• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coach Rhule speaks on Panthers QB's.

Jeremy Igo

44 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I think we can set Brady over in the group with Montana, Manning, Kelly, Marino, Unitas and Graham that never needed a competition. They are the outliers. Mere mortals like the rest of the world get and need some competition.

There are plenty of players who need no position competition and won’t have any, it’s classic coachspeak that every position is a competition. It’s certainly true for depth purposes, but there are a ton of starters throughout the league that are 100% entrenched in their spot and nothing in the immediate future could change that, despite the constant notions of “competition.” 

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Brady never had a QB competition in NE in his life. Bledsoe was the clear starter until he got hurt, then Brady came in and they won and he was handed the starting job. They traded away Bledsoe immediately and not once after that did Belichick ever have a QB competition with Brady. 

Belichick wanted to trade Brady to the Niners instead of Jimmy G. Kraft vetoed that.

22 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Belichick wanted to trade Brady to the Niners instead of Jimmy G. Kraft vetoed that.

Sure but as long as Brady was on the roster he was the starter. Trading him away to give someone else the job isn’t a competition.

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

the 100th overall pick is now a top pick?

Top half of the draft yes.

I can think of a lot better things to do with a third rounder. You really want me to go back to the draft and list what could’ve been?

But you’re right, we will have a solid backup to the backup QB for years to come, so long as we keep 3 QBs on the team. I should be happy.

It’s weird he has such a hardcore fanbase here...it was clearly an awful move by Hurney...and PJ walker comes in from the XFL/Colts practice squad and looks better than Grier? And it still seems like a valid move to you guys? What in the actual fug.

No wonder Hurney historically reaches for hometown heroes...we have one hell of a dumbass fanbase that it actually matters to.

7 hours ago, t96 said:

There are plenty of players who need no position competition and won’t have any, it’s classic coachspeak that every position is a competition. It’s certainly true for depth purposes, but there are a ton of starters throughout the league that are 100% entrenched in their spot and nothing in the immediate future could change that, despite the constant notions of “competition.” 

Agreed.  Rhule's quote is clearly "coachspeak" too.

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

Top half of the draft yes.

I can think of a lot better things to do with a third rounder. You really want me to go back to the draft and list what could’ve been?

But you’re right, we will have a solid backup to the backup QB for years to come, so long as we keep 3 QBs on the team. I should be happy.

It’s weird he has such a hardcore fanbase here...it was clearly an awful move by Hurney...and PJ walker comes in from the XFL/Colts practice squad and looks better than Grier? And it still seems like a valid move to you guys? What in the actual fug.

No wonder Hurney historically reaches for hometown heroes...we have one hell of a dumbass fanbase that it actually matters to.

Pick 100 over last few years and best seasons

2019 Will Grier QB Carolina

2018 Dorian Odaniel LB Kansas City 34 tackles

2017 Jonnu Smith TE Titans 35 catches 439 yds 3 TDs

2016 Connor Cook QB Raiders 1 year in NFL

2015 Angelo Blackson DE Houston/Titans 24 tkl 1 sack

I think you are over valuing the 100th pick by a lot.

4 hours ago, jfra78 said:

I didn’t even read his response lol

5 hours ago, jfra78 said:

You’re picking one pick out of a draft of hundreds of players? How is that even relevant? Make a list of everyone drafted after Grier that would have been better than a back up to the back up QB. It’s a pretty long list.

26 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I didn’t even read his response lol

looooool Hilarious, hometown Hurney heroes ftw! 

at least this FO hasn’t disappointed you since 1995, I envy that.

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

You’re picking one pick out of a draft of hundreds of players? How is that even relevant? Make a list of everyone drafted after Grier that would have been better than a back up to the back up QB. It’s a pretty long list.

looooool Hilarious, hometown Hurney heroes ftw! 

at least this FO hasn’t disappointed you since 1995, I envy that.

Hindsight is 20/20, that isn't fair to any GM.  

Archived