defense to comment (or correlate that to team wins), but offensively I think they are going to shock the NFL at how good they become.  With Teddy's ability to win and truly elite level leadership, along with this arsenal of speedy weapons, and Joe Brady running it.  I predict this year or next, the Panthers become one of the most exciting offenses in the NFL, the next trendy "IT" offense.  With McCaffrey becoming this generation's Marshall Faulk, and Joe Brady ends up Head Coach somewhere within a couple years.

I'm not doubting Teddy is a good game manager.

I'm doubting an offensive line and a young inexperienced defense.

On 8/24/2020 at 5:49 PM, sry said:

Exaxtly, Mahomes at 10 is the highest drafted QB to win a trophy since the Mannings. The vast majority of current and recent greats were taken at a place we will have access to.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:00 PM, bandu said:

why is anyone projecting Rhule to be the coach for the next decade this early in his career makes no logical sense whatsoever...just saying this the NFL show me 

we gave him a 7 year contract.. Im assuming that means unless the tires fall off he gets at least 3 years to build the team back up... 

Archived