• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things I think I think from watching today's training camp practice

Jeremy Igo

I attended today's Carolina Panthers training camp practice. Here are a few abstract and sometimes unfinished thoughts I have mulling in my brain. 

- Teddy Bridgewater looks sharp. As sharp as any Panthers QB I have seen this early in camp. Most throws were on the money and good decisions. There were some off targets but no more than any other starting QB has thrown.

- Teddy and CMC seem to have already developed a really good chemistry on the field. Teddy hit CMC in stride most of the time, aside from one throw that was thrown slighty behind him and intercepted.  I find it very possible that CMC has an even better year this season with Bridgewater under center. 

- The backup QB position is a pretty far distance from the starter. Neither QB had a great day to my eyes. PJ threw an ill advised pass during goal line drills that was tipped and intercepted by Cole Luke. Will Grier did have a really nice touchdown in the back of the end zone during the same drill but otherwise had a pedestrian day. 

- I was impressed how everything in general was organized in this chaotic time. Checking in, getting temperature checked, and all the details that go along with practicing during a pandemic went smoothly. 

- The first highlight of the day was a touchdown pass from Teddy to DJ Moore on blown coverage. Bridgewater showed a nice touch on the ball to the back corner of the end zone. 

- I can confirm that practices are up beat and little time is spent transitioning from one set of drills to another. Again, everything is very well organized. 

- There was plenty of banter and cheering from both players and coaches during the practices. Clearly, this team has moved on from the old regime and is quickly coming together as the new Carolina Panthers. 

- I am more excited for Joe Brady's offense than I was before attending camp. I am prohibited from getting into specifics, but if nothing else the offense is going to be really fun to watch. I just hope the Panthers get several years with Brady before a team snatches him up in a Chudzinski move. 

5 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Can you compare and contrast the practice vibe between Ron and Rhule? What is similar and what is different, Covid excluded?

More up beat, more music, more coaches getting excited for their players. Just more energy and a younger feel all around. 

16 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The backup QB position is a pretty far distance from the starter. Neither QB had a great day to my eyes. PJ threw an ill advised pass during goal line drills that was tipped and intercepted by Cole Luke. Will Grier did have a really nice touchdown in the back of the end zone during the same drill but otherwise had a pedestrian day. 

I was surprised they traded away Kyle Allen. He has all the makings of a long term solid backup in the NFL. I get that trading him for a 5th round pick was an immediate value, but both the QBs they have are developmental prospects. Given Bridgewater's injury risk, you'd think keeping a guy like Allen around would have been a no brainer. Or at least bringing in someone who has starting experience. 

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

I was surprised they traded away Kyle Allen. He has all the makings of a long term solid backup in the NFL. I get that trading him for a 5th round pick was an immediate value, but both the QBs they have are developmental prospects. Given Bridgewater's injury risk, you'd think keeping a guy like Allen around would have been a no brainer. Or at least bringing in someone who has starting experience. 

I think they want a backup who could possible turn into a solid starter. I think they saw enough of Allen to say that wasn't the case. 

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

he doesn't have any ties to anyone on the new regime

makes more sense for him to go there where he's familiar with the system

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Is Teddy really considered an injury risk? He had 1 big injury like 3 years ago and hasn’t (as far as I know) had any other setbacks or time missed since then, albeit yes in limited playing time, but still.

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I think they want a backup who could possible turn into a solid starter. I think they saw enough of Allen to say that wasn't the case. 

Showed way more than Will Grier did. Hurney probably isn't ready to give up on him after spending a 3rd round pick on him though. Will Grier couldn't even complete a pass....

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Showed way more than Will Grier did. Hurney probably isn't ready to give up on him after spending a 3rd round pick on him though. Will Grier couldn't even complete a pass....

Yeah, but Grier was a Hurney draft pick. That usually buys you a few years automatically. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yeah, but Grier was a Hurney draft pick. That usually buys you a few years automatically. 

And that right there is why the Panthers have been a thoroughly mediocre franchise since they came into existence. Traded away a guy who showed potential, kept a guy who sucked because he was a high draft pick. Kyle Allen moved the offense and had issues with turnovers, as many young QBs tend to do. Grier looked absolutely lost. 

I hope PJ Walker develops quickly, I've got no faith in Will Grier being anything more than Jimmy Clausen was.

Archived